Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Found my childhood TV...

These past few days, I've been helping my parents clean out our attic in preparation for getting some weatherization done. Imagine my shock when my assumed long gone childhood bedroom TV was found under a ton of stuff!

https://i.imgur.com/8spDQ5q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/B6NMKye.jpg

Sure it's just a Daewoo but the Portland brand has me curious, as I literally can't find anything about Portland branded TVs. I assume it was an in-house brand for some retailer, but does anyone have an idea?
Old 05-30-2018, 07:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

IIRC the first Portland sets I saw were abt 1980. They were Toshiba
clones & actually not bad The company was called Portland Wire & ?? .
May have been a buy out or Daewoo owned them. Maybe someone
remembers more.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 05-31-2018, 10:36 AM
sampson159

i bought a daewoo 25 inch set at a "special" warehouse sale.the crt died after 30 minutes!we took it back and their"ace service tech"told me it was a cheap set and thats how they are supposed to look."its a daewoo,not a sony"the arrogant snob said.i pressed the issue and they opened it up to check the crt right in front of me.i had told them that if this crt is good,i would take it home and never bother them again.the crt was rca and it had been swapped from a repair shop in new york.a repair tag was inside.the crt tested very weak possibly blasted a few times by a over zealous tect.it died rapidly.they agreed to change out the crt.we got the call it was ready.i had them power it up and after 10 minutes it died again.crt wasnt changed,just hit again.got a refund but i have had a few daewoo products and they seemed to be ok.not high quality or over engineered but decent buys for the money.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

The Portland TVs were popular for a few years in the early - mid 1980s in the Southeast US. They were sold by the Service Merchandise catalog stores, and other discount/department stores.
They were the cheapest brand of sets sold in the stores that carried them. I recall 12" B&W and 13" and 19" color sets, all no-frills knob tuned sets. They seemed to disappear once Samsung and GoldStar (now LG) took over the bottom end of the TV market.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice find!
Audiokarma
Old 05-31-2018, 11:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2mep View Post
The Portland TVs were popular for a few years in the early - mid 1980s in the Southeast US. They were sold by the Service Merchandise catalog stores, and other discount/department stores.
They were the cheapest brand of sets sold in the stores that carried them. I recall 12" B&W and 13" and 19" color sets, all no-frills knob tuned sets. They seemed to disappear once Samsung and GoldStar (now LG) took over the bottom end of the TV market.
Cheap as heck and yet it still works! Probably needs new capacitors though, but if I'm going to do a cap job on something it's probably going to be my 1982 GE or my little 1989 Zenith Space Cube.