Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Respect the tube!

Mitsubishi projection tv

Please feel free to move this to a more appropriate forum if necessary.

My neighbor threw this one at me. They have a Mits rear projection set model WS-65859. Looks to be about a 50" set with a manufacture date of 2002. The manual says it is a digital set but it doesn't appear to be dlp.

The powe went out one night and when it came back on, the tv just flashed the green led indicating a failure. Tried the reset procedure as instructed in the manual. Still same problem.

I realize the power supply is probably plagued with bad caps. But before digging into this monster, is it even worth repairing? I realize that sometimes the power supply may take out other components and just want to avoid a boondoggle over a worthless set. I am told it had a bright and solid picture on it before it crashed. While this is a 16:9 aspect set, I don't believe it is high def. There is nothing to lead me to think it is high def save the VGA connector on the set. Otherwise it it is loaded with svideo, component and composite inputs. The manual says it is a digital set.

Thoughts or experience with this type of set would be appreciated.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Technohippie

Googling the model number shows that the set IS an HDTV. CRT, not DLP.

This website has "capacitor kits", which they claim will fix the "dreaded blinking light problem". It sounds like this is a well-known issue with this set.

http://www.tvrepairworld.com/mitsubishi_repair_kits
Old 04-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Administrator

This site even has pictures of which capacitors you need to replace.

http://www.justanswer.com/tv-repair/...8hr-power.html
Old 04-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Respect the tube!

Thanks guys. This helps a lot. Sounds like it is worth it to repair it.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Respect the tube!

Well, my neighbors didn't want to cough up the cash to fix the set. I found it this morning sitting at the curb.

Fortunately it had not been molested and still had the manual and remote sitting on top of it!

Yes, this monstrosity is now in my garage waiting to be repaired.

I am glad cooler weather is coming so I can dig into it and get the caps replaced.

Pics will be posted soon!
Audiokarma
Old 09-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Mark

Glad you saved it, it sounds like it is similar to the one I just picked up. I have some crappy pictures of it operating on this thread. http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=255292 Mine is a 46" model. It does do 1080i but no HDMI ports.The picture is GREAT on it but I'm only running it at 480i at the moment and it still looks good and sharp. It has a built in crosshatch pattern for convergence adjustments. I plan on getting an HD converter box and cleaning the lenses. I bet it'll look even better. It seems to be a low hours set that was VERY well cared for. The pictures I posted don't do it justice at all. I'm watching it right now
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26

Last edited by zenithfan1; 09-04-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

I used to see those a lot. The capacitors may check OK but change them anyway. That DC converter circuit seems to be fussy about capacitor ESR; a few ohms can make it shut down.
Another "green light of death" cause I have seen on that series is shorted buttons on the front panel keypad. Quick check is to pry the speaker grille off and disconnect the connector that ties the keypad to the chassis. This kills the green light too, but after the 1 minute bootup period (I never could understand why these sets needed so long to boot up), the TV will operate with the remote control. Usually hitting all of the terminals on the tact switches in the keypad with a real hot iron makes them work like new. I think it's the ROHS/tin whiskers thing shorting the switches.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Respect the tube!

Quote:
zenithfan1 Glad you saved it, it sounds like it is similar to the one I just picked up. I have some crappy pictures of it operating on this thread. http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=255292 Mine is a 46" model. It does do 1080i but no HDMI ports.The picture is GREAT on it but I'm only running it at 480i at the moment and it still looks good and sharp. It has a built in crosshatch pattern for convergence adjustments. I plan on getting an HD converter box and cleaning the lenses. I bet it'll look even better. It seems to be a low hours set that was VERY well cared for. The pictures I posted don't do it justice at all. I'm watching it right now
This set looks identical except for the size. I haven't actually measured it yet, but from eyballing it, I think this monster is 60"....it is freaking huge! But we will see shortly.

I am so glad I grabbed it. It is such a nice set and I just couldn't let it go to the landfill, especially knowing that it could be so easily repaired. If I hadn't grabbed it when I did, all would have been lost, it rained last night and it would have been toast. You know how much press wood and electronics love water.

I have ordered the repair kit so hopefully it will come to life soon.

Thanks for the tip on the control panel Geoff! A good piece of info for sure!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Respect the tube!

Hey Zenithfan1,

Your model number of WT-46809, do you think the 46 indicates the screen size....my model is WS-65859. Oh lord, could this be a 65" set!!!!!

Now that would be cool!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yep, that's a 65. Hope you have a big living room
Audiokarma
Old 09-06-2012, 12:05 AM
Mark

Yep, it does... I measured mine to make sure, it seemed bigger but it's a 46". Looks like you found a big SOB! Good luck getting it going, the picture is great!
I second on the landfill thing, part of recycle is RE-USE, a lot of people seem to for get that part. If I didn't grab mine within a day of when I did, he said it was going to a "recycle center" what a waste that would have been...
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26

Last edited by zenithfan1; 09-06-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Respect the tube!

Ugh! It's been two weeks and the parts still haven't arrived. The supplier says they have been shipped but this is taking snail mail to the limit.

I hope they arrive soon. I wanna get this set going!
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like you saved a nice set. Did the seller give you any kind of tracking number, if you don't have them by now I would be on them. You could also just go inside the set, and get the values off of the caps and order some Panasonic FR series caps from mouser, which are low ESR.

Matt
Old 10-13-2012, 09:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

These sets were a good money maker up until the past couple of years. I used to keep a rebuilt DM in stock which I'd take out to exchange at customers house to fix the steady-blink problem, then take their DM home as a core and rebuild it for next time. IIRC there were 1000uf@25v in the power supply and it seems like quite a few small radial caps, 4.7s, 10s, 22s @ 50v... those things ran so hot many of the caps showed 'dry' with the ESR meter... I'd shotgun them all and never failed to fix the problem.