Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-24-2006, 12:48 AM
<----Zenith C845

The Heathkit GR-43A, IIRC, was Heath's answer to Zenith's solid-state Trans-Oceanic receivers. The GR-43 looks almost exactly like the Zenith T/O Royal 3000 series except, of course, for the branding. I read in one of these threads that the GR-43 looked so much like the Zenith Royal 3000's that Zenith at one point actually ordered Heathkit to stop marketing them, immediately. Don't know what the problem was, but if I were a betting man (I'm not), I'd bet the issue was patent infringement.

As to the RS DX-300, I've heard they are good radios. The former president of the ham radio club I belong to has one of these (one of the '300 series, don't recall offhand if it's actually a 300 or one of the newer models), and it's worked very well for him. He still has it, I think. His has the direct-access keypad for frequency entry and an LCD frequency display. Again, I don't recall which of the DX-300 series radios, if any, had these features. I believe the DX-400 and later models had both.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.