Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Panasonic TR-1010P No Vertical Deflection

I have one of these little guys. It has a crisp vertical line (yes, I turned down the brightness) from no vertical deflection. Has anyone ever worked on one of these and if so, is there a usual failure component in the vertical sweep section? I don't have a schematic. It was manufactured in April, 1981.

Most of my experience is with 40s-50s B/W and Color vacuum tube sets. I collect Sony Watchman sets and added this little guy to the collection.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't have a service manual or schematic, but those are plagued by electrolytic capacitor failure. If you open it up, you will find a lot of corroded and leaking caps and damaged traces on the circuit boards - these boards do not do well when the caps leak.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:40 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I had this happen to my 1010 MANY years ago. Mine would get the vertical back when you would squeeze the thing. Turned out it had some real dodgy looking cold solder joints.

NOW my 1010 is a "basket case" due to my not being able to figure out a complete loss of it's tuner section. I only JUST today found another 1010 that I have not looked at yet. It's complete and EVERYTHING is in it's box...and in the styrofoam, but the ebay seller for some reason says it's not working. I'm gambling the fifteen bucks I got it for on the seller simply not getting a signal. That was how my little GE 4" color "boombox" showed up....and ended up PERFECTLY fine.

Be careful getting into the 1010. Just be careful of the ribbon connector that joins the upper and lower boards. I have no schematics for any of the little Panny micros...so I LIKE them...but I do NOT fancy working on 'em really. I have a 1020, 1030 and the little CT-101 as well, but have not gotten into any of those sets. I did have to sorta "re-assemble" the CT 101...because it's a crappy case even when new.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the replies. I got this thing from "that auction site" for $0.99. The guy said that he put three batteries in it and got nothing. Well, it takes four AA batteries. But it still has no vertical deflection. I mentioned that the line is crisp which to me means that it has excellent focus etc.

I have a Dick Smith ESR meter so I will most likely look into those pesky little electrolytic capacitors. Yes, bulging doesn't get it!

I collect little televisions since the analog went off of the air. They often go cheap and I just think that they are just cute. I have an assortment of the Sony jobs and this is my first Panasonic. Maybe one day, the TR-001! I do have a mint Sony FD-210 in the box, with all accessories and yes, it does work! I also have another basket case that had corroded batteries that leaked all down into the PC board. I hate to see that.

Again, thanks for the comments and I welcome any and many more. I usually "Hang Out" in the B/W and Color forums above this one and also on AK.

And, my real name is Don Cavey...
Old 09-25-2012, 07:06 PM
"micro" and quirky

I sorta live HERE in this brand new category.....but actually I love to cruise ALL the TV set related categories.

I collect almost entirely "micro" stuff....and usually quircky weirdo things like the Panasonic flip-up Bladerunners, bi-siders and stuff I find odd in design. I live in a small two-bedroom flat....so don't have room to play with the big boys and their big roundie toys :-P

I 100% LOVE to watch though. Big consoles I can't even fathom bringing upstairs, the guy doing his REAL meticulous restore of the Predicta...including reproducing all the little epoxy modules on neat little perfboards!

My projects pretty much hafta fit on a coffeetable or a couple TV trays, or I just can't take it on. I also don't have room for as many "bench tools" as I'd like. I think my next purchase is going to HAVE to be a decent little ESR meter though. I'm pretty sure I replace four to ten times more caps than I need to from just not being able to REALLY check 'em.

Last edited by AiboPet; 09-25-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 09-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Yeah, but, Aibo, these "L'il Guys" have a charm all their own...And you GOTTA marvel at the engineering smarts that could take a TV from a shoebox-sized affair, down to something about the size of a summer paperback pool-side potboiler..
Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Yeah, but, Aibo, these "L'il Guys" have a charm all their own...And you GOTTA marvel at the engineering smarts that could take a TV from a shoebox-sized affair, down to something about the size of a summer paperback pool-side potboiler..
Ain't that the truth! And we whine about the Philco Predicta...
Old 09-25-2012, 07:49 PM
"micro" and quirky

Yes....I like how small they are. This makes for an astonishing display in just a corner of a room. I have like a dozen in a corner.....twenty in another. One corner of just nothing but eighteen of that EXACT same little "Coby" style cheap chinese thing....all in different colors. I'm like the CAT LADY of real little TV sets. I think I last counted like 60 or 70 of 'em between the front room, bedroom and the few sets allover the flat.

Just this afternoon I FINALLY have one of those little Singer 6" mil-spec looking thing coming from the ePay site (AND got my little 1010 I "killed" replaced I think).
Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 PM
"micro" and quirky

I would have a Predicta. I would MAKE room for one. I'm afraid I just don't have the space, tools and knowledge with tubes to really have one. I need to just someday have a very small tube set. Maybe one of those little high deflection table sets from the late fifties will show up here in San Diego some day. I just love those big low profile sets. They are like the flat screens of the fifties :-P
Old 09-25-2012, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
I need to just someday have a very small tube set. Maybe one of those little high deflection table sets from the late fifties will show up here in San Diego some day.
The little vacuum tube portable that really amazes me is the 11" Admiral from (I think) the early 60s... Nice side view in this eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Admi...item4d050646b1

Not affiliated,
jr
Audiokarma
Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
The little vacuum tube portable that really amazes me is the 11" Admiral from (I think) the early 60s... Nice side view in this eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Admi...item4d050646b1

Not affiliated,
jr
By the looks of that channel selector, that set has seen lots of use! But it does have a good picture to start from...
Old 09-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I have 2 of that Admiral's smaller-8" or so- brothers. Mine are greyish/white.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:52 PM
"micro" and quirky

An 8" low profile tube set would be so COOL!!!