Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Ever hear of a Niko flatscreen?

Picked up this SV3706 from the roadside. Normally I don't fool with flatscreens. It had sat on a major roadway for a couple of days. I had never heard of Niko. Thought it may be a model designed for a European or Asian market. (My area is about 50% foreigner and sometimes they bring some of their home stuff to the US even though it won't work.)
After dissassembling it, blowing out the dust, and fixing the power switch, I plugged it in. It worked. No screen impact or water damage. Looks like the broken power switch was all that was wrong. Sometimes you get lucky.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NIKO_1.jpg (71.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg NIKO_2.jpg (78.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg NIKO_3.jpg (65.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-30-2018, 08:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Good things.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:42 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
Picked up this SV3706 from the roadside. Normally I don't fool with flatscreens. It had sat on a major roadway for a couple of days. I had never heard of Niko. Thought it may be a model designed for a European or Asian market. (My area is about 50% foreigner and sometimes they bring some of their home stuff to the US even though it won't work.)
After dissassembling it, blowing out the dust, and fixing the power switch, I plugged it in. It worked. No screen impact or water damage. Looks like the broken power switch was all that was wrong. Sometimes you get lucky.
"Niko" sounds to me like a generic branding for TVs made by another company. Most if not all flat TVs these days are made offshore and sold under now-defunct American brand names, such as RCA. It may be nearly impossible to find out where or by whom your TV was made; the brand name on the front bezel doesn't tell you much of anything along those lines. As an example, my own flat screen TV is branded "Insignia", which is a house brand of Best Buy LLC, Richfield (Minneapolis), Minnesota. I have absolutely no idea who actually made the set; it could have been LG, Vizio or any one of 1001 other offshore companies. There is a good chance, however, that your set was made, as you said, for European or Asian TV markets, with the name "Niko" being the actual name of a Chinese, Korean, etc. electronics company which exports its products to the US.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks as if the brand was used for monitors, tvs early on, and may be related to Nikon.

https://www.amazon.com/Niko-OTP-2011...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.qvc.com/.product.E00551.html?TZ=EST

jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 11-30-2018 at 12:55 PM. Reason: added 2nd link, 32 inch
Old 12-03-2018, 05:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

Probably someone's store/house brand - I've seen that set with other brands on it, from memory they were all manufactured by Fenix (or Venix?).
Audiokarma