Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-22-2016, 03:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Flat screens on display on store shelves going bad

I was at BJs the other day and noticed they had several flat screen sets on display that were pink reddish color to them.it reminds me of the CRT set loosing one or two of its guns or driver circuits.Also at Walmart I notice some sets with similar color problems and sound clicking problems.This is not a good code of practice selling TVs with defective sets on display.Would you buy one of those sets that are on display that is not working right.Most store help would not know how to adjust the set or quickly change out the defective set for a working set in its place.Please share and add what you found in the stores in your area..
Old 10-22-2016, 04:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

It would be good to know which ones are failure prone. They might be doing the customer a service...

Chip
Old 10-22-2016, 06:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
It would be good to know which ones are failure prone. They might be doing the customer a service...

Chip
I think one was a Samsung.The next time I'm down there I will get brand names.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Might just be the signal being fed to it.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:58 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdude View Post
Might just be the signal being fed to it.
Yes, seems strange that multiple sets and models would have similar problems.
Audiokarma
Old 10-22-2016, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Could be the source, I picked up a cheap used Toshiba DVD player because it had an HDMI output but it was outputting a signal with no green.
Old 10-23-2016, 01:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

The next time that I'm there .I will take a peek in the back and see how its hooked up to the distributor amp box. Maybe HDMI the cable is not plugged in all the way.Or one of the component sig fed signal cables is unplugged . They had one set on the local channel and it looked great.I'm shocked that they are getting away with that now since the stores dont like playing local stations anymore.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:43 AM
Followin' the Rules...

One additional fact - demo mode used by stores amps up the brightness and color to overcome the bright lights in the store. This shortens the life of the set considerably - Best Buy tailored sets are the exception - (no demo mode in most)- there may be others..

Manufacturers make sets that are specifically "tailored" to the merchant. My Samsung model (670-suffixed) was a Best Buy exclusive, and it's "Smart"/Samsung apps had Amazon instant video locked out by the firmware. An online posting showed me how to upgrade the firmware to another model (suffixed 650, same except for where it was sold), and lo and behold, I had the full Samsung Apps choices. It also came up in demo mode, something the old firmware lacked.

By running them in demo mode, it shortens the life of the set considerably. Go into any Target store, and you'll find a wall of sets in demo mode, which removes remote access, provides overlays (feature banners), and activates only one HDMI port. I did a seasonal stint with Target, and came away with some secrets, so to say. Demo modes are factory guesses, and Sanyo can't seem to get it right. We setup Sanyo's in normal mode, and adjusted the settings manually. They are also some of the lightest sets....

Those $99 clearance 46" sets you see at retailers are the former demo sets - do yourself a favor and pass. I inherited a 55" Vizio of my neighbors that was a display set at Walmart. It lasted just 16 months before it ate the main board and two of the backlight LEDs.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 10-24-2016, 02:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for all the info Brian.As I was t BJs yesterday I looked at the sets closer and happen to take a couple snap shots while I was there of the bad sets.The two sets are Samsung .Thats what i figure as the stores pump up the sets or get special demo sets to sell sets.Also that explains one of the major customer complaints .How come my set looks like crap at home and it looked great in the store.". I looked in the back of the sets and it looks like they are feeding the sets through the HDMI cable.Also the dist box is hidden somewhere so I cant get a photo of it.Surprising the sets at Walmart looked great while I was there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bjtv1.jpg (129.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg bjtv2.jpg (144.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 10-24-2016, 02:55 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
Thanks for all the info Brian.As I was t BJs yesterday I looked at the sets closer and happen to take a couple snap shots while I was there of the bad sets.The two sets are Samsung .Thats what i figure as the stores pump up the sets or get special demo sets to sell sets.Also that explains one of the major customer complaints .How come my set looks like crap at home and it looked great in the store.". I looked in the back of the sets and it looks like they are feeding the sets through the HDMI cable.Also the dist box is hidden somewhere so I cant get a photo of it.Surprising the sets at Walmart looked great while I was there.
Looks to me like they lost the Y (Luminance) connection. Probably a cable / distribution problem.
Audiokarma
Old 10-25-2016, 04:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
... it had an HDMI output but it was outputting a signal with no green.
HDMI has 3 digital bitstreams, one for red, one for green and one for blue. The audio bits are inserted in the sync periods of the video. You might have a bad cable, or bad solder joint inside that player, if you have no green. If you use the HDMI cable for sound, you may hear degraded audio, but if you're using RCA cables you wouldn't notice that.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Administrator

I tried it through the composite out and it still didn't work.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was at BJs tonight and happen to see their DTV dist box peeking out in back of the sets.Did some homework with Google and found some info on it.

Heres a photo I've taken tonight.

https://www.audioauthority.com/produ...t/Distribution

https://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/1398
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bjs DTV box1.jpg (78.9 KB, 19 views)
Old 10-31-2016, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Looks to me like they lost the Y (Luminance) connection. Probably a cable / distribution problem.
It could be.The sets looked great tonight.they probably swapped out for a new one or fixed the cables.