Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-29-2006, 03:06 PM
AK Member

Question SDTV or HDTV?

Looking at the future and the change to TV as dictated by the Feds, I had heard we would all go to HDTV. Either buy a set or an add on box. Now comes SDTV which is seriously cheaper. My net search also resulted in one or two other terms but not needed for my question. Most discussions on the subject go technical to the point that the answer to my question gets lost in the mire!

Will SDTV be adequate for the shift? I will run satellite or cable (satellite currently). I'm not pumped on quality to the point I'll spend $1500 for an HDTV if I can get an SDTV for $350.

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Magically delicious

If you don't have digital sources, don't get an HDTV. If you do, or plan to in the near future, go for it. 32" LCDs go on sale all the time these days for $700ish. I would not invest a lot of money in SDTV technology, it is on the way out. Standard cable will look like crap on an HDTV, don't do it. I get all my local stations in HD OTA.

As always you need to figure out what you need this system for, what sources you'd like to use, and that'll define what set you should invest in.

I could get all technical, but figure out your sources and go from there.

dew.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:23 PM
Magically delicious

BTW: SDTV is the same old TV resolution that we've been using forever, its nothing new.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/video_signals.htm
Old 10-29-2006, 03:43 PM
AK Member

Thanks DEW042.

Let me add some info. We have only one local TV station capable of reception by antenna. And since it is a network station, I don't watch it! I'm not into surround sound, super dvd viewing, etc. 2 channel sound and the current DVD sources are fine with me. I'm stuck with cable or satellite service in order to get the range and depth of programming I want. And I prefer satellite.

So the question is really, will SDTV still work (with satellite and cable) when the HDTV requirement is activated? Or are the manufacturers going to use the HDTV standard to drive sales?

Thanks Again

Mike
Old 10-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Magically delicious

A nice SDTV CRT is very definately the best option for you, if you want to buy now.

The reality of SDTV going away is not likely to come in this decade.

dew.
Audiokarma
Old 12-19-2017, 02:34 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew042
BTW: SDTV is the same old TV resolution that we've been using forever, its nothing new.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/video_signals.htm
And the BEST..... I have no interest in HDTV ....... I have always watched and enjoyed SD,its the most natural and pleasing way to watch
Old 12-19-2017, 04:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

You've resurrected an 11-year-old thread.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:19 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Yes I had something to add to it,not to worry
Old 12-19-2017, 07:01 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes I had something to add to it,not to worry
^That is subjective at best...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-20-2017, 08:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
^That is subjective at best...

Agreed.

There are some important things to consider when judging video quality, and those are the resolution of the signal source and the capabilities of the display device.

HD content on an HDTV looks amazing.

4K content on a 4K TV is stunning (you have to see it to believe it).

SD content (without any upconversion or other processing) on an HD/4K will look very disappointing at best, or outright horrendous.

SD content on an SD TV will look fine for what it is.

HD content* on an SD TV will also look amazingly good (better than an SD signal), all things considered, even though the TV can't show the full resolution.

*Given that the source equipment has the appropriate output, or intermediate adapters are used.
Audiokarma
Old 12-20-2017, 10:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

What I want is a 4k video projector, but the prices need to settle down a bit first!

NTSC is obsolete, that argument is over.. When I got into old TVs all I needed was an antenna. Then I needed an RF modulator. Now I need an HDMI to composite converter followed by the RF modulator, and the picture is still better than ever. I wonder how long the string of converter boxes will be in another ten years, to put a picture on my predicta
Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
What I want is a 4k video projector, but the prices need to settle down a bit first!

NTSC is obsolete, that argument is over.. When I got into old TVs all I needed was an antenna. Then I needed an RF modulator. Now I need an HDMI to composite converter followed by the RF modulator, and the picture is still better than ever. I wonder how long the string of converter boxes will be in another ten years, to put a picture on my predicta

I wonder the same thing, and I hope that it will continue to be possible to use adapters/converters as the years pass by and specifications come & go. Not only is there the issue of having hardware that can do the signal conversion, but there's also the specter of HDCP or other DRM schemes that could throw a wrench in the works if one day the industry decided to ratchet them down even more than they do today. But, there's hardware available to compensate for that as well -- it's a cat-and-mouse game.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Old thread .I though that I smell some mildew here.HDTV is good for the sports jocks and movie goers.I think its a waste for the current regular TV programming aka Sitcoms,Fake news,Reality shows etc.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:40 PM
<----Zenith C845

I have a flat screen HDTV, but I honestly cannot tell the difference between HD and SD television programming, except for the black bars at either side of my TV screen; that doesn't bother me at all since all I watch are MeTV, Antenna TV, GetTV, COZI and one other retro channel, to say nothing of old shows (1950s-'70s) on DVD and VHS, for which I can (and do) always expand my TV picture by resetting the aspect ratio at the TV set. Those OTA DTV subchannels show very old programs which were filmed or taped in 4:3 aspect ratio; the only time I watch network and local TV, as a rule, is for the world news and local news. My set is connected directly to a Roku player; I no longer have cable. My cable operator is Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable); the only reason I have a cable account with them at all is so the Spectrum TV app on the Roku will receive my area's local TV channels.

Someone here mentioned eventually needing a "string" of converter boxes with older TVs as the standards continue to change. That may be, someday (my 22-year-old Zenith Sentry 2 TV, for example, needs the Roku and an RF modulator to receive anything these days, since I do not have and do not want a cable box; even my flat screen won't work without the Roku), but the fact is, if you want to use an older (NTSC) television on today's standards, you must use at least one box ahead of the set. If you don't, your TV screen will show nothing but a white raster or snow.

The television industry wants everyone, with absolutely no exceptions, to eventually use exclusively flat screen TVs. Like it or not, the times are changing; again, the day will eventually come when your treasured old TV will not work regardless of how many converter boxes you put between it and the cable. The only technology I can see surviving any length of time is OTA TV, but the new ATSC 3.0 standard is going to make it impossible to use only an antenna get reception; yes, you will probably need a new TV, or at least a converter box between the antenna and existing TVs, to get OTA reception with the new standard.

ATSC 3.0 will not change the way anyone gets TV via cable or via streaming video, but again, it will make it impossible to use TVs on antennas, at least without a converter box. The goal the FCC is (or at least seems to be) shooting for is to stamp out all old TV technology, and to force everyone to use flat screens, whether anyone likes it or not. This will mean next to nothing for most average, non-technical TV viewers, who abandoned NTSC (standard) TVs in favor of flat screens eight years ago (who but antique/vintage TV collectors use the older sets anymore?), but it will have an effect on antique/vintage TV collectors (such as VK member Doug Harland, et al.), who soon will find their old sets won't receive TV signals any longer. These sets will probably continue to work with DVD players and VCRs, but not with OTA broadcast TV.

Note as well that, if you decide to go to a streaming-video service, that service may eventually decide to modify TV signals, such as downconverting video resolution from, for example, UHD (4K) to HD or even SD, making it impossible to see programming in its original resolution on your flat-screen TV unless you get cable or satellite. This is just another way cable and satellite providers can and will eventually grab more cash from subscribers. Since OTA TV, under ATSC 3.0, will require a converter box as well between the TV and the antenna (ATSC 3.0 is not backward-compatible with existing flat screen televisions), the cable/satellite providers could and likely will use this as yet another (grrrr) money grab, as soon as these ATSC 3.0 converters become available.

"I have seen the future, and it is HDTV." (Paraphrase; originator unknown)

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-21-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

CBS will be rerunning I Love Lucy and Dick Van Dyke show tonight .Friday 22nd 8PM EST .I've seen them the last year.How much more they can get out of these classics besides colorizing them for SDTV and HDTV.Not really a fan of colorizing .Nevermind the 4.3 box they put it in.

I've downloaded both shows last year and play them through WMP player and turn off the color.

The same for all of the Rankin Bass Christmas classics,Charlie Brown ,Holiday movies and other old holiday favorites. Its like getting all whats left out of an orange to make orange juice by squeezing the crap out it.
Audiokarma