Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Anyone near Seattle want a CTC-7

Fellow wrote me looking to find a home for one.

Contact me off group and I'll put you in touch.

Eric
Old 03-14-2003, 06:23 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Someone, grab this set!

I would myself but the shipping cost to LA is a bundle.
Old 03-15-2003, 02:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Consider it grabbed, Steve... I'm picking it up this weekend!!

I think I'll name her... "Betty"!!

-Kevin
Old 03-15-2003, 02:56 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Really, Kev?

That's great!
Old 03-15-2003, 03:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep, it's true..!!

Man, first it was changing me to a tube stereo, now it's whetting my appetite for vintage TVs...

Is there no end to your arcane and devious ways, sirrah??

Seriously though-- thanks, Steve (& of course, Eric!!) for the heads-up!!

Betty will have a loving home, I assure you!!

-Kevin

Last edited by Joel Cairo; 03-15-2003 at 03:18 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-15-2003, 03:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Oh, and here's another pic of her that I received...

Can someone help me with a positive ID of the model...? I'm told the set is a 1957, and this **looks** like a "Lockhaven" CTC-5, but I can't be certain...

Is there some feature in these two pics that provides a solid clue... ? Or will I have to look on the back when I get it?

-Kevin

Last edited by Joel Cairo; 03-15-2003 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Mac and Roundie TV lover

Good!

You're going to be Mr. Tube from now on. Time to change your Avatar picture on www.stevehoffman.tv to Betty!
Old 03-15-2003, 04:18 PM
Administrator

I'm tickled pink

That someone frpm AK was able to get it

Of course we will expect pictures and progess reports!

Eric
Old 03-15-2003, 04:24 PM
Administrator

It's a 5!

I do believe it is the Lockhaven! referring to Ed Reitan's Site:

http://www.novia.net/~ereitan/Galler...ery_Index.html

Note the way the pencil box is notched into the grille, no other model does that.

The picture on the Sam's folder looks like the "Whitby"

Eric
Old 03-15-2003, 04:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Eric:

But of course, sir... I'll keep you posted on the progress!

(And now I see your second message)-- Yes, that's what I was keying on for the model ID... glad to see I appear to have called it correctly!!

The set is supposed to be in excellent working order, and was displaying a fine picture until it was put into storage fairly recently, from what I was told.

So I'm very much looking forward to seeing it for myself!!

-Kevin

Last edited by Joel Cairo; 03-15-2003 at 04:45 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-16-2003, 03:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ctc 7 in seattle

Boy, i wish that had been closer!! I have been wanting a ctc 5 or early 7 for years now. I even bid on that one on e-bay in december, as it was in michigan, and i could have drove there and got it myself. but, it got away form me, AND NOW, AFTER HEARING THAT THE CRT WAS BAD ,IM GLAD IT DID!!

If only that one had been closer to ohio...oh well, at least ,it wont be heading to a landfill.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

OK-- Betty is in her new home...!!

And she is indeed a CTC-5 "Lockhaven", with a #5 finish.

There are a few issues that will slow things down a bit before she's in tip-top order, though...

- Number 1 would be the fact that the power cord is gone... evidently it was detached at some point (from the 2-prong connector on the back), and subsequently lost when the set was put into storage...

- Number 2 is that the front safety glass is missing... the framing is there, and there are clips still present to hold the glass in place, but the glass itself is gone.

- Number 3 is something I hadn't expected, and it's actually somehat visible in the second picture that I posted.. if you look toward the bottom left edge of the picture tube, you'll see what looks like something dusty or frosted right next to the bezel on the left side... well, as I looked more closely at it when we picked it up on Sunday, and it appears to be something de-laminating on that side... (there appear to be a series of small "cracks" or fissures, and the look of two layers separating, with a sort of gel or film in between them)... now, this set was owned by a TV engineer, and was restored to full working order by him, so I'm wondering if at some point he swapped out the CRT for one that has an attached faceplate shield (the face has a sort of a "matte" look, rather than the gloss I would have otherwise expected, from what I've read about the tube). He did do some extensive re-capping of the interior electronics, as there are Orange Drops and other modern-looking caps inside of it.

- Exterior is OK (small dings in the wood finish, a little edge wear/scraping), but does need some restoration.

-Interior needs to blown out a bit, as it's a little dusty and cobwebby in there.

- The pencil box is there, and in fine shape, but I need 4 of the 5 knobs for the inside adjustment shafts... however, I count myself lucky to have at least one!!

-The main channel knob is missing whatever decal goes on its face, but both it and the on/off knob are still there.

So overall, aside from the possibly de-laminating edge of the pic tube, the set is in what I'd consider to be fine shape for being 46 yerars old. It was evidently last fired up about a year ago (that was the last time this woman could remember seeing it on, after it was moved into the work area that her husband used), so overall, I'm pretty optimistc about getting it up and operational again. Although I'm certainly not sanguine about having to track down a new CRT (if necessary), at least I know that a few have turned up recently.

And a personal note: After reading through the forum and visiting some sites, I'm now very mindful of the fact that I'm exceedingly fortunate to have found a CTC-5 in anything like working order, so this is defintely a situation where I feel as though I've been cursed with good fortune: the truth is, this is my **first** vintage set, and after seeing all of the enormous effort that you folks have had to go through to both locate AND get yours operational, I feel like one of those jerks that hit a hole-in-one the first time they go golfing...

So please know that I have an enormous amount of respect and awe for the work that you all do... and I hope to be a frequent visitor and learn as much as I can from this incredibly valuable resource.

If anyone's got any handy tips or advice as to where I might find some of the minor things I need to finish off the cosmetic restoration, or has any helpful comments about this CRT issue, then I'd certainly be grateful for the assistance. Thanks to everyone for your help!

-Kevin

Last edited by Joel Cairo; 03-17-2003 at 04:29 AM.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

CTC-5

Hey Joel,
Nice finding a Lockhaven "Super" series. Make sure you have the "Super" series Sams Photofact and not the "Deluxe" series. You'll also notice that the Lockhaven model was the only CTC-5 that had the word "color" on the picture tube surround until the "Mark" series was introduced. The cheater cord is an easy replacement.
The original 21AXp22A picture tube may have been replaced with a 21FB. which didn't require a safety glass so it may have been discarded. If you replace the glass it's demensions are: 23 3/8"w x 18 7/16"h x 1/4" thick. The corners are rounded. As far as the cabinet is concerned, I believe it has hardboard sides and top with a photo/faux wood grained finish.So use care in any refinishing procedures. The missing knobs were used by RCA for years on many of their sets and should be easy to find. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Steve D.; 03-17-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, Steve-- I'll be sure to make the necessary distinction when I get the Sam's booklet for the set-- the one provided (as shown in the first picture), is the wrong one, as Eric suspected.

And thanks, too for the rest of the info... good to know that finding replacements won't be an impossible quest!!

One thing about the missing safety glass panel... did the originals have "tabs" on the edges? The clips that are still there are mounted in what look like a couple of small recesses, where such tabs might have fit...

Just curious-- though I don't suppose a replacement glass would necessarily **have** to have them.

-Kevin
Old 03-17-2003, 04:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Safety Glass

Kevin,
There were 4 spring clips that held the glass in place. They were released from inside the cabinet. The clips are (were) located at the 2-4-8-10 o'clock position as you face the set.
Audiokarma