Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:22 PM
I love old stuff

Photoflood bulbs

I don't know there where in U.S.A. other manufacturers of 'Photoflood' bulbs, but did any one use one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-ECT-Phot...0AAOSw1DtXLPAj
https://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-EBW-Dayl...8AAOSwQYZWulLK
In Europe we had something like that... Nitraphot (German stuff). I see that 'Photflood' bulbs are quite cheap comparing to Nitraphots (at least on ebay).

Last edited by Celt; 08-29-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:43 PM
M is for Memory

For a while, I was using a 1960's 120V 500-750W (I forget the exact spec) bulb with a headlamp form factor in its factory holder as a work lamp for auto repair (twas a damn good/bright lamp at night)...Then the asbestos-wrapped wires that connected the terminals to the cord melted open inside the shroud of its holder, and it has since been laying dismantled in my shop waiting for me to locate wire that can stand the bulbs extreme heat...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-28-2018, 05:48 PM
I love old stuff

Man, I didn't thought they where so hot. Probably the needed special lamps.
But why some where blue?
Old 08-28-2018, 07:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Presumably for white balancing?
Old 08-28-2018, 09:12 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecolor 3007 View Post
Man, I didn't thought they where so hot. Probably the needed special lamps.
But why some where blue?
As MIPS said, for white balance. If you look at the description, it tells the color temperature of over 5000K.

Also, the reason they were so hot and high wattage is because they were run at high temperature to get the less orange color (3200K) than home lighting (2700K) without a blue filter, and put out lots of light for the films that were not very sensitive by modern standards. The blue bulbs reduced the light output, but made the color balanced for daylight color film (nominally 5400K). The alternative would be to use the plain bulbs and put a blue filter on the camera lens.

The penalty for this high temperature was that the life was greatly shortened to maybe 10 hours instead of normal house light bulb life of 1000 hours.

I used some of the plain ones (not blue) for black and white photography when I was in high school (about 1960).

TV studios, both black and white and color, used high temperature incandescent bulbs for a long time, but they always put them on dimmers and set them to 70% of nominal voltage. This both increased the life and gave the lighting director some adjustment range upward in brightness as well as downward. Use of incandescent bulbs meant that studios needed huge air cooling capacity. These costs have been cut greatly by the use of first, fluorescent lamps, and more recently, LED lamps.

Last edited by old_tv_nut; 08-28-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 08-28-2018, 09:27 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
For a while, I was using a 1960's 120V 500-750W (I forget the exact spec) bulb with a headlamp form factor in its factory holder as a work lamp for auto repair (twas a damn good/bright lamp at night)...Then the asbestos-wrapped wires that connected the terminals to the cord melted open inside the shroud of its holder, and it has since been laying dismantled in my shop waiting for me to locate wire that can stand the bulbs extreme heat...
If it was me, I'd toss it and get an LED worklight (unless I wanted to use it to heat the garage in the winter).
Old 08-28-2018, 11:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have several that are NOT used to provide illumination. They are located inside a variac box and may be switched in to provide current limitation for powering up a piece of equipment of unknown condition. The box is a Tektronix TU-75b:

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/TU-75B

The biggest bulb in my unit is a #2 photoflood, which I think is 500W. Rated at 8 hours life.

jr
Old 08-29-2018, 01:32 AM
I love old stuff

But if you use them for 10 minutes it will get really hot in an apartment?
I want to turn on something like this from time to time in order not to use the flash (which can be disturbing to the eyes). Well, I don't think for a quite small room I will be needing 2 x 500 Watts bulbs, I think I can get away with 2 x 250 Watts. I'm not a pro, so I don't have money for L.E.D.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:21 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
If it was me, I'd toss it and get an LED worklight (unless I wanted to use it to heat the garage in the winter).
I've never liked non-incandescent lighting (especially color temp, delayed power-up, flicker, and price) and still use incandescent for everything (except basement and garage where office fluorescent fixtures were installed by my homes previous owner)...Even went back to a standard 100W ruggedized work lamp for the car.

I almost never work in the garage...My cars are not allowed in winter, and it gets too packed to park in summer. I also try not to work on cars in winter...If I can't comfortably hold tools with bare hands I won't at all.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4