Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:53 AM
DTV blows

Channels 31-51 to be sold to mobile providers?

They already auctioned off everything from channels 52 to 83 for mobile and public safety use. Now they want more. Pretty soon there won't be any OTA television left.

http://cea.aristotle.com/Shared%20Do...&ind_guid=null

"CTIA – The Wireless Association® (“CTIA”) and the Consumer Electronics Association (“CEA”) are united in support of the National Broadband Plan’s recommendations to reallocate spectrum from broadcast television services for mobile broadband services and, with this White Paper, seek to advance the discussion and implementation of this vital effort through facts, not
speculation.

This White Paper estimates the auction revenues and costs associated with a voluntary incentive auction of television broadcast spectrum and a repacking of broadcast stations from channels 2-51 to 2-30."

"Remaining broadcast facilities operating on TV channels 31-51 would need to be relocated to the new core channels at TV channels 7-30 (repacked). Based on NTIA data, CTIA and CEA estimate repacking would cost approximately $565 million."
Old 10-17-2012, 10:55 AM
a- v- karma member

Public safety? Let's do it right now, I can't live until we are much safer...
Old 10-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

WHY do they have to effin' LIE all the time ?!? Just say that "We can make LOTS more MONEY if we sell 'em to the cellphone people"...
Old 10-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

That paper is dated Feb 15, 2011. They are still haggling over the details to this day.

A recent article in Sep. 21, 2012 "Broadcast Engineering - Beyond The Headlines":

FCC commissioner Pai says broadcasting is not a relic from the past

FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai — one of two new commissioners to join the agency this May — told a broadcast conference in Dallas last week that broadcasting is not a fading relic from the past and that it would be “counterproductive” to move all broadcasting to broadband services.

Although Pai spoke at an NAB radio conference, his words were aimed at both radio and television.

“The most popular programming enjoyed by Americans continues to be offered by broadcasters,” Pai said. “Last year, in fact, 96 of the 100 most watched television shows in our country were aired on broadcast television. As we head into the future, I believe that broadcasting should and will continue to play an important role in America’s media landscape."

He continued, “To be sure, the rise of broadband is having a revolutionary impact on the lives of Americans. And we at the Commission must aggressively pursue policies to remove regulatory barriers to wireline and wireless broadband deployment. But I don’t view broadband as a substitute for broadcast. Instead, I see broadcast and broadband as complements.”

Moving forward, Pai said, it would make sense for some services to be provided through broadcast and others via broadband.

“If we were to shift all of the services provided by broadcasters to broadband, that would actually be counterproductive,” he said. “It would make our spectrum problems worse, not better. So that’s not what the market will demand.”

As an example, Pai said it is a much more efficient use of spectrum to deliver high-demand programming like the Super Bowl through a one-to-many broadcast than to provide it through millions of one-to-one wireless broadband connections.

Pai said as the market changes, there would still be a place for broadcast, just as there will be a place for broadband.

“Because of this, it’s critical that the FCC not neglect broadcasters," he said. "During my first four months at the Commission, I have met with broadcasters more than 25 times, and I’ve been listening carefully to what you have to say. In these meetings, I keep hearing the same thing. Unfortunately, it seems there’s a widespread perception that today’s FCC is largely indifferent to the fate of your business.”

Pai said he doesn’t believe that this impression is accurate.

“I care about broadcasting ... I agree that the commission can do a better job of focusing on what’s important to broadcasters," he said. "We also need to make a greater effort to keep the lines of communication open between us.”

As to television ownership, the Republican commissioner said he is optimistic the commission can reach a consensus on eliminating the radio-television cross-ownership rule.

“I agree with the commission’s 2011 conclusion that the rule is no longer necessary to protect competition, localism or diversity,” he said.

Once the review of the ownership regulations is complete, he said the commission needs to defend those rules in court successfully.

“If an appeals court rejects our reform efforts yet again, we should take the case to the Supreme Court,” he said. “We need to finish this job.”
Old 10-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Motorola Minion

What relief! I was hoping somebody would realize what Pai has before its too late and B-casters start disappearing.

The amount of programming available only from Cable or Satellite is on the decline and Multicasting by the established broadcasters has increased what is available OTA.

I have not seen a local decrease in the number of broadcasters (PA-NJ-MD) in three years since the transition.
Audiokarma
Old 10-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

More recent news, from Broadcast Engineering RF Update

Oct. 18, 2012 6:53am
Rick Kaplan to lead NAB spectrum policy efforts

Rick Kaplan, who began working in 2009 at the FCC, will join the NAB Oct. 22, 2012, in the newly created position of executive VP, strategic planning.

In his new position with NAB, Kaplan will head up the association’s spectrum and innovation-related policy efforts.

“We are delighted to announce the hiring of Rick Kaplan, whose credibility and integrity are well-recognized both at the commission and in telecom circles in Washington,” said Gordon Smith, NAB president and CEO. “His expertise on spectrum issues will benefit broadcasters greatly as we work with policymakers to ensure a robust local television business for decades to come.”

While at the FCC, Kaplan worked in both the media and wireless fields. As the agency’s deputy coordinator for the DTV transition, he worked on the final stages of the conversion from analog to digital broadcasting. Later, he became chief of staff to FCC commissioner Mignon Clyburn and also served as chief counsel to FCC chairman Julius Genachowski. Kaplan worked as Genachowski’s lead counsel on wireless, media, engineering and public safety issues. Kaplan left the FCC during the summer after serving as chief of the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau.

"I look forward to representing the interests of local TV stations that have a rich legacy of service to their communities, and a vibrant future in the communications ecosystem of tomorrow," said Kaplan.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Actually CH70~83 were allocated and licensed to users in a number of different ways to public safety, specialized mobile radio services (trunking two-way radio), and cellular telephone services (analog AMPS) at the time.

Companies like Nextel at the time bought out a number of two-way radio system licenses in order to build their nationwide network. When many of these licenses sold, the former owners made a lot of money.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:01 PM
Tubes Are Good

Wasn't the original plan for the digital switchover and the move of most channels to UHF so the VHF channels could be re purposed??
Old 10-23-2012, 09:11 PM
<----Zenith C845

I wish that would have happened in Cleveland. Most of the city's TV stations are on UHF DTV channels, but two (on channels 8 and 19) are still on VHF DTV allocations, although the latter was at one time trying to get permission to move to, IIRC, channel 24 (the station is currently on DTV channel 10 and will stay there indefinitely). I don't know why channel 8 didn't make the switch to UHF, though the station was going to move to DTV channel 31; again, however, those plans fell through and were abandoned.

The foregoing is the only thing keeping me from canceling my cable; my indoor DTV antenna is designed for UHF, so the two stations I mentioned (the subchannels of which are, wouldn't you know it, retro-TV stations and the ones I watch most of the time) do not come in at all using that antenna. Worse, I understand that to get the two VHF DTV channels my UHF indoor antenna doesn't get I would have to use an outdoor antenna, which is out of the question since I live in an apartment building and am forbidden (lease restrictions) to put anything on the window ledges, including TV antennas.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:36 AM
DTV blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
...I would have to use an outdoor antenna, which is out of the question since I live in an apartment building and am forbidden (lease restrictions) to put anything on the window ledges, including TV antennas.
Wrong-o, Jeff. You do have the right to put up a television antenna. Uncle Sam says so.
"A local restriction that prohibits all antennas would prevent viewers from receiving signals, and is prohibited by the Commission's rule."
http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule