Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:31 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Space Command 500 tab wheel screws

Somewhere along the line someone had the bright idea of removing all of the tuner tab wheel screws from my Chromacolor. My junk stash did not yield proper replacements (everything seems to use the wrong thread) and I haven't been able to find replacements locally. The only screw I came up with that actually fits is the one front screw that was left holding one of my Space Command 600X remotes together and those aren't really long enough. Does anyone know what length/width/thread I need to look for so I can try to find some online?

Edit: #2-32 screws I think after looking up a couple of sizing guides and measuring as best as I could. However, NO ONE has them. I may end up having to drill and tap the holes.

Last edited by Jon A.; 06-30-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you got screws that thread properly bring them to the hardware store,
find the nut that fits then you can find longer screws. 6-32 is
my best guess. Shouldnt be a metric or anything odd ball.

73 Zeno
Old 07-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Mystery solved, screw size is 4-40. Kent had a plate that I could thread screws into but 6-32 was the smallest and the mystery screw just pushed in. They have 4-40 screws so I just took one out of the pack and compared it with my screw. I made the initial small investment to bring home a pack and make absolutely sure that they fit before investing in a 100 pack from Fastenal and the same amount of lock washers. I can only buy them in bulk there but it's still cheap. They're still rather obscure and a special order item so I may as well have a bunch on hand. Actually shipping will cost more than the order. The screws used for testing are too long at 1/2", but they're the shortest Kent has.

The parts list in my Space Command service manual is completely useless. It mentions the apparently non-existent 2-32 screw size for the SC600X transmitter that I got my screw from. Quantities seemed to be off the mark as well.

Last edited by Jon A.; 07-02-2014 at 12:56 PM.