Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-25-2003, 07:59 PM
Administrator

Cabinet cleaned inside and chassis cleaned and halfway in.....with the convergence board, etc yet to be installed.
Old 05-25-2003, 08:37 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Tim,

I'm really impressed with your surge of ambition in this project. You will find it much easier I think to put the degausing plate back around the CRT front with the chassis out.

Was the cover glass for the CRT clear or frosted? If frosted I've found that if you leave too much airgap the resultant picture may be fuzzy in the fine detail. I wouldn't go as much as 1/8th inch in this case. Mine was frosted and I could see the defocussing effect even with throat sticks (like popsicle sticks) and they are more like just 1/16" thick. If it was frosted and 1/8" spaced leave it now that it is done. It will probably be OK. You've a much more important challenge ahead, getting the chassis to work.

Rob
Old 05-25-2003, 09:19 PM
Administrator

It is the frosted glass....

What I did was I kept a small piece of the mouldy stuff to give me a distance guide, the stuff was pretty darn thick. Even if it is slightly fuzzy once it's going, I can easily cure that by tearing the set apart and using a razor blade, undo my work and make it closer up. The chassis is just slid in there at the moment.

And you know, I think that the main reason I was able to do it so quickly (relative to me) is that I did this in the garage. Having undisturbed space is vital to any project.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
You've a much more important challenge ahead, getting the chassis to work.
Yeah, and knowing my own skill level in such an event, if it doesn't work by throwing some tubes in it, it'll be a display piece

Judging by the fact that it uses those brown sealed caps on the chassis and the fact that the picture tube is so good (btw, it is a 1963 date code), hell, it just might work!
Old 05-25-2003, 09:30 PM
Banned

Tim,

There is every chance that it will too. You will want to soft start it though to re-form the supply electrolytics with the HOT removed. I cannot overemphasize the importance of using a variac for this procedure or expect to have to replace the electrolytics.

Do you have a variac? I think you got one from me before a long time ago no? If not I can fix you up with another.

Rob
Audiokarma
Old 05-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Administrator

I still have it. Can't remember how to wire up the damn thing, though.....but I'm sure I'll figger it out.
Old 06-19-2004, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Free to good home......haven't done anything with it since this thread. Three sets in total to get rid of to make room for the new AV setup in the basement.

The CTC5 and the CT100s are staying though
Old 06-22-2004, 12:53 AM
Breaking records is good?

Tim, terrible shame you did not finish the job up. I would give it the go if I did not have so many darn Masco amps sitting in the workpile in the basement. I sort of lost ambition after doing one, then one needed a cap after I replaced the output tranny and the cap was bolted to the chassis, I got irritated and gave up. Then I started piling my stockpile of test equipment around it, fixed an old tube CB radio, then bought that Pioneer 1000TW that will need a new set of outputs on one side as it turns out. Have not done any TV work since I restored my circa 1971 B&W 16 inch Zenith, probably one of the last "Handcrafted" Zeniths, had almost all the original tubes, many of which surprisingly tested good despite its age and the surprising amount of use it saw. I eventually plan to give it a good once over and replace the weaker tubes with NOS ones from my stash, but many of the tubes need to be tested on my Dynamic 85 which is a pain to use. You are lucky you did not pick that one up at Amvets, I thought it was going to be useful after reading the book there at the store and seeing it tested everything under the sun, even Nuvistors and other oddities including odd stuff like those Pentagrid converter tubes used in the Zenith Transoceanic radios, except for the slight problem that it uses symbols like stars, circles, squares, pink hearts, blue diamonds and purple horseshoes (OK, so I made the last three up ). Takes forever to test tubes that way, though it seems simple at a glance it gets really frustrating really quickly. If I could somehow find the room though I would gladly bring the old Emerson back to the living world.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Banned

Could we see a photo of this Emerson color?

Thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator

PM me if I don't put something up tomorrow, I think I still have the pics at work.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Here is a picture of the emerson in question.
Tim did a real nice job on the glass and he cleaned out the chassis.
I did the chassis repairs and This set works vary well.
btw- I found a back for it too
Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emerson 5.jpg (20.7 KB, 59 views)
Old 04-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Banned

Thanks for showing it!

I bet that is a rare one. Looks great!
Old 04-18-2006, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cleaned up really well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Wow Tim,

You must really be desperate. Not many Emersons around though. That will be a nice looker because it has a good cabinet and front but it will take a LOT of work, plus you really don't want to run one of these color sets without a back for safety reasons.

I have identified the chassis as #120699, 722 in my RCA color TV Service Manual. That chassis was used in the RCA CTC-15 sets. I don't know what year it is. I'd guess 1963.

Have you put the CRT tester on it yet?

You did really good on the first score last week IMO.

Rob
I can't believe this thread is over 3 years old. Glad to finally see a picture of the Emerson as the previous pix were, I assume, lost. Ed, you and Kam did a really nice restoration. My reference has it as a 1964 Emerson. Sams 719 folder 2. CTC-15 clone as Rob points out. Emerson also used this chassis with a few tube changes in their first 25" set.

-Steve D.

Last edited by Steve D.; 04-18-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Hah! I got the pics

If there are any old threads that are missing what you consider to be vital pics, please PM me and I'll see if I can reattach them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emerson1.jpg (77.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg emerson12.jpg (86.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg emerson2logo.jpg (74.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg emerson4guts.jpg (95.8 KB, 39 views)
Old 04-19-2006, 10:55 AM
<-- sucker for old sets.

That's a way cool roundie. I've never seen an emerson like that before. Definitely an RCA clone.