Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Banned

Members

Not trying to start any crap, but has anyone else noticed 44,121 members. And I bet less the 2000 have ever had a post on here. Just asking.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:04 PM
M is for Memory

VideoKarma started as part of AudioKarma and was later split off. I believe most or all AK members that were signed on at the time of the split were automatically made a part of VK...Of course, most AK'ers did not or barely cared about VK and thus did not post visiting rarely or never.

The exceptions who strongly give a crap about vintage TV plus newer members are the current active members here today.

Not sure why I care enough to post the history of VK...Maybe just my trivia reflex kicking in.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-03-2018, 11:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv’s r us View Post
Not trying to start any crap, but has anyone else noticed 44,121 members. And I bet less the 2000 have ever had a post on here. Just asking.
Also of note ;

A lot of folks will sign up just to be able to see photos and such of a project similar to one they are working on , and once the project is done they don't actively participate in the site . Then there are the banned members , when someone gets themselves banned the member count doesn't drop due to their banning . Some folks ("Captainclock" for instance) come back under a new user name after getting banned and get their new user name banned also , rinse & repeat and the members number grows accordingly . Bots ? When Bots sign up they too add to the member numbers .
Old 08-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Also of note ;

A lot of folks will sign up just to be able to see photos and such of a project similar to one they are working on , and once the project is done they don't actively participate in the site . Then there are the banned members , when someone gets themselves banned the member count doesn't drop due to their banning . Some folks ("Captainclock" for instance) come back under a new user name after getting banned and get their new user name banned also , rinse & repeat and the members number grows accordingly . Bots ? When Bots sign up they too add to the member numbers .
I know a few people that got banned too, both did not get a reason why. Hard to argue their case when they don’t know why they got banned.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv’s r us View Post
I know a few people that got banned too, both did not get a reason why. Hard to argue their case when they don’t know why they got banned.
Kinda weird post there dude , "a few people that got banned" followed by "both did not get a reason" ..... Which is it , a "few" (three or more) or "both" (indicating two) . Hmm , signed up Feb. 2018 , , , right around when Clock's second account got banned , gotta admit it leaves one to wonder ....
Audiokarma
Old 08-03-2018, 04:25 PM
M is for Memory

I personally banned clock the second time. Since his second account had not caused troubles yet (behaving feels like cause for leniency) and I had never seen such a case before I asked the fellow mods about it and was told making more than one account to get around a ban is cause to be banned again...I'm fairly sure I typed into his 'reason for ban' field when I made it a permanent ban that rules are rules and a permanent ban is supposed to be permanent...He should have seen it.

I kind of miss my mod status...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-03-2018, 04:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

In a lot of ways I felt sorry for the guy , I could tell he wasn't all that socially adept and I know the mods cut him a lot of slack . But when his posts got downright belligerent I knew it was just a matter of time till he got the permaban , the escalating antagonism in his posts all but assured his forced exit . I do feel sad to see anyone get banned here , there aren't all that many of us interested in old TVs and to see a kindred spirit forced out due to their own bad behavior always leads me to wonder if the bad behavior is more to do with some horrible life situation being played out here in the forum rather than in real life , where the person might have a far better chance of rectifying the problem rather than taking it out here and getting banned for it .
Old 08-03-2018, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Kinda weird post there dude , "a few people that got banned" followed by "both did not get a reason" ..... Which is it , a "few" (three or more) or "both" (indicating two) . Hmm , signed up Feb. 2018 , , , right around when Clock's second account got banned , gotta admit it leaves one to wonder ....
Wonder all you want, I’m not chock. In fact I don’t even know Chock.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are a number of forums I've joined but only posted in once or twice....and sometimes never. Sometimes it's a matter of all the questions I have are already answered somewhere in the archives, so why bother posting? I'm a member of forums dedicated to certain makes of vehicles that I no longer own. I once stumbled upon a rare car for sale at a very low price; I joined a forum just to clue in the members as I thought it was that important to see it saved. I'll also note that I haven't posted to AK since VK was started.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:36 AM
I love old stuff

There is an general problem with forums. A lot don't have the same activity as in the past. Facebook killed a lot. In Romania a once big forum went into history - they simply deleted it.
Audiokarma
Old 08-04-2018, 02:30 AM
The Resident Brony

I'll bet they had a problem with bots at some point in time.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:03 AM
I love old stuff

Officially was the G.D.P.R. But the forum was in decline. Yes, they where some boots.
And 10 years ago that forum was so active...
Old 08-04-2018, 10:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've been a big fan of forums since I first went online in the late 90's. One where I was very active started charging a yearly subscription which was enough for me to leave. Another, privately owned, just disappeared. Apparently the owner had enough. I do recall a time when it was inundated with bots/scammers. Some very good information was lost forever. I wrote some in-depth postings myself which were important enough to me that I saved them.

Facebook is ok but for me it just doesn't replace forums like this. There's just too much clutter as well as a little too much drama for me.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:05 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
Facebook is ok but for me it just doesn't replace forums like this. There's just too much clutter as well as a little too much drama for me.
Fakebook is completely unacceptable for me, but I do tend to take extreme stances. Text-only communication is sketchy at best, and communication breakdown reaches its apex there.

I joined AK and VK at the same time. I never post on AK and rarely log in. I've joined but never posted in countless other forums. In some cases I couldn't access information on said forums without joining.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Social networking, as it is now, is both a credible security risk and a vector for privacy loss. I do all I can to protect my computer and my credibility. I'll NEVER SIGN UP!

This is a nice place to visit and I feel comfortable here.