Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-14-2016, 09:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

I found "Most" of a Zenith Transoceanic today!

Hi all!. Found at a yard sale today (cheap), after a little cleaning of band selectors switches. It works! The lid and original wavemagnet are missing and the hinges are broken off. It is a model G500. Now i am on the hunt for a parts set to replace the broken/missing parts.
Logan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0307.jpg (98.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 10-18-2016, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_fixer View Post
Hi all!. Found at a yard sale today (cheap), after a little cleaning of band selectors switches. It works! The lid and original wavemagnet are missing and the hinges are broken off. It is a model G500. Now i am on the hunt for a parts set to replace the broken/missing parts.
Logan
Good luck finding a parts unit on the cheap because those early tube powered Transoceanics even non-working parts units can go for hundreds of dollars on ebay.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Good luck finding a parts unit on the cheap because those early tube powered Transoceanics even non-working parts units can go for hundreds of dollars on ebay.
There is a local vintage radio club in Nashville, i've found many zenith t/o parts there over the years. luckily this isn't a Clipper model so it will be pretty inexpensive. I just checked on ebay and a parts case and wavemagnet sold for $25 plus shipping about a month ago. There is a complete g500 on nashville craigslist for $39 right now, but that is too much.
Not mine by the way if anyone else is interested in it.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/clt/5750565730.html
Old 10-19-2016, 07:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cool! I just finished restoring one I found on craigslist for $25.

Here are the parts you need, but they don't come cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zenith-Trans...kAAOSwTA9X2eaG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-TRANS...cAAOSw3ydV2kR8
Old 10-21-2016, 08:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcompton79 View Post
Cool! I just finished restoring one I found on craigslist for $25.

Here are the parts you need, but they don't come cheap:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zenith-Trans...kAAOSwTA9X2eaG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-TRANS...cAAOSw3ydV2kR8
Yep, $25 is the right price for a condition unknown tube g500, h500, l600series T/O. that guy asking $45 for a antenna and $80 for a case is crazy. all you need is patience. and you can find what you need for a fair price. Remember if you want to know what something is worth, check the completed auctions and only pay attention to what actually sold "in green numbers" not what they asked for it.
Audiokarma
Old 11-12-2016, 06:51 PM
Collector of heavy things

My B600 was the same way when I got it, as its previous owner had opted to remove the front cover for some reason. Of course, the 600-series had moved the Wavemagnet out from the front cover, so this wasn't a huge impediment to operation. I did eventually get a replacement front cover (from a parted-out A600) which was a bit of a pain to install due to the cramped space near where it screws in, but straightforward otherwise. Here's a lousy photo of my B600 in this condition:

Stereo: Pioneer SPEC-4, Pioneer SPEC-1, Kenwood KT-7500, Dual 1219, Nakamichi BX-100, Pioneer PD-M60, Paradigm Studio Monitors
Old 11-12-2016, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I may have what you need. I have a few parts sets.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I just cleaned my shed and had to let go of an old case. I saved the lower handle trim and a few of the pinch latches (mostly for the screws), but I failed to save the darned hinges. Sorry guy! I figured most people were getting complete units now that online entities such as Ebay have made them so plentiful.

I see all of the models fairly regularly go for decent prices except for the first model with the airplane on it from WW2. Those get pretty pricey.