Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2016, 10:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I believe it was 30 or 60 RPS. The vertical syncs can be seen on the disc as two bars pointing opposite directions from the spindle...Like some LDs.

If you had told me you wanted a player before the last ETF I'd have sold you one cheap.
If the CED's were a buck a piece, I'd consider buying a player! They want two bucks a copy. They're still there!
If they drop the price, I'll PM you.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:50 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Muchos Gracious Pac
Old 09-09-2016, 07:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
If the CED's were a buck a piece, I'd consider buying a player! They want two bucks a copy. They're still there!
If they drop the price, I'll PM you.
$2 a piece is nothing. Try eBay. They're more than that. I picked up a nice batch for free over the summer with several players and the last lot of discs I brought in I only paid $1 each.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Two bucks is cheap, CED at flea markets is a weird situation in my area. People usually always want crazy amounts for players and discs. I've gotten LaserDiscs and LD players for McDonald's value meal prices while the last CED player I saw at Goodwill, dirty and without a stylus, was bundled with five discs for $120. Absolute insanity.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damnation View Post
Two bucks is cheap, CED at flea markets is a weird situation in my area. People usually always want crazy amounts for players and discs. I've gotten LaserDiscs and LD players for McDonald's value meal prices while the last CED player I saw at Goodwill, dirty and without a stylus, was bundled with five discs for $120. Absolute insanity.

Wow. All of that for a virtually useless technology that barely functions in the best of conditions. VHS, LD, DVD (even Beta) are all better or equal in quality and light years ahead in reliability. CED is what it always was: a conversation peice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1997 RCA Colortrak 27" Console
1987 Zenith 19" V3912W
Audiokarma
Old 09-14-2016, 09:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAZenith View Post
Wow. All of that for a virtually useless technology that barely functions in the best of conditions. VHS, LD, DVD (even Beta) are all better or equal in quality and light years ahead in reliability. CED is what it always was: a conversation peice.
Exactly, it's as if everyone in my area thinks CED is some old high end esoteric format. Seen this same trend for years. Though like I said with LD (and VHS), I never see them expensive in the wild, like the same folks think that format is just trash no one wants.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

DVD shouldn't even be mentioned in the same list with beta or ld. Just digital crap. Crap that's already what? 17 year old technology? Don't even get me started with bds. Just another reason to get people to go out and re-buy everything just like they did when DVD came out. I watched people who had movies already on VHS go buy those same movies on DVD just because it was the "new" thing.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
DVD shouldn't even be mentioned in the same list with beta or ld. Just digital crap. Crap that's already what? 17 year old technology? Don't even get me started with bds. Just another reason to get people to go out and re-buy everything just like they did when DVD came out. I watched people who had movies already on VHS go buy those same movies on DVD just because it was the "new" thing.
21 years old actually.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's why I had a question mark next to it. Makes no difference to me either way. I didn't even hear about them until 98. Kinda wish VHS would have continued on and DVD never existed.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:54 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76
DVD shouldn't even be mentioned in the same list with beta or ld. Just digital crap.
Indeed......Im glad im not the only one NOT AFRAID to say it!!!!

Very nice Pac...
Audiokarma
Old 09-16-2016, 11:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Edit: Eh, not worth it, people never change their minds.

Last edited by Damnation; 09-16-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:22 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Ahhh dont be afraid to speak out dude!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-18-2016, 11:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't know, just reminded of the silly argument I've heard before that analog formats like VHS and LaserDisc are "purer" or closer to film because film stock is also an analog medium. That might work for audio but it's laughable for video. Like eating racid dog food and believing it's your mother's home made recipe because both are labeled as "beef stew".

And I don't get what DVD being around for twenty years has anything to do with anything. It's not like both VHS and LD weren't around for decades.

Last edited by Damnation; 09-19-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:53 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
I don't know, just reminded of the silly argument I've heard before that analog formats like VHS and LaserDisc are "purer" or closer to film because film stock is also an analog medium. That might work for audio but it's laughable for video. Like eating racid dog food and believing it's your mother's home made recipe because both are labeled as "beef stew".

And I don't get what DVD being around for twenty years has anything to do with anything. It's not like both VHS and LD weren't around for decades.
I disagree. I'm not going to argue much for VHS (though I could argue for S-VHS) since it's resolution limits and noise detract from the advantages of analog.

At non-HD resolution (if you can find a good analog HD source to drag this in to the 21st century I'd like to see it) LD is usually better than DVD in terms of motion capture quality...One of the compression algorithms of DVD is to take only one frame of background then record only a certain threshold of motion as motion differences to apply to the initial frame...The compression algorithm fundamentally makes coarse motion look less natural, and discards fine motion. Compressed digital video makes live action look more cartoonish than real, add mosquito noise that compression creates, and compression artifacts (we've all seen a digital video device inject some random rectangles in our picture before) and you can really see the difference.

Uncompressed digital can be as good as analog, but that is a rare bird.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-19-2016, 09:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

He doesn't get it. I'm not going to bother explaining.
Audiokarma