Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

need help with 24'' Sony CRT monitor.

i have a 24'' sony gdm-fw900. i love this thing and i want to see if it's possible to get it functioning again. one day when i woke up i turned it on,it turned on but no picture. sounds like the monitor picture kicks on like it always does but no picture. i called local tech and says possibly something do with the power supply or something with the h/v power supply. said monitors are complicated so it'll cost me to even have it looked at.

i was wondering can be something as small as a bad cap or transistor around the video drivers boards(if that's what there called) where the inputs are at? maybe something on the board went bad? i wonder what it possibly can be cause? any ideas? any advice be much appreciated.

sorry if this is the wrong section. i just recently join these forums and was directed by an AK member to give these forums a try.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Not sure how I got here.

well if you want to do it yourself, begin by typing the name and model in to google, and reading, try to get a manual ,service manual, Sonys have blinking power lights that give a code if something is not working. There should be some clues, you have to know what to look for. And there are discussion boards for that monitor out there I saw them typing in your model number into google, you just have some reading to do before taking off the back.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1061724

Link has a service manual posted, with dis assembly instructions.

Last edited by Username1; 09-07-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

i took the back off before to remove the anti-glare screen from the monitor cause when it was given to me it had some marketings on the screen. later on i found it uses an anti-glare screen so i took it off.

i appreciate the feedback and link to the service manual but i think i will probably have a more experience tech do this cause i really don't want to mess anything up. i read sony still provides parts still. if so that be great.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:19 PM
Not sure how I got here.

that model seems to have quite a following, and I found one on ebay for $900. so I guess its well worth getting fixed.... After reading the specs I kinda want one too....
Old 09-08-2011, 07:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

yea. luckily i got mine for free. i found someone on craigslist advertising it and was gonna throw it away at the curb cause he said he got a new monitor. i messaged him within seconds lol when i found it.

i was reading more on the service manual and tried trouble shooting with no luck. i took it apart and the tube looked fine to me. maybe a transformer problem or something that drives the tube went. i won't know till the weekend when i be able to take it up to a tech i know.

all i know when i talked to him if it's anything big like the flyback(i think it's called) or something else it can cost as much as going out and buying a 24'' lcd so i'm guessing 200-300 the most if it's something major.
Audiokarma
Old 09-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Well a flyback will not be that much, they are probably around $50. If your power light is not giving erros its most likely in the power supply, everything past that has some diagnostic circuit attached to it. I would also guess with 80% certainty that its not the flyback. do you get a power on light to come on? can you hear, sense through static that the picture tube is getting high voltage? sometimes you hear the static, or can feel it if your hand is very close to the front of the screen as you power it up? Use the manual, take your time and don't get ripped off, type the symptoms into google, you would be surprised at what is on the internet. Just curious, you have tried a different monitor on your computer to be sure the monitor is the problem, and not your computer, or other signal source? Have you tried the other types of inputs?

Last edited by Username1; 09-09-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

i can hear it come on and it gets power so i guessed that's sign the tube itself is still good. it seems it tries to get a picture once it turns on but stays blank and goes right into power saving mode and stays there. i tried the trouble shooting to see if that'll work but nope,nothing. i can hear the static and high frequency pitch monitors make when turned on but it goes right into power saving mode(orange light) and stays there.

yes i tried it on my 360 and my wii using a vga converter i bought for my wii and a female vga to 5xBNC male connector so i can use the monitor input switch instead of the VGA box. i tried the bnc and vga connection on my computer and my consoles. right now i'm using my viewsonic ultrabrite CRT monitor till i get my sony repaired.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

any other ideas anyone? i really appreciate the help your giving me Username1.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

i have a new problem here guys and hopefully someone reads this...... i decided to try the monitor one more time before i bring it downstairs and now it won't power on at all! i hit the button many many times and nothing.......does this mean the tube itself died? or is it in the power supply?
Old 09-12-2011, 01:06 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Sounds like the standby supply took a crap. That's the power source which stays on (low voltage) to tell the main power supply to 'wake up' when you hit the power button, do you have a light on the front of any color?

I once fixed a flat panel that had a stby issue, it turned out to be a pair of SMD fuses that had somehow gone high resistence but not blown. You should get inside this thing with a voltmeter, start from the power socket and find where you're loosing power.
Old 09-12-2011, 02:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

The CRT doesent often die all at once.

Constant attempts to restart it probably didnt help whatever has now gone out.

That said, I had a look at these monitors online. Nice.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

so it has nothing to do with the tube....Thank God(hopefully). how can you tell if a tube went? it should be able to be repaired then if it's just something else and not as long as it's the tube itself? i have a multi-meter i use to adjust the bias in my amps but that's all i know how to do technically. never replaced caps or anything so replacing a transformer or power supply would probably be out of my league.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

blank

Last edited by site123a; 11-18-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

thanks a lot for the info guys and thanks site123a. i don't know much on monitors besides specifications. from reading it can be a fuse or cracked/cold solder joints. it got me curious could it be because my room is very well air conditioned and the cold air could had something to do with it when i had it sitting in the corner for the past few days?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:33 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Where are you located?