Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:06 PM
M is for Memory

The only GE monitor top fridge I ever had a chance to save hit the dumpster when I was 8 or 9 years old. Grandma had us cleaning out her other house and despite my best attempts at arguing to keep it in existence or offer it to an appliance collector (I knew they existed, even back then) my mom and her sisters tossed it anyway.....Mom sorta listened to me/got what I was saying but did not want to be responsible for trying to do something with it that would take more effort than the dumpster....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-09-2015, 12:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the part of the shaft is ceramic.
Yes, much of the shaft is ceramic. You can see photos in the article that I mentioned earlier:

http://antiqueradio.org/DuMontRA-103Television.htm

Phil Nelson
Old 11-09-2015, 01:13 PM
M is for Memory

When it rains it pours...

When it rains it pours...

I got the 10" Stromberg-Carlson (model TS-10) version of the Dumont RA-103 yesterday for 30$ at the WARCI meet. I always thought the S-C badged version was more stylish. It will probably get priority over the DuMont, and is more likely to be permanently kept.

The tuner seems to be in similar perhaps worse shape. I'll test the CRT after lunch. For now have some pictures:

EDIT: CRT is quite healthy (just like the seller said), and reads 86% on my CRT tester. It should produce a bright picture after a resto.

Last edited by Electronic M; 11-09-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Both are awesome sets! Hope to find either one fine day. Post the restorations!!!
Old 11-13-2015, 11:56 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiotronman View Post
Both are awesome sets! Hope to find either one fine day. Post the restorations!!!
Thanks. I've got fellow VK'er Arcanine's CTC-16 on my bench right now and 3-4 other color sets ahead of these Dumonts in line waiting, and some other stuff, but I'll try to post the restos once they reach my bench.

Audiokarma
Old 12-29-2015, 02:38 AM
M is for Memory

Dumont MOUSEhouse

Well I brought the trio in from the garage so the cars can go in there once the winter weather eventually starts, and started noticing the Dumont has musty smell like some 30's radios but worse.....Turns out that smell is mice....I pulled the chassis and had about a basket balls worth of mouse nest and turds. The little cretans ate the wiring harnesses, paper caps and peed all over the place corroding much of the chassis....Ooh, and the ceramic tuner shaft is broken.

The unit looks to originally have used a field coil speaker that was replaced with a PM speaker....Initially I thought that 16 (! jeez!) resistor kludge was the work of an idiot, but upon further reflection I think it may be a poor man's power resistor sub for the field coil. There are many poor repairs in it including a rectifier tube socket replacement.
I've about reached the point of declaring the mouse-house a parts set...

I've opened it's Stromberg Carlson doppelganger too, but I'll wait till the afternoon to post that story...

Old 12-29-2015, 05:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, about the speaker. My RA-103 has a 4 wire cable running up to the speaker, yet the speaker is a PM type and only has 2 wires coming from it. I am wondering what the other 2 wires were used for?, but I have not dug in that deep yet. I did get the feeling that the speaker in my RA-103 was not original, as the wires coming off the speaker were spliced.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi I have had a couple of sets that had meece nest in them but not that bad sometimes it is hard to clean the pee smell out of these wood cabinets it is a pain to clean the metal as well..Timothy
Old 12-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Workin' Late Again

Ew! Mice gotta be right near the top of the list for bad housekeeping habits. Lately I've been walking away from messes like that, but it's so hard to let such a collectible set go unattended. It is about impossible to get that pee smell gone.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

One of my Setchell Carlson school TVs had a big mouse nest, fortunately it was below the chassis, was able to vacuum it all out after removing modules, didnt find anything chewed up, thankfully. Still smells a bit though.
Audiokarma
Old 12-29-2015, 01:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

is there much concern about hantavirus?

We brave asbestos, cadmium and a host of other dangerous substances when restoring vintage sets, but I wonder if many here are concerned about hantavirus. I know that I would think twice about working on a set like that, but perhaps the risk is smaller in other parts of the country.

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marb...emite-outbreak

jr
Old 12-29-2015, 01:17 PM
Motorola Minion

Tom, I have an RA103 Savoy that was a barn-find. I sold the CRT to GregB and I doubt Ill restore it because the cabinet is missing doors, knobs etc.

BUT I'll look at the tuner shaft and maybe its what you need. Yes, I am concerned about hantavirus but deer mice are not as common as field mice here.

BTW - Who said it best about those bastards?

Jinxy the cat!
"I hate meeces to pieces"
Old 12-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Not sure how I got here.

That neatly tied wire harness is really something ! I wonder if it was made up
outside the tv, like airplane and automotive wire harnesses, and put into the
tv as it was assembled...? The straightness I think would suggest that.....

Anyway, you got a lotta work there restoring that tv..... Bleaching a few times should
get the smell out..... Put it out in the sun and air in the summer too....

Old 12-29-2015, 01:56 PM
Workin' Late Again

Tom, For what it's worth, I had reasonable results using CLR to remove similar mouse goo from my Stromberg Carlson TC-125 chassis. The LCR did not dissolve surrounding cad plating like Navel Gel does. But it's a painfully slow process, and the stuff is so thin it want's to run everywhere. Oh, keep it away from any zinc plating, it'll turn that stuff black. http://s452.photobucket.com/user/Kue...ssis%20Cleanup
Old 12-29-2015, 02:12 PM
M is for Memory

It has been mouse free for 2-3 months (assuming the habitat store did not have mice too), but was in cool outdoor temps for the ~2 months I've had it...I sure hope I don't get hantavirus...

I plan to restore the Stromberg Carlson first and use parts from the Dumont as needed. The S-C doesn't even have a tuner shaft. I'm thinking I might be able to epoxy the Dumont shaft back together and do a tuner swap. The S-C chassis is cleaner, but is missing things like the tuner shaft, half the clear dial scale and speaker. When removing the Stromberg chassis there was some weird hangup in the cabinet, that I later found was a loose lytic bending a shield (which I straightened).

Pictures of the Stromberg Carlson chassis.

Once the S-C is working right I'll decide if I should fix, sell or part out the Dumont.

Audiokarma