Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Expeditions & Passions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-22-2015, 11:28 PM
jr_tech's Avatar
jr_tech jr_tech is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgadow View Post
My wife likes to use a little fan-forced heater in the fall/spring when we don't have the pellet stove running. My mother-in-law went out and bought her a brand new one because it would be "more efficient". Of course, the old one is only 8 or 9 years old...and they both consume the same 1500 watts as something from the 50's.
Very true *IF* the older heater still consumes 1500 Watts... as has been said here, "1500 Watts is 1500 Watts". The gotcha is that over time, some heaters (such as the "ceramic" models) increase in resistance and no longer draw 1500 Watts. Over 5 winters of use, one that I have has dropped to about 725 Watts, as measured on a kill-a-watt meter... still is ok in my shop area, but no longer "toasty warm".

jr
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-23-2015, 01:32 AM
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar
ChrisW6ATV ChrisW6ATV is offline
Another CT-100 lives!
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hayward, Cal. USA
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
some heaters (such as the "ceramic" models) increase in resistance ...
I remember when those were the latest fad in "better" heaters, several years ago. Thanks for the warning about them.
__________________
Chris

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-23-2015, 11:27 PM
OvenMaster's Avatar
OvenMaster OvenMaster is offline
DTV blows
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Red Sox Nation
Posts: 560
My favorites are the baseboard convector types. No fan, no noise, nice warm room.

I connected a 1200W one to a line voltage wall thermostat to heat a bedroom and turned off an oil-fired steam radiator. It's perfect.
__________________
Tom
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-24-2015, 06:38 AM
tvtimeisfun tvtimeisfun is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 405
I think hard wired wall heaters are the best still have worries about curtains and furnature being to close plus side no cords for pets to chew and to trip over...Timothy
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-24-2015, 10:56 AM
dishdude's Avatar
dishdude dishdude is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvtimeisfun View Post
I think hard wired wall heaters are the best still have worries about curtains and furnature being to close plus side no cords for pets to chew and to trip over...Timothy
That's a good point, and one of the big selling points of the ceramic heaters. The outside stayed cool to the touch, and if they tipped over on carpet they wouldn't cause a fire.
Reply With Quote
Audiokarma
  #21  
Old 12-24-2015, 12:29 PM
dieseljeep dieseljeep is offline
VideoKarma Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Very true *IF* the older heater still consumes 1500 Watts... as has been said here, "1500 Watts is 1500 Watts". The gotcha is that over time, some heaters (such as the "ceramic" models) increase in resistance and no longer draw 1500 Watts. Over 5 winters of use, one that I have has dropped to about 725 Watts, as measured on a kill-a-watt meter... still is ok in my shop area, but no longer "toasty warm".

jr
I have several of those type heaters. On one, The thermostat controls the heat output and it even controls the fan speed.
All the different makes, seem to be a little different.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
ęCopyright 2012 VideoKarma.org, All rights reserved.