Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Pioneer LS-501 Projection TV

A friend of mine stopped over after work today and dropped this off. I don't have room for it, but I do like it, so for now its sitting in the middle of the floor in my basement untill I can figure out what to do with it.It actually works pretty well but I think the focus could use a little tweaking. I've never messed with a projection tv so maybe it needs other adjustments also. What do you think?

Last edited by Paul Knaack; 04-13-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:44 PM
The lead ear.

Been a bunch of projection around here lately. I know it was made in 81, but does it have AV inputs?

Also, interesting it doesn't seem to follow Pioneer's usual serial dating scheme.

Also, ABL is a Hitachi grantee code on the FCC's website, but it doesn't seem to list things before 1982.

Last edited by Rod Beauvex; 04-13-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Beauvex View Post
Been a bunch of projection around here lately. I know it was made in 81, but does it have AV inputs?

Also, interesting it doesn't seem to follow Pioneer's usual serial dating scheme.
Yup, function buttons for laserdisc also.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:36 PM
The lead ear.

Interesting. RF for the Laserdisc.

Does it have a regular tuner?

Have you seen the inside of it? Does it have a lot of Hitachi labeled components?

Picture looks good. Just needs some convergence work. Between this and that Sony set, I'm starting to actually kind of want an old style projection set.
Old 04-13-2014, 11:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

i guarantee that is a hitachi made str. great workhorses i have 2 rca pfr-100
looks almost identical to yours both made by hitachi.
Audiokarma
Old 04-13-2014, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

the pioneer remote and my rca remote is identical.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Makes me miss my old 83 Sylvania SuperScreen. It was just a standard "big screen" CRT projection TV. It was my first, and I felt like a big-shot having such a big TV at such a young age. I think I was 17. I moved around alot back then, and I must have moved that thing up and down different staircases 6 times. I still loved the TV, but I finally got tired of moving it and sold it to a friend. Supposedly, he sold it to another guy who is still using it. That thing was like moving an upright piano. Solid 3/4" wood and heavy as heck. I ended up getting one of those Gateway Destination 36" VGA monitors to replace it. It wasn't much lighter, lol. I miss that thing too. I miss everything, lol.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Beauvex View Post
Interesting. RF for the Laserdisc.

Have you seen the inside of it? Does it have a lot of Hitachi labeled components?

Picture looks good. Just needs some convergence work. Between this and that Sony set, I'm starting to actually kind of want an old style projection set.
Tuner is a twelve channel varactor tuner and any one of the twelve channels can be tuned from channel 2-83.

I havn't opened it up so I don't know, but I looked in the service manual and most of the part numbers start with H. If that means anything.

Picture looks good. Just needs some convergence work.
Thanks, I'll follow instructions in the manual and set the convergence and take it from there. Also just cleaning the mirror and crt's did help the picture considerably.
Is a very sharp focused picture possible with this or should I just settle for pretty good? Thanks, Paul
Old 04-14-2014, 03:53 PM
The lead ear.

I would shoot for the sharpest picture possible, but regular CRT convergence is always a compromise, even on newer sets, though I don't know if projectors are like this as well. Can you get a cross hatch up on it? There was a test DVD ISO floating around somewhere, or you can also load a cross hatch picture to a digital camera with a composite video out.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yah, It has a built in crosshatch pattern generator. (Button on control panel). I played with it a little but need to spend more time on it. Service manual say's best to block off green projection lense then set red and blue. so I'll try that.
Audiokarma
Old 04-14-2014, 04:09 PM
The lead ear.

Not much more you can do then, short of replacing internal components.

Good luck.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Okay, I played with the convergence a little more. To my untrained eye I think it's getting better, although I can't seem to get everything quite totally converged. Should it get much better?

It seems like I am too close to screen when I adjust it to really see it clearly. Are there any tricks for doing this?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 04:00 PM.