Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-05-2017, 05:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did a hot car experiment.

Decided to see how hot it got in my car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_odjdVLbTPo

After seeing the results, perhaps I should see if I can boil water in my car.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:37 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
Decided to see how hot it got in my car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_odjdVLbTPo

After seeing the results, perhaps I should see if I can boil water in my car.
No, you won't be able to boil water in your car with the inside temperature only 180 (!) degrees Fahrenheit. The boiling point of water (and all liquids) is 212 degrees F. However, leaving anything in a hot car can be dangerous and even fatal, as I will explain.

I never realized, until now, that the temperature inside a car in the summer with the windows closed can reach anywhere near, let alone exceed, 180 degrees Fahrenheit. This should serve as a stern warning, not to be ignored under any circumstances, never to leave anything that can melt inside your car in hot weather; needless to say, this also applies to leaving babies and children, not to mention animals, in cars with the windows closed and no air conditioning. The latter is illegal in the US, as it is, respectively, a form of child and animal endangerment.

BTW, this warning also applies to leaving animals, children or anything that can melt in a hot car anywhere in the US. Florida is not the only state in which cars can reach dangerously high interior temperatures with no AC and the windows closed; this is a potential danger anywhere. For example, I live in northeastern Ohio, which just went through a hot spell (and still is: the forecast is for temperatures in the 90s for much of the rest of the summer) during which the air temperature reached 90+ degrees Fahrenheit. This is just the outside air temperature; inside a car, with the windows wound up and the AC off or inoperative, the interior temperature can reach close to 180 degrees (as in VK member lnx64's experiment). This, of course, will kill animals and young children in very short order, by means of dehydration.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 07-12-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

The temperature reached way more than 180F in my video. It reached 205F. It's not even the hottest day.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
No, you won't be able to boil water in your car with the inside temperature only 180 (!) degrees Fahrenheit. The boiling point of water (and all liquids) is 212 degrees F. However, leaving anything in a hot car can be dangerous and even fatal, as I will explain.
I'm not exactly a chemistry whiz, but I know for sure that different liquids have different boiling points.

Quote:
The temperature reached way more than 180F in my video. It reached 205F. It's not even the hottest day.
That would boil water where I live. At 5,280 I think its around 203 °F, and I'm closer to 5,400. Dashboard ramen, anyone?

Last edited by SpaceAge; 07-12-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:36 PM
M is for Memory

One thing I'll never miss from the time I lived in Florida....Burning myself on the metal when trying to buckle up...Blue car + black interior in Florida = oven.

I'd imagine if you set a cup of water with a magnifying glass on it in there when you filmed that, that boiling would occur.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 07-12-2017, 08:52 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceAge View Post
I'm not exactly a chemistry whiz, but I know for sure that different liquids have different boiling points.
That would boil water where I live. At 5,280 I think its around 203 °F, and I'm closer to 5,400. Dashboard ramen, anyone?
Me either, but some people are wrong so often one can run out of energy to correct them. You touch on both variables that affect boiling point: temp and atmospheric pressure....Two things Jeff probably don't know: one can boil water at normal room temp if you get the pressure right, and there is a Triple Point (pressure/temp combo) where H2O is simultaneously stable in solid (ice), Liquid, and gaseous (steam/boiling) states....It is really cool looking if you ever see a picture.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-13-2017, 01:12 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Forget about trying to boil water, what's the auto-ignition temperature of whatever your interior is made of?

I thought summer where I am is bad but that's legitimately terrifying. Anything above about 12 Celsius is too much for me. At 12 below I would be in my element.