Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-28-2022, 11:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Studio Sound Electronics ?

Studio Sound Electronics was my go-to site for VCR belts and rubber parts, and they had a huge database of transport mech. photos indexed by make/model number.

Haven't needed to order from them for a couple of years - I always order a few extras of low-priced parts to save on shipping - but I just checked their website http://www.iglou.com/studiosound/ and got a 404 Not Found.

I Googled and found a studiosoundelectronics.com site that works, but they only sell guitar amp parts. Is this the same company that had used to sell VCR parts or are they gone?

Where are you getting belts and idler tires from these days?
Old 07-29-2022, 02:56 PM
15.7Khz squeal with joy

The shut down their VCR parts division a few years ago. From my understanding they only kept it open to sell off whatever stock they had left.

Only website I'm still aware of now is SMC Electronics (www.smcelectronics.com), but even they are out of lots of items (make sure you email first before placing an order).

I was told turntableneedles.com (https://www.turntableneedles.com/Cam...er_Drive_Belts) stocks some, but you'd need to figure out what size/dimensions you need first.

Other than that, I guess roll the dice with ebay and Amazon.

I would love to hear if anyone knows of any other sites.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I wish Studio Sound Electronics had at least kept the product pages open just so I could see the sizes of belts specific VCRs needed, that kind of info isn't easy to come by.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:46 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESigma25 View Post
I wish Studio Sound Electronics had at least kept the product pages open just so I could see the sizes of belts specific VCRs needed, that kind of info isn't easy to come by.
You should check if the wayback machine on archive.org saved the old site. You may be able to still mine it for info if you can access it through there.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-29-2022, 05:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You should check if the wayback machine on archive.org saved the old site. You may be able to still mine it for info if you can access it through there.
These links seem to work? At least the handful I've tried all worked.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120424...cs.com/oem.htm
Audiokarma
Old 07-29-2022, 06:11 PM
15.7Khz squeal with joy

This is link I have saved that normally works fine for me:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210501...cs.com/oem.htm
Old 07-30-2022, 06:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

The only thing is that I'm not sure how to get the sizes of the belts from the listings for the kits, I have a RCA VKP-900T I want to restore and it has several belts so I have a fair bit to buy.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:16 PM
15.7Khz squeal with joy

Quote:
The only thing is that I'm not sure how to get the sizes of the belts from the listings for the kits, I have a RCA VKP-900T I want to restore and it has several belts so I have a fair bit to buy.
If I recall correctly, that uses 2 belts for loading. If you go on the SMC Electronics website, it lists them as:

VCRBLT04 IC = 3.125". THK = 0.079". (2x)
VCRBLT306 IC = 4.600". THK = 0.046". (1x)

For some reason, the Studio Sound website lists 4 belts (it looks like there's a 2nd of the larger one) but I have no idea where it goes - I couldn't see a 4th belt in my VKP-900.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by probnot View Post
If I recall correctly, that uses 2 belts for loading. If you go on the SMC Electronics website, it lists them as:

VCRBLT04 IC = 3.125". THK = 0.079". (2x)
VCRBLT306 IC = 4.600". THK = 0.046". (1x)

For some reason, the Studio Sound website lists 4 belts (it looks like there's a 2nd of the larger one) but I have no idea where it goes - I couldn't see a 4th belt in my VKP-900.
I watched your video, did you get yours sorted out? I haven't even touched mine yet, been too busy. Need to figure out why the take-up reel on my Sony SLV-575 won't turn too...
Old 07-31-2022, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

http://www.russellind.com
Bought prb
On this site under downloads you can download the belt cross
Audiokarma
Old 08-19-2022, 07:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a well-worn hardcopy version of the PRB Cross reference. It lists belts for every kind of electronic device that uses them, like cassette recorders, answering machines, car stereos, in addition to VCRs. It lists belts as PRB part numbers, but there are tables to convert PRB numbers to size, so you could go order the belts from MCM. PRB belts were pricey, about $3.95 each, but were sold at actual parts stores, so if I only needed 1-2 belts for a VCR, it was still cheaper than paying shipping from an online distributor.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mcm is long gone...
Parts express came from mcm.
Also CEI. Ceitron.com CEI only sells to shops no individual's
The prices on line are outdated. Steve is basically a I man business
No time to update Web site.
https://www.smcelectronics.com/smcpage2.htm
Scroll down to bottom see belts wheel idlers
Old 08-26-2022, 10:24 PM
15.7Khz squeal with joy

Quote:
I watched your video, did you get yours sorted out? I haven't even touched mine yet, been too busy. Need to figure out why the take-up reel on my Sony SLV-575 won't turn too...
I have not, too much capacitor plague unfortunately. I have a second VKP-900 I hope to get to...some day.
Old 10-25-2022, 02:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just received e-mail response from the owner of Studio Sound Electronics:

"We've been out of the VCR parts business for over 5 years now. Demand dropped to such a low level that it was no longer practical to continue with that product line.

Manufacturers have discontinued almost 100% of VCR parts, since VCRs are pretty much obsolete and only are in existence for collectors. We never manufactured VCR parts - we only bought VCR parts in bulk from manufacturers and resold them in individual quantities for consumers. When manufacturers stopped offering parts, our VCR parts business was doomed.

Belts are still available from www.vintage-electroncs.net and www.turntableneedles.com"

(The remaining, unsold VCR parts inventory were liquidated and sold to user waltchan in this forum in early-2022. Please PM waltchan if you need a certain VCR part, and he will find and sell it to you.)

Best Regards,

Frank Fendley
Customer Service
Studio Sound Electronics"
Old 10-27-2022, 04:38 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Thank you for that update note, waltchan. I will send you a private message here.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma