Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-05-2003, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Massive Zenith Roundie on eBay

Gut it and you could live in it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3638
Old 06-05-2003, 01:00 AM
Banned

That's a plus size alright. If a beginner wants to fill a room quickly with a collection this is the way to go! I've never seen the green Zenith tubes go this bad with cataract.

Rob
Old 06-05-2003, 12:01 PM
On Land

Would definately need more than a Toyota to bring that set home! Right Rob?

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:02 PM
Banned

Charlie,

If I really wanted a set that big and it didn't weigh more than say 250 lbs I could actually haul it home on my extra sized 5x8 foot roof rack. I'd need help to load/offload it though. I have brought home 500 lbs of 4x8 MDF for speakers from the lumber place on this rack once and several loads of steel just as heavy too! Poor Celica.

Rob
Old 06-07-2003, 05:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

I amy be crazy, but....

I decided to go for that old set. I can brihg it home in my van. it has the round tube, and it is even remote. i'll find room for it somewhere.
Audiokarma
Old 06-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Re: I amy be crazy, but....

Good, I'm glad someone can save these big old sets.

Quote:
Originally posted by rca2000
I decided to go for that old set. I can brihg it home in my van. it has the round tube, and it is even remote. i'll find room for it somewhere.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well, it's mine now.

Just thought I would let everyone know, that I am the new owner of the zenith roundie combo, from e-bay. According to my old zenith manual, the model#7500-4, which it is, is a 1964 model set, with a 25lc20 tv chassis, and a hybrid stereo unit, with a tube tuner, and solid state preamp. and amp, chassis 8lt25, with nice big germanium outputs on good-sized sinks, and a big power transformer(rated at 120w eia, but probably less, form the looks of the chassis, id' say 30 per side)I do have a console zenith stereo in the corner of one of my storage garages, with a similar amp, and it DOES produce a lot of power, with a cd player ran into it. The manual claims that the combo has a 3-way speaker system, with 12" woofers, with 13 oz. magnets on them.It also has horns, and two smaller speakers for each channel. That is pertty impressive, for 1964!!(someone probably paid over $1000.00 for it back then.)

I plan to go down to n.c. soon and pick up the beast. I'll let you all know how things turn out, (such as if that delaminated crt has any life in it or not), and so on.By the way, I got the beast for a whole , BIG ,$ 9.95!!
Old 06-11-2003, 08:58 PM
On Land

$9.95 is a bargain price... but how many gallons of fuel to get there? Perhaps you can make a vacation of it along the way. The wife, kids, and 250 lb Zenith!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

update......

Well,....... I FINALLY got the big Zenith roundie combo into my basement, to its new home. (That was a LOT of fun! I NEVER tried to carry a heavier tv set, in my life!! at least 300 pounds, im sure.)

I plugged in the tv, (chassis 25lc20qs)after a visual inspection revealed nothing obviously wrong. (with the output plate cap removed). I got sound, and no doubler caps got hot, so i put the cap on the horiz. out, and LO! that old crt has PLENTY of life left in it, despite the delamination. Good color, greyscale, and lots of brightness( the crt appears to be original, judging by the '63 date code on the base)I do have mild vertical rolling, and retrace, but the focus is good, and no blooming problem, either.

the space command is not working, but the power tuning is. I get very good sound through both sets of speakers( the normal stereo speakers are paralleled through a relay for the tv)powered by that 6bq5 on the tv chassis. This is no surprise, as I have seen many of these zenith tv sets with a 6bq5 have great sound( as some stated earlier) including my 29jc20 zenith roundie.as for the stereo, one channel of that big gremanium transistor amp is dead. it looks like this was caused by someone "rigging" a cable onto it, for external speakers. the other channel works fine, and all of the speakers are good.

All in all, I did pretty good for $9.95, plus $20 for two guys to help
get it in my van, and around $40.00 for gas. (my old town and country minivan averaged about 25 miles a gallon for the trip, with 3 of us on board(me my mother, and my sister, and a load of flowers my mother bought a few miles from where the tv was.)

I did just get a digital camera, so I will soon post some pictures, of this, and some of my other sets.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:17 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Jack- Sounds like you done well, podner !!! -Sandy G.
Audiokarma
Old 07-11-2003, 04:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds like you got a really nice set! Have a good crt is the best thing! Anythings an easy fix if the flyback and tube are good. Its good to see that members here at AK are basically the only ones buying up the old color sets on ebay.
About your space command. If yours doesnt work, remove that cable that connects the transducer to the space command chassis. Ive got 3 space command zeniths (luckily I have that many!) None of the sc worked. The problem was, the rca connector that plugs into the chassis gets somewhat corroded. disconnect and reconnect a couple times. Also turn the sensitivity back and forth a few times. Chances are, it will cure it. If that fails, change the axial electrolytic caps in the sc chassis. That was the problem with my sc400 roundie. After that, you should be able to tune channels 40-60 feet away! When I brought my 1974 sc500 table set home (its sold to spectrion now) I put the set on a stand in my garage when I first brought it home. I was flicking through channels from the across the street nighbors house front door step!!! Tell me, how many infared remotes can do that!! This was about 60-70 feet away! Now, the remote worked effectivly about 50 feet away, when I backed up another 15 feet or so, it would work after pushing the buttons 10 times. My thoughts on zeniths space command: The best cordless tv tuning system ever! Totally mechanical!
Old 07-11-2003, 09:13 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

An interesting thing about the mechanical space command....

On my Solid State w/ varactor tuning, I can get it to skip as many as three channels if I put a little "english" into the button-pushing.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

do you mean holding the button down after pushing it? Thats whats nice about the sc600, the rod keeps ringing because the dampener does not contact the rod, so I can get about 1/5 turn out of the hue control by holding the button down. Pretty cool!