Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.
View Poll Results: Which is your favorite?
Star Trek (Classic) 69 41.82%
The Next Generation 74 44.85%
Deep Space Nine 8 4.85%
Voyager 11 6.67%
Enterprise 3 1.82%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Heyyyyyy

Well,
I have to say, I own the Origional Series, TNG and the first 3 seasons of DS9. I love it all. But, I love science-fiction in general, because I also own the first 4 seasons of Babylon 5. Also own some Dr. Who, some MST3K, and a crap load of movies. And don't get me started on the books.
Anyway, love star trek. All of it.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Rolling Along

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPA
So, I'm the only fan of DS9?
I'm with you. Deep space 9 had the best plots and the most developed characters and by far the most and coolest aliens on the crew. Quark is one of the strongest characters the show ever had. What other Star Trek character could sneer: “you don’t have the lobes to do it”.

DS9 had political intrigue, like an occupied planet, two different alien hotties. (Kira would kick your ass and Jadzia would invite you to count her spots.) None of the other series had a resident shape shifter. There was more going on in a single episode of DS9 than any five episodes of the original or Enterprise. Besides it’s the only series that many of the scenes take place in a bar.

There, I’ve said it.

- Pete
Old 03-14-2006, 04:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cool

Quote:
So, I'm the only fan of DS9?
No I like DS9, but then again I like all the Trek incarnations.

I would have to say that TOS is the best as it was the first. It was very daring for the time as it broached a lot of hot topics, but disguised them as allegories. The episode 'Arena' where Kirk fights the Gorn was predicting the Israeli settlement issue before Israeli had set up its first in the West Bank. Well not exactly, but you get my point.

It also predicted desktop computers, cell phones, cd rom, and stealth technology.

And I always love how the past saw the future. Whether its TOS, vintage Flash Gordon, or Art Deco, it was the way the people of the time thought the future was going to be. All predictions saw themselves as cutting edge, yet seem so innocent, if not archaic now. TOS was predicting the future yet looks so 1960s now with the velour shirts, surf riffs, and Checkov's mod haircut.

And those green babes were hot.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Anybody see "How William Shatner Changed the World" the other night? Think it was on Discovery, & it went into how much of the stuff they had on "TOS" has actually come to pass. And Shatner was the host, in his usual humble, modest, "aw shucks" style...I never know if Shatner is REALLY that impressed w/himself, or is he pulling our leg...-Sandy G.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:56 PM
FlorianW

I voted for next generation because i just love the increased complexity over the original Star Trek. Altough they are both awsome! I watched a bit od Deep Space 9 and loved the battles with the Dominion, and well the new Enterprise is just pure crap. No two ways about it in my opinion.

-Flo
Audiokarma
Old 04-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Certifiable Audio Junkie

Ok, as a serious treckie who has see envery episode of Start Treck ever (but never been to any convention, I am proud to say), I need to chime in here.

I partially agree with many of you: TNG was proabaly the best overall. However, you must sutract Seasons one an two from that, which were rather lame, in my opinion. That Leaves Seasons 3-6 as the best, and 1 & 2 (especially 1) as the worst.

A friend of mine called DS9 "Deep S**t Nine", and while I would not go that far, I really hated stupid soap-opera nature of the show. DS9 annoyed me by constantly focasing on the Cardasians, and Bjorans, who were both kind of lame, and annoying aliens IMO.

Voyager was proabaly the closest to the Original series. With the exception of Season 1, in which they constantly encounterd this one stupid alien, it was really quite good. And that show had one of the best Star Trek characters ever (second only to Spock IMO) Seven of Nine!

Enterprise was pretty good too, but I think that the name, and the stupid theme music killed it. They were trying to break away from the shackels of the Treck world a little too hard I think. But they still did pretty good job of it. It's too bad that it died a premature death.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:29 PM
8-trackin', Hank, Sr. man

Original all the way!
Old 04-18-2006, 12:25 AM
Johnny Thunders - LAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen65
I’m assuming you’re talking WUAB.
If so like their commercial said at the time.
“Channel 43 plays favorites” You could tune in
Superhost and catch a Godzilla flick while you’re at it.
I remember watching the final Superhost episode! 43 could make a fiar killing by releasing a DVD of Superhost outtakes!

Still talkin' WUAB: "The crack of the bat, the roar of the crowd, watch the fun, it's here everyone! baseball with the Tribe...lookin' good, on Channel 43!"
Old 07-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Johnny Thunders - LAMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charivari
Now, while TNG was a very nice re-envisioning of the Star Trek universe, there are only a few gems of episodes and a whole lot of -- again, stilted acting and rehashed stories. Watching the reruns on Spike TV is highly repetitious, most every episode is just a slight modification on the one before, it seems. Now, DS9 was the superior show (imo) towards the end. There was actual, in depth character development, and story lines that extended over a whole season and even across seasons.

- JP
I agree, however, I think that TNG was made to be sort of a pick-it-up-anytime series where DS9 was not. Just like TOS, TNG was written so you could go 6 years between episodes and still be in the loop. DS9 needed that thick plotline to keep viewers coming back week after week. I like a lot of the TNG stuff...although Season 1 is very tough for me to watch nowadays.

And Dr. Bashir was awesome in Syriana!!
Old 07-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Respect.

Location: Oscillating between St. Louis, MO and Ypsilanti, MI
For me TNG was/is teh besto. Picard's confrontations and assimilation by the borg were the stuff of legends. I grew up watching TNG with my parents, which puts me in a bit of an awkward spot with most peers my age (20). Most people my age have no recollection of Picard, the Borg, etc. I always get strange looks when I quote random TNG sayings . I must say, however, that my favorite character in TNG was the Q. The cat and mouse games between Picard and Q were some of the highlights to the series in my oh so humble opinion.
Audiokarma
Old 07-06-2006, 03:08 PM
AK Member

I grew up with the original, but liked voyager better for the acting. I never liked deep space nine and Patrick got on my nerves. Incidentally, Leonard Nimoy is my sons' piano teacher's uncle. Iwas told he is not a nice guy in person.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:09 PM
Private Investigations

I grew up on TOS. The three musketeer thing between Bones, Spock and the Capt. is classic. Truly a paradigm shifting event.

I have all five series on DVD.

TNG rubbed me the wrong way...I don't know - maybe too cushy, smug, and politically correct.

Voyager ranks a strong second IMHO...strong character development, and I'm in love with Janeway / Kate Mulgrew...what a woman!

I throughly enjoyed Enterprise, and was truly saddened by the series demise.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:24 AM
modern primitive

I love 'em all but TNG beats the original but just by a frog's hair. I think TNG is what Roddenberry would have done in the 60's had he a decent budget.

Still, the original series had fantasic castmembers with obvious chemistry and a real sense of humor. And there is no one like SPOCK. Leonard Nimoy was perfect.

And Patrick Stewart's Picard is a close second. The man is a great actor and fit the part like it was written especially for him.

I had the great pleasure of attending some lectures given by Gene Roddenberry - this was right before the first Star Trek movie came out - and I have to say it was some of the best hours I've ever spent. He was brilliant, articulate, and utterly fascinating.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:34 PM
Banned

KHANNNN, KHANNNN!

The original show is by far the best spawning a classic film Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan as it so happens I’ve got Star Trek II on now. Why are you here? Oh dear I don’t like what Khan stuffs down there ears bugger that!
Old 05-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Dusty Chalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg196
Hey, was the Klingon forehead-evolution ever explained?!?!?!!
No, but there's a funny episode of Next Generation in which they revisit the Tribbles episode brilliantly, in which it is mentioned. IIRC, Worf's response is, "I don't want to talk about it."
Audiokarma