Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

[QUOTE=Electronic M;3117990]Sweet!
Can you give me a price/shipping quote on the quad unit? My zip is 53072.
I'd almost ask for the stereo unit as well, but then I would have two, and that lingering crazy idea I had about equipping the riding lawnmower with a car radio might start keeping me up at night again.

You have no room left in your pm box…

I always like to put dual exhaust on my cars, I don't know if I'll ever do it to the 03 Grand Marquis I'm currently driving, but I did it to my 72 Impala and 72 Buick.

They were designing OHC big block V8s in the late-60s / early-70s. Buick and Olds had an OHC big block V8, Cadillac had an OHC V12 in the works. They never made it into production. I'm a big fan of the 71-74 GM cars (tend to think of 75-76 as kind of lesser versions of the 71-74), but think the 77-90 were such a disappointment compared to what might have been.

Similarly, I think Ford and Chrysler made their big cars through 78. And I think there were still some big Lincolns in 79 - but not with the 460. And Cadillac still made the full-size Eldo with a 425 instead of the 500 in 77-78.

I kind of liked the 91-96 GM full size models, and the Ford big cars 92-11 (I like the 03 Grand Marquis I have now - it has a small 281 ci OHC V8 and still drives a lot like the older cars) Whereas (Ford 79-91, GM 77-90) were just smaller, slower and boxier looking than the earlier 70s cars, (91-96 GM , 92-11 Ford) were a a bit of an improvement over (Ford 79-91, GM 77-90), a little faster, a little sleeker looking. Now nobody makes a full size rwd V8 car, and all of the cars look way out of proportion to me (too high, not wide or long enough).

To me the real golden age of auto manufacture was (57-)59-74(-79). Looks peaked with the 59-60 GM models, mechanically cars peaked around 71-74 when you could get a full size car with one of the larger big block V8s: 440, 454, 455, 460, 472, 500 (without too much of that smog crapola tacked on yet), and most cars came with AC and all the other various power accessories.

Last edited by Adam; 10-28-2014 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:34 PM
M is for Memory

Yeah, an unexpected PM grabbed the last slot...I've cleared up some space so it should work now.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

The Cad V-12 program dated from the early Sixties. By 1963, they were far enuff along w/it to have drawn up a picture of a likely 2-passenger coupe', w/swoopy 1968 Corvette style midsection, & 1963 production Caddy grille & back end. The hood was impossibly long. They even cobbled up a wood block prototype full-size mockup, & I think had a "Boilerplate" rough-running ACTUAL engine. But, in late '65, the project was killed.. The V-12 was not sufficiently THAT much more powerful or smoother than the ENORMOUS V-8s planned-the 1967-68-The 472- to justify production. The Eldo was sposed to get the V-12, but it was never to be. Rumors have circulated from time to time ever since of a V-12 Caddy supercar, but have as yet remained strictly rumors. One would think-HOPE-that with the incredible success Caddy has had in the Chinese market, that THERE might be a hope for a Caddy hypercar to give the Germans something to think about-There are likely more S-class Mercedes now in Beijing than there are in Stuttgart, & the "Nominative S-Class customer" is no longer a 60 yr old dentist from Omaha, but a 30 yr old oligarch from Beijing. We can HOPE, I guess...
Old 10-28-2014, 05:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
I think had a "Boilerplate" rough-running ACTUAL engine.
I have not heard that term before... does it refer to a prototype engine? Or perhaps one that is actually fabricated from sheet metal (like the early Crosley CoBra engine)? Or something completely different?

jr
Old 10-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Ford was building Aluminum block, 32 valve, DOHC engines in the early 40's.
Sadly they never put them in any cars, at least not here.

This looks like the ancestor to the Duratec engine used today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5uSx3eFYU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2ghTjFtNPo
Audiokarma
Old 10-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I have not heard that term before... does it refer to a prototype engine? Or perhaps one that is actually fabricated from sheet metal (like the early Crosley CoBra engine)? Or something completely different?

jr
From what I recall reading, it was a "Toolroom" prototype, sort of a "Proof of Concept", more than anything else. The full-size wooden mockup was made to give the engineers an idea where they could mount the alternator, exhaust manifolds, distributor, A/C units, etc. I've seen a small picture of it, & it was pretty lifelike.. The actual running motor, I don't recall if it was cast, machined, or like the Crosley "Cobra" motor, built up. But I DO remember there were a couple of variations of it, an OHV version, & an "OHC" version. I bet they STILL spent a bundle on it, even for back then.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:37 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
@ Jon A: ROTFL That is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. If mine was a 500$ junker (it's not), I'd try to find a smart car to park on the hood like a doggie treat...

@ jstout66: Well if it does like to slide I can always keep it parked when the roads are bad...Or take it out to a vacant un-plowed lot and have some fun trying to drive it sideways.
Haha, gotta love it. That sounds like a fun Photoshop project, especially if made into an action shot.

I would have to try the vacant lot thing given the opportunity. I had never heard of "snow drifting" before.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:47 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Haha, gotta love it. That sounds like a fun Photoshop project, especially if made into an action shot.

I would have to try the vacant lot thing given the opportunity. I had never heard of "snow drifting" before.
I've been wanting to do that too...Since this is my first winter with a drivers license I can go out alone and try that without being told NO(!)...

There is an old family legend that many years ago in a neighborhood in Chicago, during a bad snowstorm, one of my uncles was with some friends (alcohol may or may not have been involved) and made a bet that he could drive his car sideways from one end of the un-plowed block to the other. As the story goes he had no trouble collecting on that bet...

As a kid one sledding hill I used to go to had a good view of a parking lot...I remember one night I stopped and watched someone in a minivan repeatedly come around the corner of the school building that lot circled, hit the brakes(?), and do a real good skid...They stopped IIRC either from either almost rolling it or hitting a curb.

If I knew how to use Photoshop (and if it was freeware) I'd have to try making that picture or animation.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wowww I love that car!!!!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Yeah, an unexpected PM grabbed the last slot...I've cleared up some space so it should work now.
Your PM box is full again...
Audiokarma
Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Your PM box is full again...
So is my room, and probably his, but that doesn't stop us from bringing in more stuff.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:10 PM
M is for Memory

It does stop me from getting PMs...Sorry about that, finals week just ended, and early in the week my box filled...So I'm just getting it fixed now.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

People snort w/derision at the old Yankee "Battle Cruisers" of yore, but they WERE impressive machines any way you cut it. You can carry 5-6 200 LB guys in a 1965 Cadillac in pretty much sublime comfort, coast to coast, the temperature in the car rarely wavering from the 68-70 you set it on, listening to FM the whole way. Basically, all the driver has to do is steer the beast, the car will take care of everything else itself. To get the same level of luxury in 1965, you'd have to go w/a Grosser Mercedes 600, a car that was a good 4X the price of the Caddy. It offered superior brakes & handling to the Cad, but that was really about it. The Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud 3, was, by '65, painfully obsolete. You MIGHT be able to carry 5 people in it, but one would likely be happier if he stayed home. The Silver Shadow, launched in late '65, was more of a competitor for the Caddy than the Cloud was, but a man would be hard pressed to HONESTLY tell which vehicle was "Better".
Old 11-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
People snort w/derision at the old Yankee "Battle Cruisers" of yore, but they WERE impressive machines any way you cut it.
The Sugarland Express. Need I say more?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:32 PM
M is for Memory

Another place we had the Yuropeans beat was style. Take even the nicest Rolls (with their "I'm the 10th generation Earl of nopshamshire, and I'm given a tremendous amount of wealth to sit on my but eating grapes all day and be a powerless symbol of power") or Mercedes (with their borderline utilitarian styling that historically has said "Ya, ve ship um to oter countries to oosed as taxis, but add uns radio, air counditioner, ands switch ze interior to leather, ship um to America, put out some sphiel and sey actually pay quadrupple ze price. ha ha"). Compare that to say a 59-60 (hell anything they made from the mid 30's to the mid 70's for that matter) caddy that says "I'm a reasonably well to do American I'm going places, and I don't just want some stick up the but luxury car...I want a rocket ship! We're going to the moon, and I want a car that looks like it's trying to get there."

Mopar and FoMoCo (tempted to switch the F and M to see if anybody notices...) made some nice luxury cars too. The late 50's to early 60's Imperials (even more so their lower lines) had some real cool styling especially the last of the finned imperials, and some of the mid to mid to late 60's imperials had this look to them that I can only quantify as being like someone made a late 60's modern styled Zenith TV in to a car...The just have that same sort of appealing look to them. I like the 40's Lincolns, and some of their 60's offerings, the 70's Marks, and the late 70's continentals, but most of their other offerings feel like the designers were told take any impression of 'fun' out of the styling...Some of the recent Ford and Lincoln cars are interesting looking though, and if I was given money told that I had to buy my self a new car I'd probably look at those first.

Audiokarma