Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

heh-heh-heh... so...
Our daughter & son-in-law had an elderly (in flatpanel age... it's like dog years!) Samsung 32 inch flatpanel TV. They got it from CL some years back.

Well -- it died last week. Son-in-law reported it went pop and then wouldn't come out of standby.

Said S-I-L knows me well enough to say, "hey, if you want to check it out, you're welcome to it!". :-)

I figured almost certainly one (or more) borked PS capacitors so I said, sure, I'll take it... I figured worst case, he and I can go halfsies with him on the electronics recycling fee at their town dump!

So, yesterday, I popped the back off (easy) -- and was disappointed to find... no obviously popped electrolytics :-(

I am not sure what my question is here. I think this is my question (!): is it worth doing any board level troubleshooting on this? Maybe check ESR on the electrolytics... and/or pull 'em out and check their capacitance values?

I am a babe in the woods with "modern" TVs -- and with soiled state stuff in general (I am a vacuum tube kind of person), so any suggestions/advice are greatly appreciated & gratefully received!

Thanks for your attention.

PS I have pulled out the P/S board, too :-)

EDIT:

1) The fuse at bottom right (looks like AC mains) is good.
2) That thermistor (with some of the infamous brown glue goo on it) looks kind of icky... but I don't see any signs of, e.g., overheating such as discoloration of the board under or near it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_8582.jpg (87.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8583 (2).jpg (101.8 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by mhardy6647; 06-29-2017 at 02:49 PM.