Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

1979 Magnavox Touch-Tune

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in.
Sadly I had to put the 79 Magnavox to the curb. I've posted about this set before. It's the one I gave a friend who actually liked console TV's. I've kept him in supply for 10 years, but.. he uses em hard, AND is a heavy smoker, so they all develop glitchy issues after awhile. This one made it for almost 4 years, so that's good.
Anyway... the set used an Ultrasonic remote. If anyone has a Magnavox of this era, and needs a remote, it's yours for postage. Just PM me.
Cool thing I noticed about the remote... it's made in Germany. I woulda figured US or Japan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00592.jpg (87.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 01-24-2014, 08:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

I would have taken the tv. i don't believe in tossing anything. any pics of what it looked luke?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

I have two of these remotes. Of all the battery ultrasonics I have tried, these are the only ones whose tones I can hear.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

pac.attack76, I hate tossing stuff as well, and I debated.. but didn't have the room, and have tried to focus on only keeping a few sets. This one still had a fantastic picture, but was getting glitchy. I can't remember what chassis it was, but it had that weird tuning system, that was problematic.... I don't have the best pix, but here ya go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0064[1].jpg (71.1 KB, 60 views)
Old 01-24-2014, 10:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

From '79, probably a T815 chassis (inline CRT) or T995 (delta gun CRT).
Audiokarma
Old 01-25-2014, 01:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
pac.attack76, I hate tossing stuff as well, and I debated.. but didn't have the room, and have tried to focus on only keeping a few sets. This one still had a fantastic picture, but was getting glitchy. I can't remember what chassis it was, but it had that weird tuning system, that was problematic.... I don't have the best pix, but here ya go.
I'm gonna cry . I hear ya on the room though. I'm running low myself. i wont let it stop me though. I'll have more space soon though.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

it had an inline CRT, so T815. Of course when he would complain of some problem, it would be FINE when I went over there. (gotta love intermittent issues) He had said for awhile that the screen would get really bright with a line running down the screen. Then recently that the picture would get a line and half the picture would collapse. ( could never get a straight answer if it was a vertical or horizontal collapse)
I think I've given him 4 consoles. First was a mid 80's Zenith. That one developed pink splotches in the picture. Then a really good RCA. I can't remember the chassis # but it was 80's vintage with stereo sound and a 27" flat tube. That one would just turn off at random. Then on to a 26" Sony that developed sound issues. And finally this Magnavox......
I did debate bringing it home and putting it in the garage, in hopes a member here would get it, but I've posted stuff in the past and always get the " if it wasn't so far" which I get, because I don't really care to drive that far either. It would really have to be a "dream set" and figured this one wouldn't top the list. It's probably still by his dumpster if the scrappers haven't fount it tho.....
Old 01-25-2014, 12:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Where are you located actually? I never knew anybody could go through so many tvs. sounds like he needs something different. maybe a commercial grade?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66 View Post
Well, at least it wasn't one with that badass OSD.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

I thought everyone here was for saving classic sets not dumping them?
Audiokarma
Old 02-01-2014, 05:41 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

That wouldn't have been classic enough for most here.

Personally, I would rather have given the guy a flat-panel to run into the ground.