Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

FCC will sell analog frequencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVonse
What happens when NTSC gets discontinued in 2009? Does that mean that none of the lower VHF channels will work?

Personally, I think most of the problem with over the air HDTV is that it has been relegated to UHF spectrum. UHF is pure crap for reception. If HDTV was coming over VHF channels, I think we would see a lot more reliable reception and a lot less pixelating.

I heard somewhere that the military is going to steal all of the VHF spectrum after they close them down for TV. Is that true? I'm not so much against the HDTV format but I think we will all regret losing the VHF spectrum.

As I understand it the FCC will sell off a portion of the frequency band, needed for cell and data transmissions. I'm not sure if all of them will be sold or not.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:00 AM
Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVonse
Personally, I think most of the problem with over the air HDTV is that it has been relegated to UHF spectrum. UHF is pure crap for reception. If HDTV was coming over VHF channels, I think we would see a lot more reliable reception and a lot less pixelating.
The pixelization I was talking about was from reduced bandwidth from the broadcaster because they aren't giving it enough bits per second needed to make 720p or 1080i look really good (rare pixelization, or none, instead of frequent.) It's not related to what channel it happens to be broadcast on or if it's vhf or uhf - it's the same signal. When you have reception problems with digital, you don't get pixelization... you get no picture whatsoever. Pixelization doesn't really describe it well. It's more like parts of the picture becomes degraded into discernible blocks, instead of smooth and seamless.
Anyway - when you see it, it sucks!
Old 10-23-2005, 02:18 AM
Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
I think the VHF spectrum is going to other commercial uses like cell phones and pagers. Lets face it, broadcast TV is dead. Most people have cable, or satellite. Even I have to admit that it's a waste to use all the best broadcast spectrum on 5 versions of CSI when it could be used for something useful like high speed wireless internet.
I figure that once they get all those hi-bandwidth satellites up there and I can get all my network shows in HD from that instead of from my antenna - and as long as they don't starve the signal like a few broadcasters are doing, then I will get cable or sat. Hell maybe even all the cable shows will be in HD eventually. Or even really GOOD looking SD. THEN it's worth it to me to take down my antenna. Till then I ain't gonna pay them 30 bucks a month to watch their half-ass blocky-looking 'digital quality' satellite shows and then have to get my HD from my own antenna anyway. I've seen satellite quality on my relatives tv's and compared to OTA HD or even OTA SD, it just plain sucks. Most people have cable or satellite, and most people eat at Mcdonalds. When Mcdonalds starts serving much better stuff, I'll eat there. Till then I cook my own stuff (antenna)
(oh ok this was for illustration, I eat at Mc'ds once in a while! : )