Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2013, 09:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Snelson, I have to thank you for pursuing this point with me, I am happy to have seen this, But for the life of me, I can't imagine where that ballast resistor was....?
Was it as big as in the Dodge cars...? I don't remember ever seeing it.....
Hey there squirrel guy ,

The ballast resistor on those cars was a piece of "resistance wire" of the exact same type as on the cords of the "curtain burner" radios of the mid to late 1930s . The wire would outwardly appear as a normal wire , but when cut into was revealed to be a finely wound coil of wire under that insulation , and thus a "wired in" ballast resistor was provided . truth be told , in my days of yore working on cars , I only ran into a couple of Fords with an open ballast wire , VS literally DOZENS of failed Plymouth ceramic block style ones .

Classic symptom was , car would start and run as long as the key was in the start position , but when let to return to the Run position after starting , the engine would instantly quit (as the boost 12 volts went away and the ballast wasn't there to provide the running voltage)
Audiokarma