Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
I have a friend who volunteers at a local independent charity thrift store & he's always bringing me boxes of stuff. They don't take anything big but I get lots of transistor radios, handheld TV sets & other electronic odds & ends. If it weren't for him I'm sure a lot of the stuff would get tossed as most of the volunteers that do the sorting are 80 year old women.

A few years back, when I was still growing the collection rather than shrinking it, I sent flyers out to all the local stores with a big photo of a color roundie, offering to haul away for free or perhaps pay for certain sets. I remember getting 2 calls: an 80-year old woman volunteer at a little thrift shop gave me several BPC sets (which I promptly set out on my curb-I just didn't have the heart to tell her I didn't want them) & the manager of a Salvation Army store had a 60's color combo in somewhat disheveled condition. He was obviously disappointed when all I offered him was $15, but then he begged me to take away a late 70's Sears console (I had to pass on that one). I suspect most of that stuff showed up on his loading dock when the store was closed & now they were stuck with it.
Not with our local Goodwill store.According to store policy they ban employees and volunteers from buying stuff or taking the defective stuff home also dont save stuff for friends and relatives.I was in the store on black Friday and seen nothing that interest me.A couple of non HiFi VCRs ,A few DVD players ,RCA compact stereo and a dozen of digital clocks.

Last edited by centralradio; 12-09-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:28 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Mc D's used rendered beef tallow for fries. You can still get it.
The fries were considered the best anywhere by most. And then yes the
food nazis drove them to veggy oil about mid 80's. Even the hambergers
could be eaten back then but they changed that too. Used to get
2 cheese burgers & 2 large fries for abt $2. Now McD's costs a
family of 3 more than a loaded large pizza from a mom & pop.
And the food SUKS And they got that damn clown !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
I think Pennywise would make a more appropriate mascot. As for the quality of their "food" you nailed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AUaclnXKw8
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Not with our local Goodwill store.According to store policy they ban employees and volunteers from buying stuff or taking the defective stuff home also dont save stuff for friends and relatives.I was in the store on black Friday and seen nothing that interest me.A couple of non HiFi VCRs ,A few DVD players ,RCA compact stereo and a dozen of digital clocks.
The local Starvation Army was and probably still is a lot like that. One time I was accused of holding something for someone else when I owned said item and had brought it in to give to the son of someone else working there. The one who pointed the finger didn't stick around for an explanation.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Mc D's used rendered beef tallow for fries. You can still get it.
The fries were considered the best anywhere by most. And then yes the
food nazis drove them to veggy oil about mid 80's. Even the hambergers
could be eaten back then but they changed that too. Used to get
2 cheese burgers & 2 large fries for abt $2. Now McD's costs a
family of 3 more than a loaded large pizza from a mom & pop.
And the food SUKS And they got that damn clown !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
I must've misunderstood the hog lard vs the beef tallow thing.
Regarding the McD's quality of food taking a nose-dive is spot-on. The stuff is cooked way ahead of time and kept in a warming drawer. The stuff all tastes like left overs. You order a cheese burger and the cheese isn't even melted. The fries are still not bad, but you only get a few in the dollar pack.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:48 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax
If there's a Habitat For Humanity Re-Store in your area-DO NOT support it as they are and have been actively destroying our electronic heritage. I am currently near Owen Sound, Ontario(I am from and live in North Bay), and there's a Re-Store, just south of Owen Sound, near the old drive-in movie theatre and a Mission Thrift Store on the North end of Owen Sound, although they also do e-waste and I gave them a very stern warning about wrecking vintage 1940's to 1970's TVs as well.
Thatsb very sad....... I doubt they care though and probably laugh at you when ya leave......

Very sad