Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hello from Hanover PA

I'm new here and have been looking at the forum for a few days. I'm self employed commercial refrigeration service and HVAC service guy. Started out back around 2000 messing with SS pinball machines but I have a few back issues and they got too heavy to move around. Got back into electronics when I started working on a head tracking device for a computer game Elite Dangerous and somehow found my way to tube radios and now to television. My wife of 17 years just shakes her head and laughs... sometimes. I am a novice at this stuff but I'm reading everything I can find on old tube electronics before I start messing with the 4 old TVs I got from the son of a TV repairman( I bought the TVs from the late 40s into the late 50s and his entire inventory of test gear, lighted signs, parts, etc....my wife isn't laughing anymore...wonder why?)
TVs-
Emerson 1232
Philco H-3047GC
Philco UE4203M-40
Philco 50-701

Also bought the following TV/record player from craigslist
RCA 14VT8155U

Can't wait till I start messing with them.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:27 AM
M is for Memory

Welcome to VK.

There are a lot of good TV servicing books floating around out there that may be helpful, and starting on tube radios is a good start.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-25-2017, 04:04 PM
Motorola Minion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1961 View Post
Also bought the following TV/record player from craigslist
RCA 14VT8155U

Can't wait till I start messing with them.
Welcome to VK. I have the same RCA table model#, 14" tv chassis KCS111 and 45 rpm player under a lid. Super cool. I got it in your end of the county too Some store must have sold a bunch of those. If you start working on yours, that will motivate me.

I was at an auction in Hanover Oct 2013, was a TV shop that operated into the 90's behind a house. Few old TV's but lots of parts/modules NIB - Zenith and Quasar.
Was raining like hell that day. I left early and empty-handed, placed stand-in bid of $100 on an RCA 21" color test jig. Never hear from them.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 07-25-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Welcome to VK. I have the same RCA table model#, 14" tv chassis KCS111 and 45 rpm player under a lid. Super cool. I got it in your end of the county too Some store must have sold a bunch of those. If you start working on yours, that will motivate me.

I was at an auction in Hanover Oct 2013, was a TV shop that operated into the 90's behind a house. Few old TV's but lots of parts/modules NIB - Zenith and Quasar.
Was raining like hell that day. I left early and empty-handed, placed stand-in bid of $100 on an RCA 21" color test jig. Never hear from them.
I remember a TV shop(house) on Ruth Avenue off Baltimore St. when I was growing up, the son of the owner was a few years behind me in school, his last name was Mays.(I graduated in 79) It was Mays TV and I'm pretty sure they were a Quazar dealer. Which is funny, I was thinking about this the other day when I picked up the last of the stuff from the son of the TV guy in Chambersburg, because he was a Quazar dealer. I have his two sided lighted sign, Keystone Television with Quazar across the top. Not sure what I'm ever gonna do with it, it's like 48 inches tall and a little longer. This time of the year is my busy season, so once things slow down a little I will have more time to test the crts in the TVs I have. I would like to get comfortable with tube radios before I get too deep into TVs and break something because I'm too impatient. As it is now, I probably have enough stuff to keep me busy for the next 20 years!
Old 07-26-2017, 11:43 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Welcome to VK! Glad to see another enthusiast!

As to the Quasar sign - I have a buddy that took a huge lighted beer sign, about 60" square, and mounted it to his ceiling in his man cave. He added LED lights to the existing lights to brighten things up, and it lights up the room (albeit with a pinkish hue...) He left everything original, to keep the authenticity should he ever tire of it. Just an idea...
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 08-11-2017, 08:34 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Welcome to VK!

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole