Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-17-2017, 11:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

New GE Locomotive Project

Howdy tv dudes. Between my classic car stuff and antique telephone projects been away and off the oscilliscope screen a while. But like the clap or uncouth relatives, I'm back.

So I have a peach GE Locomotive on the bench awaiting anesthesia and routine surgery. It is totally complete with the double D CRT mask (my preference for locomotives). I last did a Locomotive back around 1997 so it's been awhile and I'm rusty on this chassis model.

What particular areas should I give more than usual attention to in this project? Or is just a routine recap and component evaluation all that's really required? This one is really nice like NEVER neglected and I want it to play as nice as it looks!

George
Old 08-17-2017, 12:26 PM
M is for Memory

Cramped chassis with caps hidden topside and in HV cage. Fairly standard recap unless globar heater string resistors are open then you want to make up a replacement (preferably with inrush limiting).

I did one back in spring. A recap and basic adjustments were all it needed, and it performs well for it's vintage.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-17-2017, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Old thread here, this is a very popular set that is a decent, reliable player, and an interesting design... fun set!

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269086

Word to the wise... radiotronman is quite correct about protecting the speaker... it is very easy to poke a finger through it while working on the chassis.

jr
Old 08-18-2017, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Old thread here, this is a very popular set that is a decent, reliable player, and an interesting design... fun set!

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=269086

Word to the wise... radiotronman is quite correct about protecting the speaker... it is very easy to poke a finger through it while working on the chassis.

jr
I have, just the chassis from one.
I didn't repair it, as the top of the cabinet was all bashed in and the parts were missing.
The CRT was replaced in the 50's, with an RCA non-aluminized replacement and it was weak. Some of the tubes were replaced, that proved the the set was used into the late 60's.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Administrator

I have one sitting on my bench (aka kitchen counter) that I've been working on, kind of lost interest for a bit but been getting back to it recently.

It is a bit of a pain to work on, those sideways mounted boards with the caps that wrap around the backside are a bummer but not impossible. The set responded easily to recapping and is working great now.
Audiokarma
Old 08-19-2017, 11:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll get it into my bench later today. Wondering if I should replace the selenium rectifiers with 1N-04 or 06? Probably be smart and just go with 06.

George
Old 08-20-2017, 06:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichsrundfu View Post
Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll get it into my bench later today. Wondering if I should replace the selenium rectifiers with 1N-04 or 06? Probably be smart and just go with 06.

George
1n4007 , 1kv 1 amp
Old 08-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

As "Fraggle" as these things are, one wonders how they handled 'em back in the day...I betcha a "Repurposed" one w/ a Porta-Potty cabinet would be The Berries for an old TV nut...
Old 08-20-2017, 11:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichsrundfu View Post

George
Likely a good idea... I used 4005s* (600 v peak reverse) but the 06 will give you a little extra margin, if you experience large line voltage spikes.

http://www.kingtronics.com/pdf/1N4001.pdf

*still using up a bag of 100 that I bought several years ago. Never had a problem with them.

jr
Old 08-21-2017, 09:15 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
As "Fraggle" as these things are, one wonders how they handled 'em back in the day...I betcha a "Repurposed" one w/ a Porta-Potty cabinet would be The Berries for an old TV nut...
I think it would be cooler to do it the other way around: take a rectangular screen locomotive with a good cabinet, but a dud CRT and fly, and a working portacolor with a crappy cabinet, then make a color locomotive.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma