Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Debut of the Debutante (Predicta)

Well alrighty then, I made it back from San Jose with my new Predicta, beautiful weather up there!

I had a very nice visit with Chris (a.k.a. ChrisW6ATV) we traded TV sets, I gave him a Sony KV-1201 and he gave me a Pink and White 56 Hotpoint! I also got to see his collection which includes of course a CT-100.

As for the Predicta, it's in wonderful condition overall, sure it has some rust on one side but the rest is in amazing shape.
Yes, it even has the correct knobs!

There's one small crack on the screen cover but it's not in the viewing area, otherwise it's very clean and scratch free.

I think I would rather try to match and blend in some new paint on this side instead of repainting the whole thing and losing the lettering for the controls.
The Grille cloth looks very good despite the rust so near it.

It's clean as new inside the tube housing, it may have never been touched before tonight.
The label on the tube is Philco with a date code of 6040 or the 40th week of 1960, either it's original or it was replaced very early, it's a 2.68 volt heater in any case.

The back of the tube cover is as clean as the front, slightly yellowed with age but I'm going to leave it alone, I like the patina.

Oh and how did the CRT test?
Here it is with no warm up beyond the time it took to set the controls on the tester.

Just like new! It did show a little G1 leakage but it went away when I tapped on the connector, possibly it was just me tester acting up.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:08 PM
"Book em Dano!"

very nice! That area of California is very nice this time of year.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Administrator

One other thing, the seller was familiar with Predictas and wondered why this one didn't have an antenna, it doesn't even have a hole for one but it does have two screws in the normal place where one would be.

My only thought (besides this being a bottom of the line set) is that it may have been a Motel set?

An antenna wouldn't be needed or desirable (breakage) in that application.

Do all the Debs not have an antenna?
Old 05-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

That set looks great, and it was nice to meet you, Eric.

I have heard there were lots of Predicta sets used in motels, so that seems quite likely in this case.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 05-06-2012, 02:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
That set looks great, and it was nice to meet you, Eric.

I have heard there were lots of Predicta sets used in motels, so that seems quite likely in this case.
Chris, it was very nice to meet you too, thanks for the Pizza! oh, and the CRT in the Hotpoint checks like new.

I tried the Predicta tonight but I can't even get the white line, the HV is very weak so no doubt it needs the usual recap, when I get the Pedestal set done I'll probably start on this one, I already cleaned all the knobs with the ultrasonic cleaner and they look swell!

The chassis looks a lot better built than the 21" models, I was surprised at how large (i.e. wide) the cabinet is on these sets.

I guess I need to get a Princess, Siesta, Tandem and a Continental now to complete the set.
Audiokarma
Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Very nice Predicta. As to the crack in the screen surround: there was a thread somewhere about repairing a crack in the plastic face of the clock in a clock radio. They carefully ran thin superglue into the crack. There was a technique: the glue had to be cheap and watery, etc. The result was the crack was much less visible.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

So whats it gonna be, to pull or not to pull that is the question (main board).

FYI I was able to recap all but one IIRC and it was a white tube cap mounted vertically. I clipped the top lead, checked it with the eye tube, it was fine so I just used a pig tail coil to reconnect and left it alone.

On mine the thin cap by the power trans was open the others (doubler and 4 section in the front of the chassis) tested fine so I left them, still works fine a couple years later with reg use.

I think if I really wanted to do it right I would clip each wire that is pig tailed to the PCB (leaving the wire wrap along) and attach a anderson power pole connector to the clipped leads. then would look into a way to attach the board with screws and have a ground buss connector. That is IF i wanted to pull the board.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm currently working on a 17" Predicta (Siesta). After restoring my barberpole, I was really really really motivated to do this one without removing the main board.

I don't think you can do a thorough restoration without pulling the board. Yes, many of the caps can be clipped and pigtailed from above, but this one had a bunch of resistors far off tolerance. I suppose you could crush the old resistor and cut it in half, leaving enough of a lead to connect a pigtail. By the time you're done with that monkey business, you could have removed the board and done it right in the first place. And your board won't look like an Alley Oop product.

I do intend to run a ground bus around the board, as with my other Predicta.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html