Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShanMan View Post
It doesn't have the badge nor do I see any indication that there ever was one (screw holes or what have you). That is pretty cool though.

Mine also doesn't have that cylindrical thing in the corner, but it does have the holder. What is the cylindrical thing?

It doesn't have the safety glass. That explains why the plastic bezel isn't attached in any way - lol. I can see 2 screw holes at the top that are obviously related to holding the safety glass in but I can't tell from your picture what the retainer looks like. Would you mind taking a picture of it for me?

Thanks for the help and info!
Its just a strip of metal across the top that holds the glass in it wold be easy to make. I have seen plastic trim in the exact shape at the hardware store that could be painted gold and would probably work fine. I will look around here and see if I have one off another set I used for parts. The cylinder thing is the 45rpm record adapter. I see yours has a round badge or something on the speaker grill across from where it says Deluxe thats not on mine what is that?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC077012.jpg (69.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07703.jpg (69.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07702.jpg (37.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-21-2014, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

So perhaps just some angle aluminum painted? Of course if you find the real thing, that would be better.

I never remember seeing those 45 adapters growing up (I was born in '70). I only remember the flat plastic ones. Don't suppose you have a spare adapter in the parts from your parts set?
Old 09-22-2014, 01:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sorry. Almost forgot about your question of the "badge". It doesn't have any words on it but here's a pic...

Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
So perhaps just some angle aluminum painted? Of course if you find the real thing, that would be better.

I never remember seeing those 45 adapters growing up (I was born in '70). I only remember the flat plastic ones. Don't suppose you have a spare adapter in the parts from your parts set?
I bet the angle aluminum painted would work fine. I will still look more around here to see if I find something. Thanks for sending the picture of the badge.
I don't have a extra 45rpm adapter but Ebay would be a good place to watch for one. I was born Nov. 68 so the Packard Bell record player was before my time to but I remember the plastic ones.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

From what I can surmise, that adapter is a "VM 1101". Do you see any sort of model # on your adapter? Looks like this one: http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catal...29&Categories=

I don't really want to spend $29 for a refurbished one at this point, but I found this one on ebay which appears to be the same one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/METAL-Vintag...item2a44217512

It's an auction so who knows what it'll actually go for, but I'd pay the opening price if that's the right one. Does that one also look right to you? The action has great pics so I think the comparison should be easy.
Audiokarma
Old 09-22-2014, 04:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
From what I can surmise, that adapter is a "VM 1101". Do you see any sort of model # on your adapter? Looks like this one: http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catal...29&Categories=

I don't really want to spend $29 for a refurbished one at this point, but I found this one on ebay which appears to be the same one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/METAL-Vintag...item2a44217512

It's an auction so who knows what it'll actually go for, but I'd pay the opening price if that's the right one. Does that one also look right to you? The action has great pics so I think the comparison should be easy.
It looks identical to mine Ill bet it will work. I have a friend in Hillsboro
that has a bunch of old record changers I will call him and see if he has one or knows if all the adapters are the same that looks like mine.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2014, 10:56 PM
<----Zenith C845

TheShanMan:

That badge on your PB combo looks like a logo the company used for most if not all of its TVs. Most TV manufacturers of the '50s had logos similar to this, such as RCA Victor's first one, a stylized "RCA" against a red dot. Many '50s-vintage RCA Victor radios and TVs also had a plastic script logotype of the words "RCA Victor" as well. The round logo and the RCA script logotype were replaced in the late 1960s, 1968 if memory serves, by a logo made of block letters, which remained until the company went offshore.

RCA also used the round logo on its television test patterns and station identification slides for its operated TV stations; for the former, the logo and the words "Television System" appeared in the lower right corner of the test pattern. Stations WNBT (now WNBC) in New York and WNBQ (now WMAQ-TV) in Chicago were two stations which used this type of test pattern, although most NBC O&O (owned and operated) stations of the '50s probably used it or a variation of it until at least the early '60s. WKYC-TV in Cleveland was an NBC O&O from 1948 to 1965 and from 1965 to 1972, but its test pattern did not show the RCA logo nor the NBC "snake" logo, so it was an exception, although it is entirely possible that the station's test pattern used from '48 to perhaps 1959 or '60 did have the "RCA Television System" and RCA logo.

I was born July 1956 and remember the cylindrical 45 RPM record adapter well, as my folks had an RCA Victor 45-RPM single-speed changer (which plugged into the phono jack on TVs or radios of the '50s) with such an adaptor integrated into the spindle (i. e. the adapter was the spindle). The turntable was attached to the spindle, so if anything broke or was damaged on either the whole thing had to be replaced as one unit.

The changer was meant to play only 45s and had no amplifier, so the only way one could listen to records played on it was to plug the output cable, which was connected directly to the cartridge, into the phono jack of a radio or TV so equipped. The TV's/radio's volume control, of course, was used to control audio volume. Since many TVs and radios of the '50s, especially consoles, had excellent audio systems and huge speakers, it was not uncommon to find phono jacks and TV-phono selectors on the rear chassis aprons of these sets. I have a 1960 Zenith C-845 AM-FM high-fidelity radio with such a jack, but I wouldn't use the jack for anything (even an iPod) today because the blocking capacitor between the jack and the chassis is almost certainly defective--read a shock hazard waiting to happen.

Of course, I'd replace the capacitor before even thinking of plugging anything in the phono jack, as the capacitor is meant to isolate the jack from the chassis. With passive devices like the RCA single-speed turntable, the worst that could happen if the capacitor were defective or missing would be the user might get a shock if he or she touched the RCA pin plug and a grounded object at the same time; with solid-state gear such as an iPod or any other modern mp3 music player, however, the unit itself could be damaged or destroyed by AC line voltage appearing right at the jack's hot center pin.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 09-23-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi ShanMan,

I'm the guy that Damen mentioned in his post. I have several spare 45 adapters, you welcome to give one a try and bring it back should you have any problem with it. Many of those changers were OEMed by Voice of Music and are functionally similar/the same so usually the differences are just cosmetic. I also have some safety glass saved from an old set, you're welcome to see if it just happens to be the right size for you. I think Damen gave you my contact info, but if not feel free to send me a PM.

-Dan