Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Anyone remember/still have Coleco Vision

Hey guy's, It's been a little while since I've logged in here. Been a little burnt out lately when it comes to TV/Radio restoration and what not. Not to abnormal for me this time of year...I'm usually busy.

Anyway's, This last weekend I went to an auction and picked up a dirty Colecovision. Got the system, all the cables, 3 controllers, the steering wheel/pedal accessory, 13 games and various booklets for it. All for a wopping $25 I don't think I did too bad...Whatcha all think?

No pics yet for now. I haven't gotten to doing much with it. I want to clean it up and go through everything before I power it up. Just wondering though, how good was Colecovision? It's not a system i've ever personally seen before. I've only heard of it. Through looking it up online, I found that they are pre-1986. Think I saw '82-85' for production. Another thing I was surprised of was that the console it-self, clames to be made in USA. Never knew any videogame systems were actually made in the US.

Well, what do ya think about... Colecovision!
Old 07-20-2017, 08:39 AM
M is for Memory

I've got one that was minty with the box. It is a solid performer that puts the Atari 2600 to shame, and is not terribly far below the NES in performance. A good comparison (and my yard stick) is to get a copy of Donkey Kong for each (I've also played an original arcade unit).

IIRC I need to give mine a service. ISTR it not powering up last time I tried to run it.

I love how the wall wart is an outlet hider...I swear you could knock a burglar out with it! I'd imagine in old houses with loose outlets people had trouble with that brick falling out of the wall....Or worse still imagine playing it in a garage or basement and it coming unplugged unplugged from the ceiling...Duck 'n' cover they dropped the bomb lol!

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 07-20-2017 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok, cool. Well, it came with a Donkey Kong cartridge, so I got that. Don't have one for the NES or my Atari. Haven't seen one for the NES, but I've seen the Atari version and thought it kind of sucked...

ah... yes, that wallwart. Mine has damage. The case had been taped with ducktape to hold it together. It probably has fallen, or mabey even knocked a head or 2. Hopefully it still works!
Old 07-26-2017, 09:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have one somewhere here.Intellivision was my favorite.I had the Telstar in the 1970's.I have no idea if I have it or not.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sure are a number of these, sort-of "one-off" systems. Can't say that I've heard of Telstar.

Well, my Coleco does "try" to work. It, for one can't get a clean signal sent to the tv (fuzzy/snowy picture). Also has intermittent issues with trying to play the cartridge. I've read somewhere about power switch issues and power supply issues(where if it don't get the full 5v, it will have video problems). Well, playing with the power switch, and also the power cord connector while the unit is on, does cause it to flip out some.

*Hey, What's the deal with M? (Tom) What he'd do???
Audiokarma
Old 08-06-2017, 12:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

No one probably gives a s***, but I got it fixed and running great on Thursday. Cleaned and increased the surface pressure of the terminals in the switches. Checked my power supply voltages. (They were good and solid) I also touched up the soldering on the component board. Had some bad spots and few that looked to have had to little solder applied.
The system now operates well, and plays great. Everything is stable too. The switches feel nice and firm as well. I don't think i'll ever have to open them up again.

I gotta get some pics one of these day's before I put it away.

Hey, does anyone have some official Coleco controllers? Mine came with generic's that don't have the knob or trigger button. Just the keypad's.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:45 PM
M is for Memory

Glad you got yours going. One day I need to find time to fix mine...

You are ~3 years too late to get a free controller from me....I had one and a spare console (sans power brick) back then, but gave it to a friend who assembled enough of the rest to have a working system.

You can probably find a correct controller cheap if you check ebay, thrift stores, local estate/garage sales, and retro gaming boards.

When 2 people argue and then drag a third person (who was having a lot of REALLY BAD things being dumped on him in his personal life) against their wishes into the fray, the third is likely to not respond well, look bad, and end up getting all the consequences the other 2 deserved in their stead. Life sucks...Especially for the one designated as the bag holder....

Many of us take our hobby way too seriously: instead of appreciating our friends and loved ones, having food and a roof over our heads /stable lives, when we have those things we take them for granted and let greed (for what? some hunks of plastic, glass, wood and metal) rob us of respect for our fellow man......We all can benefit from pausing and contemplating what is really important now and again.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4