Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
This is why I pass these up when I see them.
Yeah, well you're missing out on a great opportunity, because most of these Flat Pamel TVs only have a few capacitors that are bad in the power supplies that is why they quit working and once you replace the crappy poor quality caps with high quality Nichicon caps these TVs will last quite a while.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Thanks for the childish name-calling.

My comment on the TV had nothing to do with you. Don't be so paranoid.

My comment was based on it being a 9-year old 720p Westinghouse. That's all.

I didn't call you any names, I said "keep your negative nelly comments to yourself!" key word "negative nelly" which is NOT calling you names, its an old cliche saying that means you're being very pessimistic. Please learn the difference between name calling and cliche usage.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:05 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Really... I kind of doubt that. Of course considering the source here (you are the one who constantly trolls me on here in practically every thread I've posted on here) I think you're just saying that to just be a troll as usual. I know for a fact that I've been able to get used TV remotes on ebay for as little as $5 and free shipping, the power supply and inverter board for this particular TV was selling for as low as $20 and free shipping on ebay, and considering you can sell one of these sets for as much as $100 there's still plenty of room to make money on this TV yet. So keep your negative nelly comments to yourself!
As someone who knows Jim personally. I can say that he is a nice person that will tell you the truth as he sees it, and not a troll. Interpreting his posts as trolling is at best a mistake, and at worst an example of paranoia causing posts with differing opinions to falsely read in a hostile tone.

As a moderator I would like to politely encourage you to remove the negative filter you seem to view his posts through and look at them objectively, not seem to border on an open spat like you are doing here (and in the youtube troubles thread), and/or simply ignore* him. It would make discourse here more pleasant.

* Since a couple months after joining I've tried to read EVERY new post here, and I can say that there are a couple of members here (Jim is NOT one) whose posts I almost never read because I simply feel there is nothing to be gained from it and a lot of time, annoyance and pointless (sometimes repetitive) knee jerk correction posts to be wasted doing so....Perhaps I'm wasting my time now too, but I just wanted to say sometimes the best thing to do in life (on a number of levels) is to simply walk away and ignore something you dislike.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-12-2016, 11:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Yeah, well you're missing out on a great opportunity, because most of these Flat Pamel TVs only have a few capacitors that are bad in the power supplies that is why they quit working and once you replace the crappy poor quality caps with high quality Nichicon caps these TVs will last quite a while.
SOMETIMES it is that way...but OTHER times--there is a bad signal board, bad tab bond on the panel, bad ccfl tubes/Led's in the BL, or cracked panel you CANNOT see--till the BL is on..

I should know...I still work on them regularly. I see a WHOLE Lot more serious problems in only a short time--than I EVER did with CRT type sets.

Recently...I had a mitsubishi 40 inch LCD set. It had a MINOR burn on the right side...barely visible.
Pretty sure I could have sold it that way..few people would notice and the "Mitsubishi name" alone would help it to sell. Had it sold for 150...UNTIL the SECOND problem made itself known. It would suddenly go to ALL BARS..one one side of the panel. If you twisted it JUST a bit...it would clear up. Bad tab bond....there was NOTHING I could do to fix it reliably...and I TRIED...believe me I tried !! But I just could not make it stable....so I ended up scrapping it and saved all boards and parts.

Today....I worked on a not real old LG 50" set. No raster--but run volts are ok. There is a quick "flash then nothing". tests proved at least one LED strip is bad. I just repaired a 47" LG set with the same exact problem.

Another set i recently fixed...a 32" 014 model Emerson (Funai) The SMPS was blown up. I was able to fix that...and THEN I had a good BL and menu...but nO signal would pass--nor could I get into the service menu. I had tog et another signal board--by the time i was done...I had over 50 in it..and can only get 100 MAX for it--even with a remote.

Another Proscan set has no BL. not getting any BL supply volts from SMPS.

Yet another 55' VIzio will not boot. Tried reset. No good. Will ned the signal board rebuilt...minimum of near 100 to get that done..

So...not NEARLY all of them are "just something simple like caps or connections. a FEW of them...but a LOT need parts--that often cost between 15 and 100..

Last edited by rca2000; 05-12-2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: More info...
Old 05-13-2016, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca2000 View Post
SOMETIMES it is that way...but OTHER times--there is a bad signal board, bad tab bond on the panel, bad ccfl tubes/Led's in the BL, or cracked panel you CANNOT see--till the BL is on..

I should know...I still work on them regularly. I see a WHOLE Lot more serious problems in only a short time--than I EVER did with CRT type sets.

Recently...I had a mitsubishi 40 inch LCD set. It had a MINOR burn on the right side...barely visible.
Pretty sure I could have sold it that way..few people would notice and the "Mitsubishi name" alone would help it to sell. Had it sold for 150...UNTIL the SECOND problem made itself known. It would suddenly go to ALL BARS..one one side of the panel. If you twisted it JUST a bit...it would clear up. Bad tab bond....there was NOTHING I could do to fix it reliably...and I TRIED...believe me I tried !! But I just could not make it stable....so I ended up scrapping it and saved all boards and parts.

Today....I worked on a not real old LG 50" set. No raster--but run volts are ok. There is a quick "flash then nothing". tests proved at least one LED strip is bad. I just repaired a 47" LG set with the same exact problem.

Another set i recently fixed...a 32" 014 model Emerson (Funai) The SMPS was blown up. I was able to fix that...and THEN I had a good BL and menu...but nO signal would pass--nor could I get into the service menu. I had tog et another signal board--by the time i was done...I had over 50 in it..and can only get 100 MAX for it--even with a remote.

Another Proscan set has no BL. not getting any BL supply volts from SMPS.

Yet another 55' VIzio will not boot. Tried reset. No good. Will ned the signal board rebuilt...minimum of near 100 to get that done..

So...not NEARLY all of them are "just something simple like caps or connections. a FEW of them...but a LOT need parts--that often cost between 15 and 100..
I wasn't saying that all of them are an easy repair but most of the ones I've dealt with were just simply a bad set of capacitors in the power supply. but anyways I'm sorry if my comment seemed a little ignorant, that wasn't my intention.
Audiokarma
Old 05-13-2016, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
As someone who knows Jim personally. I can say that he is a nice person that will tell you the truth as he sees it, and not a troll. Interpreting his posts as trolling is at best a mistake, and at worst an example of paranoia causing posts with differing opinions to falsely read in a hostile tone.

As a moderator I would like to politely encourage you to remove the negative filter you seem to view his posts through and look at them objectively, not seem to border on an open spat like you are doing here (and in the youtube troubles thread), and/or simply ignore* him. It would make discourse here more pleasant.

* Since a couple months after joining I've tried to read EVERY new post here, and I can say that there are a couple of members here (Jim is NOT one) whose posts I almost never read because I simply feel there is nothing to be gained from it and a lot of time, annoyance and pointless (sometimes repetitive) knee jerk correction posts to be wasted doing so....Perhaps I'm wasting my time now too, but I just wanted to say sometimes the best thing to do in life (on a number of levels) is to simply walk away and ignore something you dislike.
OK, well I do want you to know that its kind of hard for me to take critical comments directed at me, I do have Autism and it makes it hard for me to take criticism and what not so again I appologize if feelings were hurt. I'll try better next time to make sure that I don't say anything upsetting again.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:13 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
OK, well I do want you to know that its kind of hard for me to take critical comments directed at me, I do have Autism and it makes it hard for me to take criticism and what not so again I appologize if feelings were hurt. I'll try better next time to make sure that I don't say anything upsetting again.
Fair enough. Just try to keep in mind that not all differing/opposing viewpoints are criticism, not all criticism is bad (some is meant to help prevent you and others from making mistakes that you may regret), and that as long as one interacts with other people one will inevitably receive some criticism (so learning how to deal with it constructively is a good thing).

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-27-2016, 04:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Couple of things to consider here:
1. The power supply board might not fix the problem or other serious problems might be discovered, such as a bad screen.
2. A brand new 32 inch Westinghouse sells for about $130 on Amazon...possibly cheaper in discount stores...Why would anybody spend $100 for an old one with no warranty?

jr
You got a point there.I just looked up a Delta power board for a Vizio and almost died after looking at the price for it.A couple to few hundred bucks more you can buy a new set.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
This is why I pass these up when I see them.
That probably will happen here if theres no cheap fix for them.Now I got two to my name sitting here.The good thing about them is they dont take up room and some are light to carry around.Not like those boat anchor 32 inch CRT sets.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralradio View Post
That probably will happen here if theres no cheap fix for them.Now I got two to my name sitting here.The good thing about them is they dont take up room and some are light to carry around.Not like those boat anchor 32 inch CRT sets.
Well when I picked it up, I was taking a chance on it because sometimes they work just fine and sometimes they need a little work and sometimes they may not be worth my time to fix. I just thought that since it was an older unit that it would of more than likely had the bad power supply capacitor issue than a newer one would of (since it has the power supply that uses the 3-prong computer style power cord setup as opposed to a brick like your newer LCD TVs have which aren't as easy to fix or diagnose.) And anyways I haven't given up on this TV yet because you can find a used power supply/inverter board for this TV for around $20 with free shipping on eBay. So I'm going to take a chance with that and see what happens, if that doesn't fix the issue then I might just give up on the TV and just recycle it.
Audiokarma