Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-20-2016, 10:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

1936 Kadette "Jewel"

Once in a while I get to cross-off a wish-list radio and this is one of those times. It's a 1936 Kadette "Jewel" model 40. It was in dirty "as-found" condition when I got it. It just needed a good cleaning a polishing. The chassis is completely original and even the cloth cord and long antenna wire is in great shape. There was MANY color variations! I've realized that this one I have doesn't have the more typical solid color grille, but a more swirled type.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is a really nice looking set you got there Joe. Great find!

Gregb
Old 02-21-2016, 06:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregb View Post
That is a really nice looking set you got there Joe. Great find!

Gregb
Thanks Greg.The surprising thing about it is just how small it is! It looks a bit bigger in pics, but it's just a handful. The grille is tiny and very delicate. I can't figure how any of these survived in one piece after 80 years!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:17 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Homina, homina, Homina... Well, I'M in Love ! (grin)
Old 02-21-2016, 09:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Homina, homina, Homina... Well, I'M in Love ! (grin)
...and though the $200 price was pretty much top retail, I've paid much more for sets with far less eye-appeal. Worth every penny of that in my opinion. I notice it takes time to land a good complete one though. They're often missing the tiny wafer-thin escutcheons, incorrect knobs, badly warped/cracked-grille, etc. I jumped at this one because I saw it had no issues and I wasn't going to wait for another chance!
Audiokarma
Old 02-21-2016, 12:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
...and though the $200 price was pretty much top retail, I've paid much more for sets with far less eye-appeal. Worth every penny of that in my opinion. I notice it takes time to land a good complete one though. They're often missing the tiny wafer-thin escutcheons, incorrect knobs, badly warped/cracked-grille, etc. I jumped at this one because I saw it had no issues and I wasn't going to wait for another chance!
The set must've been kept in a ideal place. As you stated, they're generally not in this kind of condition, especially the speaker grill!
I looked up the schematic, it's in Riders 6&7. The power cord is the resistance type, 300 ohms.
Did you try it? Does it work?
Old 02-21-2016, 07:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The set must've been kept in a ideal place. As you stated, they're generally not in this kind of condition, especially the speaker grill!
I looked up the schematic, it's in Riders 6&7. The power cord is the resistance type, 300 ohms.
Did you try it? Does it work?
Yes, it has a resistance line cord. I powered it up on the variac and got nothing. One day I will get it up on my repairman's bench. Right now I'm just enjoying it as a piece of eye-candy!
.....and thanks Rick!

Last edited by decojoe67; 02-21-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Yes, it has a resistance line cord. I powered it up on the variac and got nothing. One day I will get it up on my repairman's bench. Right now I'm just enjoying it as a piece of eye-candy!
.....and thanks Rick!
If the set's totally dead, no tube light up or hum, it's possible that the resistance line cord is open, even though it looks to be in perfect condition.
The resistance element was made of an iron alloy, that was subject to rusting open. You can still use the cord, but only use the two line leads.
I use the capacitor-reactance method of heater dropping, about 12.3 mfd for your heater string.
BTW, the 12A7, rectifier and output tube is quite novel!
Old 02-21-2016, 02:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice!