Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

1951 Zenith H3477

Hello VK!

I am a new member to this forum but I have been hanging in the AK forum for a while now. I am using the same profile name as AK.

So I have a 1951 Zenith H3477 that seems complete with a wired two button remote. Is this thing worth the rebuild/restore? I have not plugged it in or anything because I figure that it needs some work before power gets applied. Mine looks like the one in the pic. Any good info or insight it greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951-Zenith-H3477-19in.JPG (32.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-08-2017, 12:53 PM
M is for Memory

With any TV the two hardest parts to get are the CRT and flyback transformer. If either are bad it can set you back the better part of the set's value to get replacements.

I'd look up the schematic which likely can be found here: http://www.earlytelevision.org/tv_sc...ms_zenith.html and use it to ohm out the flyback.

You will want to get the CRT tested by a proper CRT tester too (search testing CRTs here for more info).

If you want you could also simply roll the dice and start a recap without testing things if you wish...Some do that if they can't test the CRT and really love the set.

Sets like that vary from about $50 to around $300 depending on condition, location and number of interested buyers....Would be more if it was a TV only set since the combos are harder to transport and find space for.

Bear in mind most TV restos are not money making propositions...You could throw $100 in that set for a full recap, need to sell it later for a move, and find out that there are no TV collectors in a 350 mile radius, and no one wants to you $50 for it.

It all boils down to what having it working is worth to you.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-08-2017, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the reply.

I meant worth a rebuild for me. I don't mind putting some work into it. I guess I was asking can I get everything I need to get it working again? I don't plan on selling but instead keeping as a novelty and to play some 78s and some old TV shows on. I really like this thing and want to get it working. Not really interested in selling or trying to make money off of. The veneer on mine has one spot that seems to be lifting up but other than that is in pretty decent shape. All knobs and such are there. So I guess my biggest concerns would be the flyback transformer and the CRT?

Thanks again
Old 09-08-2017, 01:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank again Tom. Just went to the link and checked out the service manual for this thing . A lot of great info there.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:51 PM
M is for Memory

Your welcome. Good luck with it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma