Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-18-2003, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Westinghouse Rectangular

There is an owners manual for a Westinghouse Color TV on ebay.
Seller thinks it is from the late 50's and the pictures show a rectangular screen!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3638

Could it be...
Old 06-18-2003, 07:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Westinghouse color

Eric,
That's a tough call. The artwork could be mid 50's to early sixties. I wish he had included a picture of the operating controls. Did Westinghouse produce a round screen color set in the late 50's early 60's?
Old 06-19-2003, 06:06 AM
wvsaz

It says COLOR on the manual, and the shape of the rectangular pictures (rounded corners) shown is that of the 22EP22, and not the square corner look of the sixties rectangulars. I would guess this is the genuine article, from 1956 or '57.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:01 AM
On Land

I emailed the seller last night to ask if there was any indication to what model set this went to or if there was a tube diagram or tube list. This was his reply...

HI CHARLIE.THERE IS NO REFERNCE TO A MAKE OR MODEL IN THIS BROCHURE.THE ONLY NUMBER I CAN FIND IS RM4226 AT THE BOTTOM OF EACH PAGE.....JOE

I did look to see if I could find that RM4226 in Sams, but had no luck. I then dug around in the Sams index looking for any other color sets from the 50's other than their first color set. I did find one, but it had a 21cyp22 in Sams folder 437-2 (1959). I looked a little further, but couldn't find anymore Westinghouse color sets till folder 644-3, which turned out to be a CTC-15 clone with a round tube.

Below is the 21" in 1959.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:24 AM
On Land

Correction....

Looks like the Westinghouse set in 644-3 is not a CTC15 clone, but instead a CTC12 clone.

Audiokarma
Old 06-19-2003, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Westinghouse color

The round tube Westinghouse color set pictured has an almost identical control knob configuration to the 22" rectangular color set. The two large knobs on either end and three smaller center knobs placed horizontally above the screen. Even the trim design is similar. The letter/number on the brochure (RM4226) could designate RM-rectangular-model-(4?)-22-color tube-(6?). The 22 might also represent screen size. the rectangular pictures in the brochure may be generic since they seem to be discribing contrast/brightness and not color controls. And may also have been used in black-white owner manuals. Just my speculation.
Old 06-19-2003, 03:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Rob,
I recall on May 27, 03 you posted a pix of the Westinghouse 22'. Maybe you could post it again on this thread for comparison to the 21" roundie.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:45 PM
wvsaz

Westinghouse Rectangular

Here is the 1956 Westinghouse 22" chassis. No model number visible.
Old 06-19-2003, 04:48 PM
wvsaz

Westinghouse Rectangular

A view of the set:
Old 06-19-2003, 06:09 PM
On Land

I asked the seller if he could scan anything in the manual that would show controls. He sent me a page that starts instructions on adjusting the picture. The rest for the color section he typed from the next page. Here is what he said was in it...

HI CHARLIE.

ATATCHED IS A COPY OF THE ONLY OTHER PICTURE IN THE BROCHURE, THE CONTROLS. IF IT'S ANY HELP, THE TV WAS BLACK AND WHITE WITH COLOR AVAILABILITY BUILT IN.

COLOR STEP 1..WHEN RECEIVING A PERFECT B&W PICTURE, ROTATE THE COLOR CONTROL SLOWLY TO THE RIGHT, ETC. STEP 2..ADJUST THE HUE SLOWLY LEFT OR RIGHT FOR NATURAL LOOKING FACE TONES, ETC. STEP THREE..WHEN PICTURE SIGNAL IS WEAK FROM A DISTANT STATION, COLR DENISTY MAY BE INCREASED BY SLIGHT RE-ADJUSTMENT OF THE FINE TUNING CONTROL .

THE INFO ALSO REFERNCES TO WESTINGHOUSE "FEATHER TOUCH" COLOR CONTROLS. I HOPE THIS HELPS. I WILL ADD THE PHOTO TO THE AUCTION ALSO.

JOE

There is a noticeable similarity between controls in this manual and those of the 21" round set I posted and the 21" rectangular that Bill posted. In the manual photo, notice the panel for the color controls. They look to be the same as the ones on the side of the round color set.

Last edited by Charlie; 06-19-2003 at 07:11 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 06-19-2003, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Charlie, the control layout places it in the correct era and the graphics on the booklet clearly show a rectangular set.

It could be they used generic graphics for all of the books but I would bet not.

I think I will bid on it anyway
Old 06-19-2003, 06:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Square one

Charlie,
I don't think we're making much progress. I think the chassis are identical except for the picture tubes. The 22" chassis picture also has what appears to be two controls on the lower left side below the speaker.
Eric, go for it. No matter which set it is it's a rare item and not likely to come up again soon.

Last edited by Steve D.; 06-19-2003 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 07:17 PM
On Land

Oops,

I meant to try replacing that photo with a smaller one, and instead killed it altogether. Here it is again, but a little smaller.

Old 06-20-2003, 12:52 AM
wvsaz

I suspect that Westinghouse used the same chassis for both the round and rectangular color tube models. Electrically both tubes are nearly identical.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:16 AM
Administrator

Well, I won the manual, I let you know when I get it.

It may be a generic manual that could be for either set but we'll see.
Audiokarma