Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sanyo AVM3258G "No signal" error...

I moved this TV to a different room today, and got a "no signal" message when hooked up to replace a smaller TV on the same cable... Both TVs were working fine before the switch... Went thru the menu and auto channel search a few times with the same result... I think the Sanyo was using the Video connection with RCA jacks right off the Fios box in previous location,,, but wont "see" CATV cable jack,,, or CATV or RCAs off antenna converter box in new location... Presently have smaller TV working off new location, with CATV and antenna, so inputs are working...
Any ideas are welcome,
Thanks...
Old 06-30-2018, 10:58 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Are you saying that it doesn't see baseband RCA video input as well as RF from antenna or cable? In other words, recognizes no input of any kind? Not familiar with model numbers. Is this an analog set or digital? Does it have an HDMI input?
Old 07-01-2018, 01:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for replying... Correct,,, it doesn't see any input,, CATV, antenna thru digital converter box, or VCR connected to either CATV jack or RCA video jack... Its from 1998, so its analog(needs a converter for antenna,, or CATV box),,, All on board features work,,, remote, menu, etc...

This is closest manual I could find, but mine is 3258,,, manual is 3259.... No HDMI jack...
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...Avm-3259g.html

I just slid the board out and closely inspected for cracks around the tuner box, and jack panels, as well as the other solder joints,,, as it had a loose IC a few years ago, that affected the display(horizontal solid line in the center),, that I re-soldered,,, it was working fine until we moved it to another room to replace a smaller TV...
Old 07-01-2018, 06:03 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

I hope someone more familiar with it can offer some advice.

Since you do have scan and on-screen display, maybe checking voltages around the input section would find something? I notice the schematic has a voltage chart.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for replying,,, I think the input board or tuner may have problems... With the history of finding cracked solder joints on the board before, I think carrying the set may have flexed it again, its very heavy and the board isn't supported very well...
Something stupid had to happen...
Yeah, maybe someone with experience with these may have some input...
Audiokarma
Old 07-01-2018, 10:44 PM
M is for Memory

You can probably find a used CRT set with comperable specs free on Craigslist, and cheap at thrift stores...If there is no sentimental attachment, and your time has decent monitary value it may just be a better value to swap it out for something comperable or better...90's stuff was made to be throwaway sometimes it's best not to fight it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-02-2018, 05:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
You can probably find a used CRT set with comperable specs free on Craigslist, and cheap at thrift stores...If there is no sentimental attachment, and your time has decent monitary value it may just be a better value to swap it out for something comperable or better...90's stuff was made to be throwaway sometimes it's best not to fight it.
Don't need another set,,, this one is larger than the one presently in service,,,, if I can find the problem, I'll use it,,,, be easier than getting it back down!
I'm retired, so time doesn't matter... If I can sort this one, I'll learn something, have it to use, and get it out of the way!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

Found how to access EPROM codes,,, don't know how they could get changed, but I noticed they don't match the codes in the manual I posted... better put it on hold til I find the proper manual...
Old 07-20-2018, 07:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Update...
Got a VCR working thru the TV,,, Seems set is stuck in Video mode,, so it sees a VCR... Connected CATV and antenna inputs thru VCR and they work,,, Too many connections in signal path for perfect picture/audio,, but now I know that the problem is software rather than physical damage to the set... This will have to do, til a manual or proper default instructions show up...
Old 07-20-2018, 08:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

On these Sanyos a dead tuner is usually no 33 volts to the tuner.
Its an open resistor. IIRC a 33K 1 or 2 watt. You can measure the
voltages under the tuner. Been years but look for the following.
IF output ?V
AGC ?V
33V 33V
5V 5V
9V or 12V 9V or 12V
Data depends on activity
Enable " " "
If the manual looks the same you can usually use it for most things.
Tuners are trouble also especially the IC that handles tuning
voltage & band switching.

Good luck
Zeno
LFOD !
Audiokarma
Old 07-20-2018, 09:35 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for replying,,, I can't find a manual/schematic that is close enough to use,,, I can look for a 33K resistor, and see if its open tho...
This set worked fine thru the Video port using RCA outs from Fios box before it was moved... There is only a CATV out from the Fios box in new location tho... The set is on Channel 3 and it sees the VCR,,, can't understand why it doesn't see antenna box RCA outs...
I'll keep trying,,, Probably something simple, that I can't find without a manual...

PS,,,
Just tried TVs RCA jacks without VCR and good picture and audio are back,,, still can't get CATV jack to work, but antenna gets a better pic than Fios anyway!!

Last edited by knockbill; 07-20-2018 at 10:41 AM.