Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:28 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Where did you find that screen image? ...

BTW, where did Chicago's NBC television station ever get the idea it is "the world's first full color TV station"? ...
I don't recall where I found that jpg of the Chicago peacock, but I definitely have it saved for use on the media player.
---

See jr_tech's link to the WMAQ story.

By "full color" they meant all new locally produced material. Of course, they still had some monochrome shows on from the network and some old movies in B&W. But if it came from their studios, it was in color.

It's very hard to find material referencing Tommy Tint. Also, I have seen only one ebay listing, years back, for one of the multicolored desk phones that Illinois Bell/Western Electric made for their offices by assembling parts from several differently colored phone cases. I lost the bid.
---
As a side note, I have often marvelled at how little control NBC kept over the color in various representations of the peacock. Every promotional item is different, most matching the general hues (and some not), but all differing in brightness, saturation, and exact hue. The form was all they really standardized. Even the on-air lead-ins, which were intended to have standard colors, were often distorted by excess contrast and color shifts from multi-generation copying.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:02 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If you get a BT agile modulator your DVD player can be shared by all your TVs...
I already have some BT mini mods in a rack chassis. I doubt the signal would be very strong but I would hard-wire everything anyway. Giving each set its own space is where things get tricky; I doubt the super would be happy if I were to build more rooms and have a unicomplex of sorts sprouting out the corner of the building.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
I don't remember what happened to Greg Brady and BTW, who's Esther and is her sister named Polly.
Mike suspended his driving privileges after he nearly had an accident while reading the back of an album cover, so he borrowed a buddy's car, later reminding Mike that his exact words were to not drive *their* car while trying to let on that he didn't know better. Come on Greg, leave the technicalities to the lawyers. Mike agreed to let Greg live by exact words, but once that was put into action it really steamed Greg's clams and he eventually relented. I'm not big on the series but I like the movies.

By the way, knowing that the humorless Robert Reed hated "lowering" himself to comedy made it even funnier when he was in such scenes, i.e. slipping on a ball thrown by Cousin Oliver, causing him to smash his building model against the kitchen island.

It took me a little while to clue into the Polly Esther crack. The character Esther from the 2009 movie Orphan (pictured) may have had a sister by that name had the movie been made in the 70s. However, I knew someone who said she went to school with a Polly Esther; it's factual as far as I know.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
That screenshot looks superb in a fairly bright lit room. I used to “DX” channel 5 from Milwaukee in the late 60’s, but WGN channel 9 was the clearest. I watched “Kup’s Show on Saturday night.

You stuff is neat. Collecting micros, no problem. The consoles are another thing.
There was never a channel 5 in Milwaukee!
In the late 60's, the only channels were 4-6-10-12-18-24-36.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
There was never a channel 5 in Milwaukee!
In the late 60's, the only channels were 4-6-10-12-18-24-36.
He means he was DXing Chicago channel 5 from his location in Milwaukee.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
He means he was DXing Chicago channel 5 from his location in Milwaukee.
I thought his location was around Green Bay, rather than Milwaukee, because of the reference to the GB Packers.
Audiokarma
Old 12-08-2018, 09:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I thought his location was around Green Bay, rather than Milwaukee, because of the reference to the GB Packers.
The Packers also played in Milwaukee back then.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
The Packers also played in Milwaukee back then.

Well aware of that, living there for the first 56 years of my life.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ok , here's my on topic post ;

For me , The problem with collecting TVs is that each TV takes up pretty close to double the space , the space that the TV takes up , and the space that the spare parts for the TV takes up . For each of my TVs I try to have a spare picture tube , flyback , yoke , really as many of the scary bits as possible well packaged in a spare parts kit , and the spare parts kit has gotta get stored somewhere . I keep the TV side of the collection deliberately small , just a few favorite sets with no consoles taking up floor space that otherwise belongs to the radio collection
Old 12-08-2018, 02:26 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Ok , here's my on topic post ;

For me , The problem with collecting TVs is that each TV takes up pretty close to double the space , the space that the TV takes up , and the space that the spare parts for the TV takes up . For each of my TVs I try to have a spare picture tube , flyback , yoke , really as many of the scary bits as possible well packaged in a spare parts kit , and the spare parts kit has gotta get stored somewhere . I keep the TV side of the collection deliberately small , just a few favorite sets with no consoles taking up floor space that otherwise belongs to the radio collection
A good way to reduce that is to collect sets with the same CRT(s), and keep 1 spare tube for ~3-6 sets. The probability of all 6 sets that all use say a 10BP4 or a 21FBP22 needing a replacement during your ownership is very small, but the probability of 1 out of 6 set needing a new CRT from your use is high enough to justify 1 (maybe 2) spare(s).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-25-2019, 07:36 PM
Banned

There was no channel 5 in Milwaukee...but before 1953, [I think] WTMJ actually was on Channel 3. Here in Oshkosh, there was WOSH-TV channel 48 and WNAM-TV in Nennah. After they went dark, they merged and became WFRV_TV in Green Bay on channel 5.
Audiokarma
Old 10-30-2023, 06:30 PM

Here's an ad for WNBQ using "Tommy Tint," from the Chicago edition of TV Guide, week of March 25 to 31, 1956. At that point they were saying "First In Color" rather than "all color," which they may have started to use the next year.