Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:56 PM
I love old stuff

"National" N.V.-5210A V.C.R. and "Sony" HVC-3000OP camera

Found at one second-hand store an "Sony" Trinicon HVC-3000P camera. The big problem is that that camera can be only connected via a multi-plug socket and I don't have a V.C.R for it. At that second-hand store they have and "National" NV-5120A cartridge V.C.R. that I think haves that tipe of connector, but there is one big question: the connectors are compatible or they look the same, but they are different?
Old 04-03-2015, 06:03 PM
M is for Memory

If it is late 70's or newer consumer gear, then if the connectors are the same it should likely work.

Prior to the first Beta-camcorder, VCRs and cameras were separate, meant to interconnect, and generally if the connectors were the same it would work.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-13-2015, 09:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Sony camera should have a 14-pin square connector inside a round screw-on shell. It is 3 rows of 4 pins and another row of 2 pins. The National (Panasonic) is not compatible. They were competitors. The Nationals that I can find on the www look to have an 8-pin EIAJ connector setup. 8 pins in a rectangular setup with two pins being spaced apart from the other 6 for proper mating. This setup usually was connected to a color monitor to feed the National and the monitor being fed by a coax video cable and connector. Look for any Betamax two piece portable recorder/tuner combo. This will have the right connector for the Sony. A few Betamax decks also had the connector. I think I had a Sanyo that had the connector in olden days.

The other side of this is that if the National is in any sort of good condition, it is collectable by itself. It was an early entry in home recording that used a self-contained loop cartridge. The tapes needed will be the hard find to make it work.

That is if any of either of these have compatible standards in Romania.

Last edited by Dave A; 04-13-2015 at 10:16 PM. Reason: text
Old 04-14-2015, 10:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ah yes, Sony's "K" connector. Pretty much impossible to find on its own.

I've found the HVC cameras are a perfect match with the SL-2000 portable betamax deck. They aren't too expensive (and even cheaper without the tuner which you don't need as I've managed to break out the interface connector to feed in and out audio and video) and you can still buy battery packs for them (now with lithium!)
Failing that, the connector is fully documented so you can kludge an adapter in to get you audio and composite out while giving it only 12v DC.

Quote:
1 Camera video out
2 Camera video out ground
3 Camera video in
4 Camera video in ground
5 Camera pause. Shorting this pin momentarily to ground will toggle between pause and record or play mode.
6 Tally signal from the video to the camera. This causes the red light in the view finder to be displayed on the camera. It puts 5v on the pin when the video is in Record Mode, Playback, Audio Dub, x2 or Cue/Review mode.
7 Camera audio out CH-2
8 Record review. When the record review switch is pressed on the camera the video plays the last three seconds of the previous recording for monitoring.
9 Camera audio out CH-1
10 Audio ground
11 Camera audio in CH-1
12 Camera audio in CH-2
13 Camera power 12v in. Note, this is internally fused in the VCR.
14 Power ground
Old 04-14-2015, 06:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

I remember for some time there were some 14 pin to 10 pin adapters were available.

I have one of those Panasonic power supplies with a 10 pin connector on it for testing cameras with the RCA output of the unit to a VCR or monitor.

I also have one of those NV-5120A's here too.

I wonder if labguysworld.com has any info on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14-PIN-F-TO-10-PIN-M-7FT-CABLE-B2-N2.jpg (23.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: gif 10PinCamPlay.gif (4.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: gif 10Pin8PinCable.gif (5.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Panasonic-Video-Camera-Power-Supply-Adapter-PK-A789S-958.jpg (18.2 KB, 7 views)
Audiokarma