Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Sudden influx of CRT sets at Goodwill

My local Goodwill has always had some CRTs for sale, usually a half dozen or less, but today when I went in they were all over the place, I counted 29 of them in all different sizes.

I don't know if they're seeing more demand or they just had a bunch of sets to get rid of but they must be accepting them here.

The Mormon thrift a few miles away never has CRTs any more, except the occasional 5" set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0855.jpg (63.0 KB, 188 views)
Old 08-26-2017, 07:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am still saddened when that 19" Sears electronic tuning set showed up HERE, one from my child hood, and I couldn't afford to have it shipped to me. I never saw that set again.

I REALLY wanted that set, it was my fathers TV, he bought it after working delivering newspapers.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:33 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Your lucky seeing them Eric

The goodwill in this area does not take them...
Old 08-28-2017, 08:59 AM
M is for Memory

One goodwill near me will sporadically have 1-3 CRT sets usually 13-25". It is in a city location, and the managers probably realized that there is a small market for those among local gamers.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 08-28-2017, 10:47 AM
Portable Hoarder

Man, my goodwills never have tubes. Only the Christian School thrift store occasionally has CRTs, but usually only ever one ~19" with only RF input from the mid-late 80's. Usually not anything particularly interesting. Never even seen a portable set around here, either.
Audiokarma
Old 08-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Peanut Head

Our George Will doesn't accept CRT tee-vees...

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

What often causes an onslaught of unwanted CRT sets around here is usually a motel changing over to HD sets and trying to give away a few dozen CRT models. Really hurts the market for those of us who are trying to sell a CRT set for a few bucks. Local Goodwill won't take CRT sets, but Salvation Army does, usually pricing them at $1 - hardly worth their time and effort in wrestling them around in the store.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:29 AM
Portable Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
Our George Will doesn't accept CRT tee-vees...
I think ours doesn't, either, but it's not like I'd ever give away a CRT to find out myself :P

Our independent thrift stores technically do, but I regularly see dozens of tubes at the recycling center or dump, unfortunately. I've pleaded with them to try and let me take some of the more unique sets, but apparently once the items are dropped off at the recycling center, they're government property and it's a federal offense to take anything. Even my friend Ulysses S. Grant wasn't able to convince the guys running the show to let me pick through, if you catch my drift.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have not been up to the goodwill here since February because of their price jack up.I'm glad that they let you take photos Eric.Here they gave me a dirty look when I was taking photos of the gear .I think they have no interest in CRT sets since I see most of the CRT set at the curb in the last few years.I remember my ex boss dumped about a dozen or more CRT computer monitors on them years ago when the company upgraded to flat screens and they take them in which was a shock to me as they accepted them.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:48 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekintosh View Post
I think ours doesn't, either, but it's not like I'd ever give away a CRT to find out myself :P

Our independent thrift stores technically do, but I regularly see dozens of tubes at the recycling center or dump, unfortunately. I've pleaded with them to try and let me take some of the more unique sets, but apparently once the items are dropped off at the recycling center, they're government property and it's a federal offense to take anything. Even my friend Ulysses S. Grant wasn't able to convince the guys running the show to let me pick through, if you catch my drift.
Pencil necks.

Most wouldn't know quality if it were applied with a sledgehammer, but once the latest technology they've demanded to have on the cheap goes belly-up a few dozen times, maybe they'll finally be convinced to drop a fiver on older TVs.

DVD piracy is a federal offense too, punishable by a nickel in the joint an a quarter-million fine, but does anyone ever see that law enforced? I certainly don't.
Audiokarma
Old 05-31-2018, 07:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnx64 View Post
I am still saddened when that 19" Sears electronic tuning set showed up HERE, one from my child hood, and I couldn't afford to have it shipped to me. I never saw that set again.

I REALLY wanted that set, it was my fathers TV, he bought it after working delivering newspapers.
Can you give a description of that 19" Sears TV you're looking for? I have one made in 1984-85, non-remote Varactor tuned with 12 buttons arranged vertically along the right side. Fake wood grain cabinet and front panel. It's currently my daily watcher bedroom set and has vertical issues, but if I decide to part with it I'd save it if it's what you're looking for.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

I try to take a walk at lunch, though I never know where my route will take me. Often I just walk around the parking lot in a shopping center. One day last week I walked around back of a Goodwill and watched a guy using a fork truck to mash and then toss in the dumpster a decent looking nightstand and set of shelves. It did not exactly encourage me to drop off any donations for his careful handling.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

I don't think I've ever seen CRT TV or monitors at my Goodwill. Salvation Army, I might have seen them in the past but not any time recently. Not saying much as Salvation Army doesn't seem to get much of anything any more, not sure what happened but after the remodel about 10 years ago, it's hardly worth even stopping by. Habitat has several CRTs, but they don't seem to sell very well, seems to be the same ones whenever I go in.

I suspect in my area it's hard to even give a CRT away. I went to an estate sale recently. Second day of the sale and there's a huge Sony WEGA sitting on the floor with a big free sign on it. Obviously no takers. But the big LCD sitting next to it had a SOLD sign. Another sale some time ago, saw a 90s RCA 25" or so sitting in the bedroom, free sign too, last day of the sale and again no takers.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:11 PM
TheUniversalDave1

A few weeks ago I rescued a 1997 Trinitron from a thrift store dumpster. Left my number in case they ever see an older set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4102.jpg (79.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-01-2018, 06:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Salvation Army here takes and sells CRTs but usually only one at a time, and not regularly.

I'm hoping a little combo unit with a VCR will show up but no luck yet.
Audiokarma