Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtfool View Post
If I am understanding this correctly, the LCD doesn't reproduce any video - it is acting as a replacement for the spinning color wheel. Would this be the correct assumption?
Yes. The three filters, RGB are being switched on and off sequentially according to video signal stored in field memory. They are located in front of the monochrome CRT. The switching is so fast that the eye sees a single color image.

Last edited by etype2; 10-30-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
The switching is so fast that the eye sees a single color image.
Yes, I understand this part - Persistence of Vision. But this is true of all television and motion picture images.

Since the Screen is relatively small, and the CRT is hidden behind the LCD Panel - I would think that it would almost look as clear as watching projected film.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Location: Valley of the Sun, formerly Silicon Valley, formerly Packer Land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtfool View Post

Since the Screen is relatively small, and the CRT is hidden behind the LCD Panel - I would think that it would almost look as clear as watching projected film.
Yes. The first impression is a very smooth, clear, unbroken image. According to JVC the RGB filters are highly transmisive.

I have posted a high resolution screen shot. See below. Obviously many times original size so you can see that there are no pixel elements on the screen. The scanning lines from the monochrome CRT are very visible in this shot, but when you see it as it is, 4.5 inches, the scanning lines are barely visible. The resolution is rated 400 lines, not exactly HD, but looks very good.

Last edited by etype2; 10-30-2014 at 07:08 PM.