Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Happy AK Member

Big Coronada Radio Worth Repairing???

I just took home a Coronada radio from my cabin to see if its worth repairing. Its been used as a TV stand for many years. I know a couple of Knobs dont work and there is no radio needle. It has one full range 8 inch driver. I think its a Micro Utah Gap some of the name is hard to read. Others specs and info are in the pictures. Idk a lot about antique radios so any info will be apreciated.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Hi, I believe that it's a Coronado with an o.

It looks like it uses the same cabinet as my 1948 Coronado TV, just with a different front panel! http://www.vintagetvsets.com/48coronado.htm
I would be interested to know what the measurements on your cabinet are.

I don't know much about radios but I would certaintly think it would be worth fixing. It's probably not a high $ radio but it would still be worth preserving.

Eric
Old 08-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Happy AK Member

Well i dont even know where to start on this thing because i'm new to the audio thing and dont have a lotta of knowledge of electronics i'm only 16
Old 08-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Happy AK Member

Since it prolly wouldnt be worth a lot since nobody Knows what it is and i Nor anyone else in my family understand electronics. it is prolly not worth paying somebody to repair it. So i'm sorta clueless on what to do with this thing.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperdolan
Since it prolly wouldnt be worth a lot since nobody Knows what it is and i Nor anyone else in my family understand electronics. it is prolly not worth paying somebody to repair it. So i'm sorta clueless on what to do with this thing.

well if the only option is to get rid of it i know someone on this board will definatly take it in a heartbeat rather than see it scrapped.
Audiokarma
Old 09-03-2005, 03:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Take a look at my page http://www.geocities.com/wa2ise/radios/repair.htm and http://www.antiqueradio.org/recap.htm and replace all the wax capacitors. I would not try to remove all of the old cap leads from terminals, as they are rather fragile. Just clip with wire cutters the old leads and solder the new cap's leads to them.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

It has FM, so you have some (musical) program material even today. Does look postwar, I was going to say '46-'50 also. Not particularly valuable to collectors, but if YOU like it you should keep it. Avoid plugging in and powering up until the capacitors are replaced though. Definitely don't throw it out or gut it, they don't make em anymore. My motto is, "Someone has to take care of this junk for the few years when it's worthless, and it might as well be me." :-)
Old 09-08-2005, 04:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Worth fixing

I would say it's worth fixing if someone can look at it for you and give you an estimate. Have vinyl records?? Very old Hi Fi post war. Sooner after the war, the rarer. There are a lot of old radios, BUT not that many hi fi's . Probaly junked for smaller units. If repairs feasible, refinish cabinet. Set would look stunning fixed up. Restore set if want a classic hi fi to use for many years. Get radio recapped, they run just about forever with new parts. DON'T repair if wanting investment unless held on to for 10-20 years. Good set for FM and playing records. Most people don't realize how rare old FM hi fis really are.

Old 09-08-2005, 08:26 AM
Lets be bad guys.

It looks like a great first project! The good points: you already have it! It's wood,looks to be in good shape for the age. The only problem I can think of is that if it is fm the cap count might be alot.Personally I wouldn't bother with fixing the phono just recap the radio. These old radios really are conversation starters! I sometimes sell off some of my audio and when I do it's set up in the same room my 1940 philco is displayed. I can be talking about the item for sale while their eyes are glued on the philco!
Old 09-08-2005, 09:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

If you can get a model number off it you may want to send a picture to the Radio Archives' Antique Radio Gallery because they don't have this model in the gallery yet.

http://radioatticarchives.com/

Check out the Antique Radio Forum

www.antiqueradios.com

and the rec.antiques.radio+phono usenet newsgroup archives at

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...n&lr=&safe=off

Both of which are searchable for "coronado", your model number, info on restoration, recapping, sources for tubes, info about old record players, etc. etc.

Likely it plays 78s and has a crystal cartridge which is trashed due to its age. What Donny said about recapping the radio and just using it for that, is good advice.

I think there are tutorials on restoration at

www.nostalgiaair.org

if I remember correctly.

Cheers,