Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:56 PM
M is for Memory

Glaser-Steers GS-77 scored

Back on Saturday, I went to an interesting thrift store and after finding ~40 records I noticed a cool 50's modern component changer on one of the counters that was overflowing with other junque. Normally If I want a component phono I look for more modern gear, but I saw the brand name and remembered Dieseljeep talking about how those changers would stop platter rotation during the change cycle and thinking how cool that would be. (a while ago I shortly had a cheap console with a lower end GS changer that I sold...Wanted to keep the changer but wanted it to have a good home more.) This would be a good chance to have one without the bulk of a console or guilt of parting out a console.

Twas only $12, but had to be bought untested...Someone cut the cord then fitted a 4 pin Jones plug to it. They also connected a plug to the switched outlet under the changer and wired that into the jones plug. Guess they wanted the amp to work with it like a console's amp would...If it were me I'd plug the coil of a relay with a 120VAC coil into the phono then wire the NO contacts of the relay across the amp's power switch rather than mod the phono but to each their own. It is otherwise fairly minty except a crack in the lid and some odd round plate screwed to the rear left corner...It don't appear in other pics of this model so I can't fathom what it is for.

The later at home I found the motor was frozen stiff...I was able to turn it with lots of effort and penetrating oil, but it was too gummed to move under it's own power...Finally I pulled the motor separated the bottom bearing from the shaft and cleaned and relubed the bearings and reassembled the motor...It now turned on it's own but the platter would not spin thanks to the platter idler arm being frozen in the neutral position. Freeing it got me a working changer. A few things are gummy still but it is getting better with use. Eventually I plan to do more lube work and set the tracking force on the apparently rare Stanton 830 cart in it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-08-2018, 08:45 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

This changer dates from the 1960's and was arguably the best US built changer up to the GE buyout of Glaser-Steers in 1965. And it's a great changer. I want one before I die, and mine would be using a Shure M 44-7. Overhauled right, it will serve you for many years. And this changer in good order is arguably better than many a Garrard, the LAB 80's the only better they built. It is legitimately HiFi in every way. A USA classic in design and engineering. And even the cost and feature cut GE later versions were more than good.

Last edited by KentTeffeteller; 03-08-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentTeffeteller View Post
This changer dates from the 1960's and was arguably the best US built changer up to the GE buyout of Glaser-Steers in 1965. And it's a great changer. I want one before I die, and mine would be using a Shure M 44-7. Overhauled right, it will serve you for many years. And this changer in good order is arguably better than many a Garrard, the LAB 80's the only better they built. It is legitimately HiFi in every way. A USA classic in design and engineering. And even the cost and feature cut GE later versions were more than good.
The first one I worked on amazed me the way it works. The turntable stops completely before the next record drops, then starts again before the stylus drops in the lead-in groove.
The manufacturer claimed it minimized record wear.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:04 PM
David Thomas

What a steal. I've saw many pictures of those, but have never seen one in person. That might be the only record changer I'd trust my best records with. I sure wish I'd luck up on finding one someday, especially for only $12

I use a Magnavox with a Collaro changer all the time, but despite how gentle it is, I do have some records that I'll only play on my modern turntable set-up.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

I highly reccomend picking up the Heathkit manual for it, it has a lot more detail than the Sams folder. or you can photocopy mine. I have a couple of these, but mine have un-usable idler wheels. I need to send those out to Gary at VM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-11-2018, 03:28 PM
M is for Memory

What would a scan or photocopy of your manual run?

The idlers in the G-S in that console I donated at the last WARCI meet were in perfect condition (and I believe the same ones as in my GS77)...You could have gotten them for less $ than a rebuild and had a parts changer/console to boot.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-25-2018, 03:30 PM
Motorola Minion

Good find Tom.. I bought a 1960 Philco three-channel stereophonic console and was delighted to see that same G-S under the hood. Philco used mostly V-M built changers in their consoles and combos.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:32 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
I highly reccomend picking up the Heathkit manual for it, it has a lot more detail than the Sams folder. or you can photocopy mine. I have a couple of these, but mine have un-usable idler wheels. I need to send those out to Gary at VM.
I also need to do that while he's still doing it!!