Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:33 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Cabinet is soon to hit the curb (it is just to cheap, beat up moldy and rotten for me), I plan to keep the CRT to go into another of my sets, the chassis to keep a similar set going, the face mask (why not?), the back and every screw I can pull out of the cabinet.
Not sure if you knew this but the mask and control panel/speaker grille are one piece so it may not be practical for use in another set. By the way, that's a lot of screws. You may want to use a reversing drill, taking them out without one gets old fast.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:23 PM
Motorola Minion

Tom, seeing a TV rising out of a mob-sized trunk takes me waaay back to my pre-pickup truck days I scrapped out a working 29JC45 for the same reason, a cheap cabinet. Still have all of it I think. Imagine, getting the CCII as a cheaper model - LOL
Old 09-05-2017, 03:45 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I abandoned the idea of restoring my Sylvania's cabinet but didn't want to scrap the set so instead I chose to await a donor cabinet. Almost nothing was re-usable, it would have been like trying to restore a modern car in decades to come.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:55 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Not sure if you knew this but the mask and control panel/speaker grille are one piece so it may not be practical for use in another set. By the way, that's a lot of screws. You may want to use a reversing drill, taking them out without one gets old fast.
I actually did most of them with the crudest tool you can picture a bent flat head driver stuck into a 1/4" socket....(later I grabbed a proper wrench for a couple of the stuck ones)....I've had years of un-powered tool hi-jinks (ever since I could hold screwdriver) and have some decent leather on my fingers....I can take out screws with my fingertips that my day would have find hard to remove using a driver.......Of course I found out yesterday that all that leather don't do a damn bit of good if it ain't where you need it when you need it...Sliced the side of my right hand just below the pinky open (needed 5 stitches) on a damn satellite DVR box I was scrapping. I did not have anything to get the stupid security screws loose and decided to pry the boards out....Would not have though the chassis was that sharp, but with enough force suddenly freed....

I wanted this extended weekend to be a a time to sort the basement and bang out some projects, and it just ended up a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Tom, seeing a TV rising out of a mob-sized trunk takes me waaay back to my pre-pickup truck days I scrapped out a working 29JC45 for the same reason, a cheap cabinet. Still have all of it I think. Imagine, getting the CCII as a cheaper model - LOL
Yup can't beat big American iron for getting things places. I imagine some informed late CCII buyers were laughing all the way home from the TV dealer back in the day.

I kept the whole cabinet face and base trim. If I cared enough about that set all I'd have to do to recreate the cabinet is find some particle board with similar fake wood grain on it, cut sides and top to the old dimensions, add some cross members and bolt the plastic front/side trim on. If I ever find a gutted danish modern combo or something I like as well that fist the face mask I can always stuff a CCII into it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-05-2017, 06:40 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I actually did most of them with the crudest tool you can picture a bent flat head driver stuck into a 1/4" socket....(later I grabbed a proper wrench for a couple of the stuck ones)....I've had years of un-powered tool hi-jinks (ever since I could hold screwdriver) and have some decent leather on my fingers....I can take out screws with my fingertips that my day would have find hard to remove using a driver.......Of course I found out yesterday that all that leather don't do a damn bit of good if it ain't where you need it when you need it...Sliced the side of my right hand just below the pinky open (needed 5 stitches) on a damn satellite DVR box I was scrapping. I did not have anything to get the stupid security screws loose and decided to pry the boards out....Would not have though the chassis was that sharp, but with enough force suddenly freed....

I wanted this extended weekend to be a a time to sort the basement and bang out some projects, and it just ended up a waste.
I should really get a good pair of work gloves and use the right tools for the job but I never learn. Right now lefty is damaged in two places; the palm took a beating scraping paint off an old table with a mini nut driver, and while digging around under the living room radiator for a lost alignment tool I found a piece of glass instead. It put quite a slice in the side of the second finger. I disposed of a used-up CRT recently and thought I had gotten all the glass but no joy.

Last edited by Jon A.; 09-05-2017 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Typo
Audiokarma
Old 09-05-2017, 07:16 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
I should really get a good pair of work gloves and use the right tools for the job but I never learn. Right now lefty is damaged in two places; the palm took a beating scraping paint off an old table with a mini nut driver, and while digging around under the living room radiator for a lost alignment tool I found a piece of glass instead. It put quite a slice in the side of the second finger. I disposed of a used-up CRT recently and thought I had gotten all the glass but no joy.
Sailors collect tattoos, real men collect scars.....

Tom - sorry to hear of the injury - keep it clean and dry. Cellulitis is a real pain. When I was 14, I was "climbing" shelf-to-shelf amongst my Dad's junk chassis (800 sq ft, all shelves), and fell - scraped my palm across a Sylvania circuit board bottom. 32 little lacerations, only got one stitch and 3 weeks of healing. All that for a 5600 ohm 7W resistor - "Dad, don't buy one, I know where one is...." He had the resistor, but had to clean the blood off. Be careful guys, and get those tetanus shots too.

Get a set of work gloves - Walmart here had the polyurethane grip type on clearance, sadly I didn't grab a pair. I od like the Mechanix kind, but they do snag a lot in electronics. No ideal pair out there for me.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!