Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Roundie in Philadelphia

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/atq/2286103597.html

Anybody know what chassis this is? it's definitely not from the 50s. Me likey.Only problem is where to put it. Shame on me considering another roundie when I'm practically out of room. I think he needs to come down a little before I'd overcrowd myself.

But I'd have no problem if someone from here would save it and me from overcrowding.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

CTC 16 from '66 or '67. It has the wrong tuner knob fro a newer set. For 100 I should hope it has a good fly and crt at the very least based on prices i have seen
Old 03-26-2011, 10:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Uh-oh a CTC16.I 've read here that is one of RCAs best chassis.Yeah I wouldn't pay that unless he let me test the crt at least.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:07 AM
First Light: 1952-2011

Why not? $100 seems to be a pretty fair price for a roundie these days, it's what I paid for my CTC-9, and $125 for the CTC-4.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

if the cabinet was mint i would think 100 is good even with bad fly and crt but that is such a common set that one can get for not much more working good from what i think i have seen. i bet both the fly and crt are likely good in that since it is obviously a replacement crt because of phospher color.
there is no comparison to that old tired CTC-16 and almost any repairable CTC-9 in terms of value. i am not trying to come across as anything close to an expert. jus reviewin what i think i have seen/read
Audiokarma
Old 03-26-2011, 02:06 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

According to my RCA manual, the 21FJP22 is what it's supposed to have, so the green color on the face would be normal. No way to tell it's been replaced till you see the back of the tube.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

that set looks like it has about a million hours on it. Never seen one with so much wear around the tuning knob that that. First thing you'll do is change the 6GH8's and at the same time, the tube sockets will go right through the pc boards.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

picture tube for late ctc 16 is 21fjp22a
Old 03-26-2011, 11:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

It could be the lighting but the screen color looks lighter than the original style greenish 21FJ. Even the color knobs look like someone used Formula 409 to clean them leaving maybe none of those very pretty colors they should have.
What a product name... Formula 409... with such a technical sounding name like that it must be very good. Sooo much better than than the previous four hundred and eight versions.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

heck they say or best offer, someone go throw them a 40$ offer, or you could go up some if they let you test the CRT (and you peek at the FLY).

I figure 40$ is fair if for nothing more than parts that "should" be ok, I guess you could get a real heap (bad fly/yoke/vert out, shorted Pwr trans, broken converg assy, in which case you would be down to maybe getting pots, coils, tuner, etc...

I just tell them the truth, if the CRT is bad then it become VERY hard to repair since they are hard to get. And even if its test just OK there is alway the chance of it dropping dead to gas (that is what happened to a zenith I picked up a few months back, it had a weak tube, and after about 30 min of combined run time it just went to air, and the filament burned out before I even knew what happened.

anyway thats my 2 cents on it.

I dont know if they understand that collectors are not getting rich off these old sets, you can drop a lot of coin trying to get one up and running and most likely will never get your money back,much less profit on it.

I think after they get a few calls, you know, I'll be right over, give me directions, I am on the way, etc... and then the caller never shows up, they will begin to understand that money talks.
Audiokarma
Old 03-26-2011, 11:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I agree with Dave on all points.
It is a shame most people can't figure out for themselves what is logical and will most always, no matter how much they smile with "sincere" niceness, believ u are not telling the truth to make a fortune off them. I am sure many great sets ended up in the trash from such typical mindsets. Some people believ such to the point of resenting anybody that offers less than what they want to the point they get angry and enjoy "getting back at you" by trashing the set rather than recognize an honest person and accept a reasonable offer.
However, with this very tired but very worthwhile CTC16 I bet he takes a low offer.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

you know even a 40$ is prob a "great" offer when you put it into perspective (outside our TV collector view point). If not for a handfull of guys (and gals if you are out there) that can actually do something (other than the alledged repurposing of the cabinet which I would bet rarely ever gets done or is kept very long if it does), these things would cost money just to have someone haul them away. I am sure there are exceptions, and I would have no problem buying from another collector where the working status is well know and therefore the set has more value, but with these kinds of sets (CL buys with unknown status) that are not operating its really just a crap shoot.

Sometimes i wonder if non collectors find this site and get all worked up over our at times rabbid like obsession, and think they are really going to score big.

Of couse what they dont know is A) not all old TV's are created equal, B) like real estate location location location, and C) even we have limits on how many can be save due to size and storage.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB5pro View Post
if the cabinet was mint i would think 100 is good even with bad fly and crt but that is such a common set that one can get for not much more working good from what i think i have seen. i bet both the fly and crt are likely good in that since it is obviously a replacement crt because of phospher color.
there is no comparison to that old tired CTC-16 and almost any repairable CTC-9 in terms of value. i am not trying to come across as anything close to an expert. jus reviewin what i think i have seen/read
It may be a common set in certain parts of the country especially around big cities but this Delmarva.Lots and lots of rural area and most beach and fishing areas.The oldest sets I found even in the mid 80s when I searched out tvs were late 60s Zeniths and early 70s hybrids unless they were being sold by an antique dealer.

Philly is barely within reasonsable driving distance for me.I've driven farther for a jukebox but as you said this is a low value tv of unknown condition that may have a lot of hours on it.I think Bryan Gadow has an impressive collection for being in this area but he gets around more than I do and has been collecting tvs for years. I sold or gave away all I had until recently when I got interested in old sets again.I still don't have any room.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

I agree with Dvae that $40. should be top dollar if dealing with fair minded people. I agree that many people skim the pages of this site and see what they want to see and believe they have something worth 100 times more than it is. I agree that if u can't find one anywhere 100 could be a low price but I recommend Daves approach to possibly get a fair price even if no others are around. At any day there could be 2 or 3 to choose from right after u buy it. However, I am sure it is worth going to look at and explain to the buyer all relevant points and most likely they will let u peek inside the cabinet and HV cage at the very least if they are in any way a decent person with half a mind or better. I think the fact that set exists after all the use it apperas to have had indicates a strong likelyhood it could have a new flyback and very good if not newish CRT.
I hope somebody can get to it to help avoid losing a new flyback and or picture tube. Even if you dont have room for the whole cabinet that I think looks pretty nice, you could save the parts and throw the cabinet in the trash (save some wood veneer for repairing other cabinets) which is much better than the whole thing being trashed which is most likely what will happen to it. I wish I could go get it.

Last edited by JB5pro; 03-27-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:39 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
that set looks like it has about a million hours on it. Never seen one with so much wear around the tuning knob that that. First thing you'll do is change the 6GH8's and at the same time, the tube sockets will go right through the pc boards.
I know what you mean. I had a Sears Silvertone 21" color roundie (RCA CTC-12 clone, IIRC) in the early '70s that was instantly ruined when I tried to replace the 6AW8 video output tube. I tried to put in the replacement tube, which had a slightly bent pin, and five seconds later I heard a sickening CRUNCH as the socket broke out of the board and clunked to the bottom of the set. The TV was only about six years old, but who knows how much use it got during that time. If it had been used a lot (I don't really know how much it was actually used, as I got this set from someone in my old neighborhood who had had it in his garage who knows how long), the PC panels became brittle from heat. It doesn't take much to break a socket out when the boards are this fragile; once that happens, you might as well junk the set since this kind of damage is difficult, if not downright impossible, to repair.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma
Closed Thread