Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Electronics Accumulator

It followed me home... Philco roundie

I bought this set from another AK'er. It kinda worked as it was, but had no color at all, just a purpleish tinted B&W picture. The previous owner tested the tube and said that the CRT is very strong, so it's definitely a problem with the chassis. I did a little work on it today - I removed the chassis and cleaned the considerable amount of dust off it, cleaned the controls, and vacuumed out the cabinet. I replaced a quite obviously bad small electrolytic on the board near the color oscillator circuit (there was a gooey leaked-electrolyte spot on the board, and it's leads were corroded a bit).

Testing again, I had some color. I get a weak red, and plenty of blue - but not even a hint of green. Rear controls don't have any effect on the lack of green. It will be a little while before I have time to go to the library and get a schematic, but at least now it's clean enough inside where I can see the boards.

I don't have a way of testing the tubes in this set, since my tester is too old to have settings for them (Heathkit TC-1). I've already tried swapping around 6GH8A's amongst the positions in the set, as well as the 6BL8's.

This set is really unusual. Not only is it a late Philco roundie, but it is a "backward" chassis - the flyback is on the left. Also, this set has a tuning eye - it's a side view tube, and it's mounted above the channel selector knob.

-Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg philco_somecolor.jpg (192.9 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg philco_chassis_clean.jpg (179.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg philco_chassis_filthy.jpg (166.2 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg philco_back.jpg (193.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg philco.jpg (189.6 KB, 152 views)