Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Tinker

Garage Sale Present for Me

This past weekend the community I live near had it's annual citywide rummage sale. My son found this radio for me for Father's Day, only five dollars. When I first glanced at at it I thought it was from the 50's or 60's. It is a Model 5 or 5a United American Bosch. The orientation of the RF cans and RF tube types are a help to identifying this model. The radio use 2.5 volt filament tubes and is a TRF circuit, about 1931/32. The radio is covered in Riders' 2-13. Its missing the knobs and back cover. I may have some wood knobs that come close to matching pictures I've seen online.
This should be an easier radio to repair if it doesn't have the brittle rubber insulated wiring I'm currently replacing in a Wells Gardner 1A62-4a chassis/ Coronado console we picked up at the flea market last month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-004S.JPG (37.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-007S.JPG (38.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-008S.JPG (37.5 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-005S.JPG (38.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-006S.JPG (38.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-13-2017, 12:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
When I first glanced at at it I thought it was from the 50's or 60's.
At risk of sounding flippant, I feel compelled to ask what in the world gave you that impression? Maybe I've just been messing with old radios too long. Don't know, but this unit screams 1930s at a glance. The cabinet styling, the ST (coke bottle) style tube envelopes, are the dead giveaways. This was old in the 60s! Anyway, your son did a great job in spotting that out. It's amazing that a youngster would even know it's a radio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdKozk2 View Post
This should be an easier radio to repair if it doesn't have the brittle rubber insulated wiring I'm currently replacing in a Wells Gardner 1A62-4a chassis/ Coronado console we picked up at the flea market last month.
I feel your pain on that in a huge way! Rubber and plastic were highly experimental around the 30s. I'm doing an old Wells Gardner/Airline set right now and it's so heartbreaking to touch a wire and see it crumble. Especially if it goes somewhere like an I.F can. I am replacing the worst of it with cloth wire that I rip from some basket case chassis that I keep. I have plenty of brand new wire that to me just looks wrong in the old sets.

Really, if I'm pulling out rubber insulated wire, replacement with the same would truly be more correct I guess. It's not like I'm picky enough to be re-stuffing capacitors or any of the extreme things some of us put ourselves through. I do want everything on top and easily seen to look original as possible. I'm also working with a black dial Zenith console model with the same problem. The harness to the 6U5 "magic eye" has it bad and there's voltages of every kind and strength in that one harness. It's a labor of love!
Old 06-13-2017, 09:22 AM
M is for Memory

One thing that may be worth your time if you do a good number of sets with bad rubber wire is to find an ample source of cloth wire: a tube based organ.

A few years back I bought a Baldwin organ to scrap at a thrift shop for $10. It contained dozens of 6SN7s (I could get north of $100 for those alone), some 12AU7s and AX7s, and a awesome stereo amp chassis which I was able to get ~$250 out of (part of me wishes I'd kept it)....Among all the great parts the thing had, was the ~5' cloth harnesses connecting the keyboards and pedals to the tone chassis. Those harnesses have me set for fresh, good quality cloth wiring for the foreseeable future.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 06-14-2017, 12:42 AM
Tinker

Tubejunkie, I only saw the radio at first from a distance and only the front side. Once I saw the back and name I knew how old it was. My son is 19 already, he seems to like collecting more and leave the fixing to me so far.
I've been using older usable wire from other sets also. This hobby is a labor of love and I enjoy it too.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:19 AM
Tinker

When I put the three 24-A tetrode RF tube back in their sockets, I found that the tuner hit the tubes when rotated. Even the metal retainers didn't really help.
The radio was not designed for 24-A (ST) style tubes. I compared an older 224 globe/ balloon style tube. It is narrower in the region of the tube was being bumped.
After repairing this radio, based on its' tubes and components, it is has model 5AC chassis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-014S.JPG (36.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-029S.JPG (36.2 KB, 25 views)
Audiokarma