Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Gary G

RCA Stratoworld
Stromberg Carlson AWP-8
Hallicrafters TW-2000
Silvertone Wayfarer

I have no manuals, tags, brochures, catalogs or other collateral material for any of these radios. I'd appreciate any help you can give and will be happy to pay for copies and/or PC files.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1362.JPG (79.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1380.JPG (77.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1440.JPG (61.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1442.JPG (72.5 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1447.JPG (66.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-01-2008, 01:18 PM
AK Member

Great collection grayga those are stunning and much older than the units I usually stumble across...do you have the model numbers for any of these, I have The Perpetual Troubleshooter's Manual Volume XIV but it's from 1944, your units look like they're a few years younger...
Old 04-12-2008, 08:44 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
I've got a matched pair of GE P4930A's, rock solid units, with TV band
I regret that TV is going digital. Many of my multiband radios receive TV bands, and I greatly enjoy that capability. I'll miss it!

Chuck
Old 04-12-2008, 09:17 PM
AK Member

Wink Channel Master 6-Band

I got this one recently on eBay, don't have the model number handy. In good physical shape, electrically the VHF PSB bands are very weak, FM is fairly weak but surely usable for local stations. AM and SW are much better. The Channel Master transistor sets I have are dying as I own them, due to aging capacitors. Hopefully this attractive bigger model has some years left in it. Nice solid construction, brings me back in time as I explore the bands on it...

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Channel Master Multiband b.jpg (99.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-12-2008, 09:26 PM
AK Member

The Soundesign version of this radio does turn up on eBay from time to time...

Chuck
Audiokarma
Old 04-12-2008, 09:51 PM
AK Member

Still a very nice looking collector's radio, even if performance is poor. Is it any better on mediumwave than shortwave?

Chuck
Old 04-12-2008, 10:08 PM
AK Member

Charles...do you pick up many AM stations at night in the canyon?

Chuck
Old 04-12-2008, 10:27 PM
AK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
A westinghouse 9 transistor AM SW receiver. Looks nice but horrible sensitivity. Just the nature of the design. I went through it and got it as good as it can get, just a basic low end AM SW portable. This is from 1960.

Is this Westinghouse set any better on mediumwave than shortwave?

Chuck
Old 04-12-2008, 10:59 PM
AK Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Just got this one from Universal Radio. It's a far cry from being *mint*, but is in good, serviceable shape. Four band: AM-FM-SW1-SW2, 14 transistor, backlit dial with tuning meter, 4"x6" alnico speaker. Has a antenna input on the rear and jacks for DC in, Record Out, Aux In, Multiplex Out and Earphone. The case is ivory plastic with a heavy chrome front bezel and chrome bands on the rear panel. More than anything, I was surprised at the clean, strong audio. Not sure of the manufacturing date, but I'm thinking mid 60's. Note the dial is marked in kilo and mega cycles, not hertz and the FM band is slightly extended to 86.5 MC.
I love the dial scales on these old multiband radios. They make you want to spend time exploring the bands just to see what you can pick up. Back in the late 1960s I had a large Columbia Masterworks 4-band portable that had the same coverage as this Sony of yours. Had great, powerful audio, AM stations sounded awesome (to me at least), and of course FM offered extra clarity. I have yet to see this Masterwork on eBay...it's as if they've all disappeared from the face of the earth. Fine memories though!

Chuck
Old 04-12-2008, 11:07 PM
Super Maude

Yep, digital tuning may be more exact and convenient as far as saving frequencies with presets, but I still love the analog scale.
More fun...and to me, more real.
Audiokarma
Old 04-13-2008, 01:25 PM
AK Member

Smile Electro Brand 2971

Here's one of my favorites, the Electro Brand 2971. I've got several of them, that's how much I like it. Bands covered include AM, FM, SW from 4-12MHz, Air Band, VHF PSB, and soon-to-be defunct TV audio coverage. Audio is quite acceptable to my simple tastes, nice and clear. I've generally had to tweak the AM band on these sets to bring up the sensitivity. The tape player tends to eat tapes; to avoid that I power the set off when inserting and removing tapes and all is fine. There's a "cheapness" about this radio that I actually like.

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EB 2971.JPG (110.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Repro Battery Builder

Here's a different one for you

Ever see a Norwegian radio?

Doesn't quite fit the AC/DC portion (though it could because I believe a special power pack was available), but this David Andersen set should give you some eye candy pleasure. Got it off of the 'net ten years ago, recently built a proper AD3-style battery for it. Since I don't have any Scandinavian battery graphics, I decided to do the cover in French Pile Wonder. My adaptor uses a DC-DC converter powered by five C cells.

For a four-tube set, it brings in stations on AM and the three SW bands beautifully.

Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg davidanderson.jpg (88.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg folipinsidedavidanderson.jpg (79.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg folipinsides.jpg (96.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg finishedfolip.jpg (82.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-19-2008, 12:51 PM
<----Zenith C845

Was the front of the radio damaged somehow? Looks like the entire front panel is full of cracks, as if it had been forcibly struck.

The chassis looks awfully small in relation to the size of the cabinet. Must be packed underneath and a nightmare to work on.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:54 PM
Repro Battery Builder

Heh--no, the front panel is crackle-finish paint. It's a pretty simple radio for its performance.
Old 09-19-2008, 01:47 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by tune tuner View Post
I got this one recently on eBay, don't have the model number handy. In good physical shape, electrically the VHF PSB bands are very weak, FM is fairly weak but surely usable for local stations. AM and SW are much better. The Channel Master transistor sets I have are dying as I own them, due to aging capacitors. Hopefully this attractive bigger model has some years left in it. Nice solid construction, brings me back in time as I explore the bands on it...

Chuck
That radio reminds me of an "Air Castle" (not to be confused with the Aircastle radios of the 1930s) multi-band (AM/FM/SW/VHF low and high) transistor portable I picked up in the trash in my old neighborhood about 30 years ago. (Regrettably, I don't have it any longer, as it got lost in a move about eight years ago.) Aside from the branding, the differences in the cabinet style, and the use of an eight-position rotary switch as the band selector, my set could have passed for any of the multiband sets which were popular in the '60s-'70s. The set worked like a champ while I had it. I lived in a Cleveland suburb at the time, and this radio could receive every station (AM and FM) from the city just fine. Wish I would have held on to it, as now I live in an area where certain stations either do not reach at all or else they are very weak, almost unlistenable, on some of my radios. I now have a Zenith TransOceanic 1000-1 that I won in an eBay auction several years ago, however, that works every bit as well on AM and SW as, if not better than, my Air Castle portable. The only things my T/O does not have are FM broadcast, as it was made in the late '50s when FM radio in the US was in its infancy, VHF public-service bands, and a tuning meter. Every now and then I think about bidding on a Royal 3000 (a Royal 1000 with FM) when I see one on eBay; oh well. One of these days . . .

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Audiokarma